Sunday School

Sunday School February 4th 2018

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Daniel W. 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

How should atheism be taught? Maybe a better question would be “Why do we continue to indoctrinate children with religion”? The ideas in the article do have merit but it would be better if those charged with the education of children just left religion and their perverted beliefs out of the curriculum.

Ken Ham of “No Answers in Genesis” is freaking out about claims of intellectual child abuse which for years he has been claiming that the teaching of Evolution is. (Mental image of him disco dancing to “Le Freak”).

Evangelical Churches are not the place for victims of sexual abuse to seek help. The Cuddly One has accused Catholic sexual abuse victims of slander which has even resulted in Churches being burned across Chile.

This is in English and yet I don’t understand what they are taking about but I suppose that is because reason and religion clash.

Eric Trump – your beliefs about the role of religion are wrong as “God says No” to Michele Bachmann.

Why is the Bible so poorly written? (See also second video below).

This pastor wants to put faith into virtual space…. Have I got news for him 🙂

This weeks’ Woo: Separating pHacts from pHiction.

Climate Change: CO2 is good for you!

But something cannot come from nothing so take that you Atheist! I win, so that proves God is real!! OK, which kind of nothing are you talking about? No need to vent so much or you will get your amino acids all hot and bothered.  I think you have had too much coffee so have a glass of very old water instead. Are you not bored with that same 3000 year old banal ideas? At least it is falsifiable that today is a Sunday so why don’t we have some fun and question the nature of reality to see where else we might discover? You will? OK great, I’ll meet you at the elevator and we can spend the day doing up and down in it and maybe we can even discuss the meaning of life but please no theological discussions as they induce motion sickness in me unless you are Christian that can make me think.

The Trump administration’s War on Science is a threat to national health and security.

Could this be a Siren song for the Nymphs?

Some photographs taken last week.

We pause to remember….Mashal Khan.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video: She says the Bible was written by men with “daddy issues” and I can’t argue with her. A short history of the Human Genome. The power of emotional courage.

Have a great week everyone!!

“In my view not only is science corrosive to religion, religion is corrosive to science. It teaches people to be satisfied with trivial super natural non explanations and blinds them to the wonderful real explanations that we have within our grasp. It teaches them to except authority, revelation, and faith instead of always insisting on evidence.”

Richard Dawkins.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

Noel
    Participant

Thanks for Sunday School Reg!

As I read one of the articles the thought that perhaps I should dress in my “Sunday Best” crossed my mind. I mean this is Sunday School after all. But then the thought of chanting “Let Us Pray” and “Hallelujah” entered my thoughts and that idea flew right out the window.

“Why is the bible so poorly written?”. And yet millions of people read it as if they actually understand the context of what is being communicated. That’s bad. And i don’t mean BAD=Good but the other one…. See what I mean?

I once took a stab at starting up a “natural” reef tank at home. Very expensive hobby by the way. Once I got it into my head that the invertebrates I was introducing to the tank had special needs I set to the task of acquiring as much life saving equipment I could find. Because to keep these animals alive the pH of the water needed to hover around 8.0, the salinity needed to be 35 parts per thousand, and the specific gravity needed to be 1.023 cm/3 at 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Light levels need to approximate daylight and the animals need a day/night cycle in order to survive. Then I read the article: This weeks’ Woo: Separating pHacts from pHiction and I giggled my ass off. It was so simple all along. Just regulate the pH and forget that Coral depend on calcium in the water; which in my tank was supplemented by a Carbon Reactor, and that everything else like temperature, photosynthesis, and water flow are nonsense. What a load of crap! And there are millions of marks out there buying this alkaline water!

Hi Noel, thanks very much. When I lived in London I was watching the local news one evening. I recognized the location was where I lived. The guy being interviewed was familiar but I did not know him personally. We knew him as a bit of a “friendly weirdo” or a “one toke over the line sweet Jesus” type.

What transpired was that he had 2 fish tanks, one on each side of his bed and they were longer than the bed. He had put a “baby” shark into each but they grew rapidly and he had called in help to get them moved, hence the TV crew. I then recalled that his apartment was directly above mine. I had been sleeping under 2 fat sharks for the last few months!!

The lack of knowledge that Christians display about the Bible never ceases to amaze me. I have adopted a line Robert mentioned recently in another post. Yesterday, when debating some Christians, we got to the usual “But how can atheists have morals without a God” part. When they mentioned the 10 Commandments I asked them which book of the Bible they were listed in. They did not know, so I asked them to recite them. They only got 8 of them, in no particular order, so this atheist corrected them. I then continued to explain that it was written by men with “daddy issues” (as per 2nd video) and gave them a list of verses to look up to make my point. That’s BAD too 🙂

I wonder what the pH of snake oil is?

Daniel W.
    Participant

Thanks @regthefronkeyfarmer, for another compilation of great links. More reading through the week which is great!

On the bible, it was a long term, sincere, honest attempt to read the entire thing, at 15 years of age, that ultimately led to my apostacy. It took a while. The bible has many tedious, long, boring books and passages. As a fundamentalist, I was taught every word, every line, was true. There were too many contradictions for me to continue beleif. Not to mention, too much evil and violence in the name of Jehovah. I did love reading Ecclesiates, however, and the story of Daniel. I guess we cant blame them for writing about Noah instead of Utnapishtim or Ziusudra or Atrahasis.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by  Daniel W..
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.