Sunday School

Sunday School May 26th 2024

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  jakelafort 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

The increase in the number of non-religious Americans seems to have plateaued.

Louisiana is set to become 1st state requiring 10 commandments be posted in schools while a delusional man in Minnesota wants all nine commandments in every classroom there.

New study finds atheists and agnostics equally stereotyped as immoral. I wonder if we could get a State department grant to double check that claim?

The schism sisters are not happy with The Cuddly One’s desire to allow same-sex couples to be blessed. Elsewhere a Catholic priest bites a sinner after he puts the flesh of Jesus on her tongue and she grabs the holy host. (Reg just give up now please, that’s terrible).

World of Woo: RFK’s brain-eating worm had a huge appetite.

Environment: Venezuela is first Andean country to lose of all its glaciers.

What we gain by recognizing the role of chance in life.

Using vague language about scientific facts misleads readers. It is also problematic that many people don’t know what science is and how and why it works.

Indian journalists are on the front-line in the fight against election deepfakes.

Birth of universe’s earliest galaxies observed for first time and why physicists now question the fate of the Universe.

The dangerous illusion of AI consciousness.

The dangerous illusion of human consciousness.

Long Reads:  Do you believe in God?  The Defects and Deformity of Christian Nationalism. New Theism is nothing but religious Valium. Indian journalists are on the front-line in the fight against election deepfakes. The problem with Utopias.

Podcast: Leo Igwe of the Humanist Association of Nigeria.

Sunday Book Club: The Religion of Whiteness.

Some photographs taken last week.  Photographs that changed the world.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Videos:  The abyss at the edge of human understanding – a voyage into a black hole. Sean Carroll explains Quantum Field Theory. Cuckoo Christianity: The Rise of faithless Faith. “Atheists can’t answer this question” …but I Can.

Have a great week!

Strega

Thanks, Reg!!

Thanks Strega!

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

World of Woo: RFK’s brain-eating worm had a huge appetite.

What was so disturbing about that story is that RFK mentioned his brain-eating worm as if it was a qualification for public office!…It was as if it were on an equal par with having a dog or cat!!…And what’s more, no one in the media pointed out that it wasn’t a qualification for public office and may even be a positive disqualifier at least at some point!!!

And I thought 2016 would be the year to run for the hills and hide! With at least three mentally infirm major candidates and other third-party candidates to come, this year might cinch it!

Do you now get a free ross at every convention you attend? I could sure use one.

unapologetic
    Participant

“Satan’s grapes”

This guy spells like I do, and spellcheck wouldn’t catch this.

But at least I know how to count.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

Do you now get a free ross at every convention you attend? I could sure use one.

A Ross? Like from the TV show F*R*I*E*N*D*S?
    😉😁

unapologetic
    Participant

The easy question we can answer:

“if our cult is a man made religion then why does it go against man’s desires?”
    Duh! Manipulation is power.
    The creaters/maintainers of your cult love power.
    Even if your god were real, It is all about the power. And your leaders falsely claim to represent him, For The Power.

Stockholm syndrome: you are being manipulated and you love it/defend it.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  unapologetic.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  unapologetic.

unapologetic
    Participant

A Ross? Like from the TV show F*R*I*E*N*D*S

Maybe he was talking about political conventions and Ross Perot.

unapologetic
    Participant

Is this what you mean? at the Libertarian National Convention.

(see  upper left corner)

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

Oh, I see what you’re saying.

I wish there was a Free Ross Ulbricht with every online order of any peaceful, honest product or service, but I doubt he would ever be free if he had to depend on the Libertarian Party as it stands now.

Between Gary Johnson’s delusion that one can be ignorant and free in a state of civilization and Jo Jorgensen’s endorsement of the Burn Loot Murder crowd and the Mises Caucus giving Ludwig von Mises a horrible name, the Libertarian Party is a shambles.

There may be hope for the philosophy of Libertarianism to gain greater acceptance, but not with this vehicle.

I would place greater hope with alternative institutions and media of learning, which now have a perfect opportunity to arise with the Ivy League showing itself to be overpriced, underwhelming, and morally bankrupt.

The new University of Austin could be one possibility or if someone could set up a Secular equivalent of Hillsdale and Grove City College, financed independent of either Church or State.

Patri Friedman’s concept of Seasteading has promise to create enclaves where minds and markets can operate in freedom away from the controls of today’s Surveillance States. The trick would be making seasteads resilient against nature’s perils and defensible against attack from hostile humans.

As for the Libertarian Party, it needs to be taken off life support, with “Do Not Resuscitate” orders and with the compost to nurture the Tree of Liberty in a better, more flourishing manner.

@unapologetic – Yes, that is the “Ross” I was referencing. The reaction to Trump was enjoyable.

@theencogitationerThere may be hope for the philosophy of Libertarianism to gain greater acceptance, but not with this vehicle.

Yes, I agree.

Also, it would be cool to bring the Ross from Friends along to a Trump convention. You never know what he might say.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.