Sunday School

Sunday School December 9th 2018

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Strega 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

The War on Christian privilege at Christmas continues. Many non-Christians would beg to differ if there is even a hint of this war. More people than ever celebrate Christmas in a non-religious way so maybe Christmas has lost already.

Here is a very well written letter from an educated Christian apologist. Can you spot the fallacies in his arguments?

Christians are upset that two non-Christians did not recite the Apostles’ Creed at the funeral of former President George H. W. Bush.

The Cuddly One is still worried about homosexuals and their fashionable lifestyles.

Why aren’t you an atheist Q&A?

Religion is society that worships itself.

This weeks’ Woo: Legislative Alchemy 2018.

Climate Change: New study shows that Greenland’s melting ice sheet has “gone into overdrive”.

I forgot to reference this story last week as I could find little online about it. Fathers also pass on Mitochondrial DNA. We don’t start life with a blank page so I blame the parents if we end up evolving to be good bullshitters! Meanwhile scientists are getting more irate with the “CRISPER baby” scandal.

New discovery adds to the debate on how the Earth was formed.

In reality Quantum Mechanics is all over the place, probably.

The new Evolution deniers.

AlphaZero wins every game, every time.

A Chinese rocket will land on the dark side of the moon.

How language shapes our thoughts.

This week I am reading this book: Close encounters with Humankind.

Some photographs taken during 2018.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video:  A snapshot of Evangelical hell. The President’s favorite things with Randy Rainbow. The Milky Way from a different perspective.

Have a great week everyone!!

I will be traveling in the USA next week so it looks like no Sunday School! First time in six years!! If anyone would like to stand in……?

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I’m not sure anyone could step into your shoes Reg.

I would love to see a one-off Asianne (feminist?) Sunday School special, I don’t know if this can happen.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

How language shapes our thoughts.

While concrete concepts are mainly made of information derived from perceptual experience, abstract concepts are mainly made of language.

For me, abstract concepts have a kind of structure that is described by language, and the goal is to represent them pictorially if possible.

The concept of “freedom”, for me, is made up of a collection of related experiences, but is described by language.

It’s definitely true that concrete examples make abstract concepts easier to understand.  I have a hard time dealing with pure abstraction, maybe most people do.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Religion is society that worships itself.

– it’s hard to argue with this point of view.  We all have things that we hold sacred, and that we worship.  It’s been said that the sacralised things within society are those which potentially lead to social upset or dischord if violated, such as the marriage contract.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.