Sunday School

Sunday School February 17th 2019

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

A belated Darwin Day to all!

As far as I can tell all religions are mostly just cults created to mentally and sexually abuse children as Southern Baptists complete with the depravity of the Catholic Church whose scandals never seem to end.

The Evangelicals and the “abolition of civil rights” who would like to make Christianity the official religion. It is not as if elected Republicans are even aware of their vanity. We will probably need to have new civil rights codes to protect us from discrimination! We have to keep the Project Blitz brigade in line. Remember the Sleep of Reason produces monsters…..as anti-atheist statutes still foul 8 state constitutions while UK Humanists call for review into Christian persecution to be broadened to other groups.

This Turkish preacher would probably beat his own seven year old wife for talking to an atheist.

10 new questions about Atheism.

This weeks’ Woo: The myth of Vaccine Shedding.

Climate Change: Insect numbers and the collapse of nature.

Some podcasts you might find interesting.

I always keep some whiskey handy in case I see a snake….which I also keep handy, said W.C. Fields.

Atenism, the world’s first monotheistic religion was very short lived.

Genetics and race: How do we have this awkward conversation?

Understanding China’s Confucian edge in the global AI Race. Human Evolution is all about genetic trade-offs. We don’t all need to become more intelligent. Maybe that is why AI will eventually outsmart us because it will not have a myriad of traits to select from and can put more energy into evolving its own intelligence as it will need to become smarter in order to survive.

I think that as a rule all good scientific theories are born from intelligent guesswork, to paraphrase Feynman but I guess the person that solves the problem of quantum gravity will be from a small team.

I believe THEY are trying to make us believe that the Internet is to blame for the rise in Conspiracy theories.

Did our ancestors think like us and have similar brain patterns of consciousness to us? (See also first video linked below).

Long Reads: Do you think we would be better people if we could talk with the animals?

We pause to remember: Phan Thi Kim, the Napalm Girl.

This week I am reading this book: The Four Horsemen: The discussion that sparked an Atheist Revolution.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video:  A 3D scan of the human brain. Lisa Randall on Atoms, Dark Matter and Energy. It’s a miracle….or is it?

Ivy
    Participant

I’ve become very interested in understanding the differences and information we could learn from understanding our genetic codes particularly when it comes to mental health. I wonder what it will take to break through all the childish nonsense that surrounds it all and just get to the facts.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@asianne – you might be interested in this book that’s just come out:

“Good Reasons for Bad Feelings: Insights from the Frontier of Evolutionary Psychiatry” by Randolph Nesse

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.