Atheist Zone

Two Questions about Atheist Zone

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  SteveInCO 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Nerdy Keith
    Participant

Hey guys,

I’ve more or less touched on this issue via private message to Umar. But I thought it would be fair to open this query publicly; to get views from moderators and other members etc

Think Atheist had separate tabs at the top of the website for “videos” and “blogs”. Does the new site have the ability to allow us to upload videos directly to Atheist Zone itself (without depending on third party sites such as YouTube or Vimeo)? And will it be possible for Atheist Zone to allow us to have our own blogs like on Think Atheist. Or do we have to make a special group to host our blogs on the site?

Just some questions I thought I’d throw out there

• This topic was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by  Rebel.

Rebel
    Keymaster

We are using Ning 2 on TA. Ning 3 is latest. Here are features http://www.ning.com/ning3help/all-the-features-of-your-site/ offered by Ning 3

I am not 100% sure but i think both features are available on AZ.

Videos will put a lot of load on our poor server. As there are dedicated videos sites that also allows to share videos via embedding, there is no need of this feature.

Blogs can be given to some of the members. But not now as i am busy with other things. I shall update you when everything is ready.

Nerdy Keith
    Participant

@umar,

Ah I see; thank you for clarifying that. I kinda figured that you may not have a sufficient server to carry video streaming; thats understandable.

No worries; I’ll use forum threads until everything is ready.

Unseen
    Participant

Just put in the direct “share” link to show a youtube video which will play off youtube’s server. I apologize in advance if this pedo-friendly content showing babies in their underwear is contrary to Google’s policy. Feel free to remove it.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 8 months ago by  Unseen.

Rebel
    Keymaster

Unseen has already explained. You can embed videos like this

Check out this cool video:

YouTube link URL

That was a cool video.

Make sure the URL is on its own line and not hyperlinked (clickable when viewing the post).

Matt
    Participant

Hi Keith, as you guessed; video hosting tends to become cost-prohibitive due to storage, processing, and bandwidth costs. I’m guessing there’s wordpress plugins which would give us just about all the other functionality you mentioned.

Personally though, I never really liked the Blog section on TA. I preferred the threaded replies of the discussions to help me keep track of the covnersation. I guess now we are on AZ, I’ll (we’ll) have to get used to it.

SteveInCO
    Participant

Personally though, I never really liked the Blog section on TA. I preferred the threaded replies of the discussions to help me keep track of the covnersation. I guess now we are on AZ, I’ll (we’ll) have to get used to it.

There are some things one can do to alleviate the confusion non threading causes, such as quoting (with the quote button next to the post number) and or using @ username to make it clear whom you are addressing.

Non-threading has its advantages; it’s fairly easy to figure out what reply is the first one you haven’t read and proceed from there. That will be a noGod-send when we have 20 – 30 page threads.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.