Sunday School

Sunday School February 27th 2022

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  TheEncogitationer 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Most Americans are no longer 100% confident in the existence of a god. Well, if you are between 1% and 99.9% confident then you are an agnostic. A theist must be 100%. Whenever theists have doubts, they move into the agnostic camp. Do you agree?

Will SCOTUS allow some citizens to legally discriminate against other citizens? Christian privilege already exists but it will be dismantled. Losing the legal right to discriminate does not mean you are being persecuted.

Meanwhile Christian Nationalists are having hands free orgasms in their churches over Putin and without the use of visual aids.

A woman speaks for her god on behalf of the Catholic Church to let Catholics know that they don’t need to be re-sprinkled. Phew, I was expecting a theological quagmire.

Teachers around the world don’t want to waste time having children pray to some imaginary Creator of the Universe.

The role of religion in the conflict between Russia and Ukraine. How should we respond to Putin and why does Ukraine matter?

World of Woo: You have been duped. Don’t fall for it. (In my head I am singing along to this!)

Environment: A quick guide to climate change jargon.

An old article by AC Grayling – Religion, a force for evil?

The different types of atheism.

The leading edge of social justice is secular.

Philosophy of objectification: Why everything changes when someone looks at us.

The demons are blowing out Carl Sagan’s candles in the dark.

Life may actually flash before our eyes as we die.

Would you like to eat a side of CRISPR fries with your vegetables?

Magpies, they just wanna have fun.

Long Reads: The man rethinking the definition of reality. On the Environmental impacts of Computation and Data Storage. Supervised drug consumption rooms save lives. Have all the library clocks struck thirteen?

Sunday Book Club: Republic of Fear. I am currently reading it because Hitchens recommended it.

Some photographs taken last week.   Yevgenia catches a Lucky Break.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video: TED – How I made friends with Reality. The Fundamental Patterns that explain the Universe. The Decline of the Catholic Church in Ireland – no bullshit version.

Have a great week everyone!

The war will end and the leaders will shake hands. That old woman will keep waiting for her martyred son. And those children will keep waiting for their hero father. I don’t know who sold our homeland but I saw who paid the price.

Mahmoud Darwish.

Belle Rose
    Participant

Meanwhile Christian Nationalists are having hands free orgasms in their churches over Putin and without the use of visual aids.

Hahahahahaha!!!! It continues to amaze me how stupid people can be.

Belle Rose
    Participant

I really hope the Russian people turn on their own leader and say “off with his head” and get rid of that slimey asshole. Good bye and good riddance.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Belle Rose.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!!

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

There are just so many lessons to be drawn from the present war of Russia with Ukraine.

One, Putin’s claims about Russians in Ukraine–as with Hitler’s claim’s about Germans in the Sudatenlan–show that you can’t just automatically believe everybody who screams “racism” and “discrimination.”

These claims should pass the muster of rational and empirical evidence–no different than claims of the Supernatural–not just on someone’s mere say-so. Words have meanings.

Two, every individual and every nation needs the skills, energy, resources, tools, and armaments to be able tell any aggressor “fuck you” at a moment’s notice. Any law or policy that stands in the way of building and trading for those necessities–such as Biden’s Executive Orders on energy or the 20,000+ gun control laws in the U.S.–needs to be shoved aside and repealed right away.

Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy sees the sense of this and is distributing arms like candy to his citizens and gladly taking donations of anti-tank weapons from Germany. Anybody know of an ammo donation drop-box in the U.S.?

Three, the immortal words of Frederick Douglass ring as true here and now as in his own place and time:

“Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.”

So far, the Ukrainians are not quietly submitting to Putin’s tyranny and are doing a lot to resist him. 80-year-old men with nothing but changes of clothes and lunch have volunteered to fight with the Ukrainian defenders! An old woman is giving packs of sunflower seeds to the Russian invaders, so tha the seeds may grow when the Russians are planted in the ground! Civilians are changing road signs, putting up barriers, both non-living and living, to the Russian invaders! Ukraine is telling the Red Cross to be ready to haul off 3500 dead Russian invaders! It goes on and on!

Ukrainian Woman Offers Sunflower Seeds to Armed Russian Soldier
    https://www.telegraphindia.com/world/russia-ukraine-crisis-ukrainian-woman-offers-sunflower-seeds-to-armed-russian-soldier/cid/1853693

Ukraine’s secret weapon may prove to be civilian resistance

Ukraine’s secret weapon may prove to be civilian resistance

Russians advance on Ukraine’s ports, meet resistance in city
    https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2022/feb/27/russia-hits-ukraine-fuel-supplies-airfields-in-new/

God damn! What bravery in the face of evil!

And the final lesson comes from the pages of The Humanist Manifesto II: “No deity can save us. We must save ourselves.”

🇺🇦FREE UKRAINE!🇺🇦

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Spelling and an addendum

Vitali Klitschko, a previous World Heavyweight champion and now the mayor of Kyiv, was asked today about what happens if the weapons he is handing out “fall into the hand of criminals” by some naïve reporter. He just said “We killed six Russians last night” and looked at the reporter as if to say “Man, what a stupid question. You do know you are in a war zone, yeah?”

Can I tow you back to Russia? – Priceless!

Belle Rose
    Participant

I don’t understand why the US is sitting back doing nothing.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Greetings, Belle Rose,

I share your senriment about the Russian people and it looks like many ethnic Russians share your sentiment and are fighting Putin’s invasion too!

Stories Of Ukrainian Heroism Are Emerging And Giving The Country Hope
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/christopherm51/videos-ukraine-heroism-russia-invasion-tanks

As for what Americans are doing, notice that the weapon Alexander is carrying is a Remington shotgun. Even if our Government is doing nothing, at least some of our Citizens are doing something.

Really, it’s for the best this way. If either Biden or Hillary or Neo-Con Republicans sent troops over there and did this half-assed, we’d get our best fighting forces put in a meat-grinder, botch the exit strategy, get a bunch more killed or left behind, then abandon our best equipment to the Russians and abandon the Ukrainians.

The Ukrainians know the terrain and the weaknesses of the infrastructure best, so they are best qualified to fight. We can and should give them a hand on quartermastering and I’ll do so when I discover how.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Spelling and spacing. Putin better watch his Ps and Qs and back the Hell up too!

Unseen
    Participant

I don’t understand why the US is sitting back doing nothing.

We ARE doing something. We have put a stranglehold on the Russian economy and are making life financially difficult for Putin and his crony oligarchs.

You don’t want American troops getting into a shooting war with Russia, do you? Seriously?

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

I bet the Russian troops are hearing a lot of this:

“Ти зараз не повернешся, чуєш?”

That’s Ukrainian for: “Ya’ll don’t come back now, ya hear?” 😁😄😆😅🤣😂

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Fellow Unbelievers,

I just got word last night and confirmed it now. The EU nations are getting it together and sending fighter planes!

EU to provide weapons, including fighter planes, to Ukraine amid Russian invasion
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/eu-to-provide-weapons-including-fighter-planes-to-ukraine-amid-russian-invasion

And the U.S. State Department is sending military aid as well. Always definitely better option than troops, though the ideal was still overflowing Europe with cheap oil to have Putin in retreat.

By the way, after this is over and American Malaise II: Electric Boogaloo is over, we can always use Dawn and volunteer elbow grease to take care of any wayward baby ducks caught in the middle:

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

I’m not sure how Mahmoud Darwish’s work ties in here. After all, Ukraine is not demanding an end to Russia and Russian people. Indeed Ukrainian Russians are among Ukraine’s bravest in fighting Putin’s tyranny.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.