An Ethical Exercise – What do you think

Homepage Forums Small Talk An Ethical Exercise – What do you think

This topic contains 76 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Ivy 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

I’ve been along to a few church services, just to see what it’s like, and because I enjoyed it. I didn’t take Holy Communion because I didn’t believe in it. If I was involved in working for some kind of Church outreach programme of helping the poor and needy, and I was one of those poor and needy, and I am an atheist, I would think the Church would see that as part of their compassionate community work. I don’t think they’re too fussy who they help.

I largely agree. Some churches have beautiful Christmas services, for example, with majestic and beautiful music played on a grand concert organ and sung by a large choir.

Were I needy, I would accept charity from a religious organization as long as I wasn’t asked to convert or take a participatory role in a religious service. If they wanted to pray, I would simply sit silently and wait it out without so much as an “Amen.” And typically, Christian outreach programs do not require conversion or participation in their religious ceremonies.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The churches (since you are of a Western background) must have groups for moms and kids that you could join, as part of their community work.  I’m sure nobody would frown on you for not being a believer.  Each church actually seems to have an army of volunteers attached to it.

I recently took up meditation. I figured is was better than sitting around doing nothing.

jakelafort
    Participant

Reg with a stinger

Unseen
    Participant

I recently took up meditation. I figured is was better than sitting around doing nothing.

That was a joke, right? I got it!

Unseen
    Participant

I still say, cultivating friendships should give the same result with far more intellectual honesty.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I’m sure it would be a bit daunting, but it might be possible to cultivate friends within a church volunteer group, working on the staff perhaps, delivering services.

Changing religions is like changing imaginary friends. I used to talk to Spiderman but I have now decided that Superman is better suited to my needs.

If you want to experience another religious culture then there is nothing wrong with satisfying your curiosity by investigating it in an open manner. Many religious groups have really good people that will help out “non-members” as much as fellow believers. They would be good people (possibly even better people) without their faith. So I think it wrong to try to use them or their resources without disclosing why you are with them. If you are curious then tell them so.  It is not a bad thing to have a diverse group of friends. In fact it is important or your own views will never be challenged. I think though that cults, like all closed groups, that have a leader who dictates how everyone should act and think, are inherently bad….and basically all the same as each other.

Ever seen Happy on Netflix? Best imaginary friend ever in the whole world. If not, you gotta watch it.

Unseen
    Participant

I’m sure it would be a bit daunting, but it might be possible to cultivate friends within a church volunteer group, working on the staff perhaps, delivering services.

I’m not sure why you bring that up. There are plenty of secular ways to make friends. Book discussion groups, hiking clubs, working for food banks and other secular charities, none of which would involve any intellectual dishonesty. Just google on “volunteering in (city or county).

Kiva is a good ethical and secular organization. Give a stranger a loan of $25 with a very high chance of been repaid. If you are not, it is still a good cause (and it is only $25)

Unseen
    Participant

Ever seen Happy on Netflix? Best imaginary friend ever in the whole world. If not, you gotta watch it.

You reminded me of the other imaginary friend movie, the classic Harvey.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I’m not sure why you bring that up.

Because a church out-reach group is an environment where people are already being helped.  It’s a mutually supportive social group.

Unseen – yes, a great movie. I have in on DVD. I suppose you know Arsenic and Old Lace too?

PopeBeanie

Any chance one could just put their toe in the water and let on that it’s just temporary, until oneself and kid can get back on their feet?

Unseen
    Participant

Unseen – yes, a great movie. I have in on DVD. I suppose you know Arsenic and Old Lace too?

Yes, and Laura

and The Lady Vanishes as well.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Unseen.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.