An Ethical Exercise – What do you think

Homepage Forums Small Talk An Ethical Exercise – What do you think

This topic contains 76 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Ivy 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)
  • Author

jakelafort
    Participant

Here is the mother of all atheist priests-brilliant guy when the era is contemplated.

Here is some more info on atheist clergy members.

It takes a village……..maybe the quote by Victor Hugo is more apposite –

“There is in every village a torch – the teacher; and an extinguisher – the priest.”

@jakelafort – Thanks for posting the video. I had not seen it before but was aware of his testament.

In the book “Diderot and the art of thinking freely”, the author Andrew S. Curran writes that:

Meslier’s testament maintains that the entire Catholic religion was nothing more than a human invention; that faith is the foundation of error; that the revelation, prophecies and miracles are fabrications; and that any reasonable person should conclude that the world’s gods, including the Christian God, simply do not exist. If the Roman Catholic Church was supposed to be the “mother and teacher,” Meslier’s testament amounted to matricide.

jakelafort
    Participant

Reg, it was Onyango Makagutu who posted that video on the other atheist site, atheist universe. I listened three times. I had read about him a bit in Will and Ariel Durant’s history books.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Ivey,

You bring up a lot of interesting questions.  I can answer a few.

There are religious bodies that are non-credal even to the point of not requiring belief in a God, namely Unitarian-Universalism, Ethical Culture, and The Universal Life Church.

These three bodies do not require exclusivity, so you could be a member, yet also identify with either other religious beliefs or no belief, with no ethical problem of dishonesty or insincerity.

Buddhism does have a system of beliefs, but belief in a God is not required and many Buddhists simultaneously embrace other religions such as Shintoism, Taoism, Confucianism, or local Asian Folk Religions.  Again, no problem of dishonesty or insincerity here if you actually embrace Buddhist tenets.

Humanistic Judaism requires no belief in YHVH-1 and views Jewishness as a human cultural thing, so there’s that.  They’re more likely to be flexible than the Abrahamic Religions below.

I’ve recently read that there is actually a sect of Non-Theistic Quakers.  (I don’t know all the details yet.  Maybe their Communion is oatmeal cookies.  For all I know, they “work out their salvation” with those vibrating chairs, bedpads, or Hitachi Wands.😁)

Anyway, these options allow at least some lee-way on beliefs for genuine explorers and heterodox thinkers.

Some religions, such as Zoroastrianism, Druze-ism, Yahzidi-ism, and Folk Religions won’t even allow outsiders to join, so those are right out as options.

The full-bore Abrahamic religions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are each mutually exclusive and exclusive of other religions.  They each demand absolute non-pluralistic loyalty.  And in Islam, Apostasy = Death, so if you are joining religions for shits and giggles, make sure Islam is the last one and that you are termimally ill.😁

As for perks and bennies provided by religion, I think it is both honest and more dignified and fulfilling to create your own perks and bennies instead.  If you have to, get a second part-time job.  If you can, create your own mini-business.  If you need skills, go to a community college or go online with free or low-cost sources of learning.  Go to a local senior center, 4-H, or Cooperative Extension Service to learn ways to both save money or make money, extend and save resources, bake or cook, grow a garden, raise animals for pets or food, the possibilities are limitless.  Do it a little at a time so you don’t get overwhelmed, but do it and you’ll be better off for it.

It’s like I said before, learn to build lifeboats and floatation devices and you don’t need to worry about ‘lifeboat scenarios’ and always keep spares and you won’t have ‘zero-sum’ games.

What you can do for youself and what each of us can do for each other is far more than anything either Religion or State, Altar or Throne, can do for us.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

I would have told the Padre: “Fine, but if you get some virus that locks up your Skyrim joystick, don’t come crying to me.  You can join the Southern Baptists and boycott yourself out of the Information Age!” 😛

Ivy
    Participant

@davis – That girl is me.

RE: And I’m certain in some environments where the number of religious people are high that religious groups can virtually monopolise the opportunities for “joining a community” but I don’t agree for a second that it is the “only” solution.

You are wrong on so many levels. But we can agree to disagree.

Davis

Ivy…you’re Belle????

Ivy
    Participant

@davis yeah just changed my style that’s all

Davis

Ahhh ha ha ha. I had no idea. I thought you had left for good. How is your son!?

I BelleIvy in you 🙂

Ivy
    Participant

He is absolutely amazing. Never better. And I need to give help from the church some credit for that 😉 Thank you for asking. He spent two years in a private special school, and we attended church on Sundays. After he was hospitalized (psychiatric reasons) he has some pretty extreme behaviors that regularly put him at very high risk of hurting himself (me) or others. Going to church every week with his friend was one of many things I did to try to get him socialized and straightened out. His first Sunday at church, he went out into the parking lot and started hitting and kicking cars. The church hired somebody to monitor him to make sure to keep him safe. They hired a volunteer just for him. And they have all Eyez watching him. After a few weeks he calmed down and all was well. They bent over backwards to help me. The important aspect of that was his socialization and behaving in a group that wasn’t school. It was a pivotal part of his recovery. Now he’s back in public school, playing in the band and sharp as ever. And he smells bullshit from people a mile away. He keeps his friends in line and doesn’t let anyone walk all over him. He’s amazing.

Ivy
    Participant

@Reg Hahahahahaha

Davis

I’m super glad to hear that Ivy! I can totally sympathise with the plight of raising a child with behavioural problems all on your own. So are you more in the atheist camp at the moment or are you on the fence? I’m terribly sorry about talking to you about you in the 3rd person. If I had any idea I wouldn’t have done it! Mil disculpas amor!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.