Confused

Homepage Forums Advice Confused

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 6 days, 7 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

jakelafort
    Participant

No, Simon you did not answer any of the other questions.

You are helping somebody and divine help comes along and i am sure sometimes it does not come along…all the while incalculable and avoidable suffering is occurring. Brilliant! That is quite a conclusion you have reached. If you detect sarcasm you aint wrong.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

OK, but (speaking as an atheist), Christians sometimes talk about God being in the times when people need help, and help is willingly given.  I know that logically that’s somewhat nonsensical, because God is supposed to be everywhere, but people could think about it as something God finds desirable.

jakelafort
    Participant

Simon, the external appearance to a blind theist of receiving help that is oft-cited by atheists as jawdroppingly obtuse is the one home and owner left untouched by an act of god. Standing among the ruin is the one mindless theist who praises god for saving her. One might ask if that theist has a theory of mind just as an ethologist asks about various animals. There was an occasion in which a news reporter asked a woman whose life and home were spared if she thanked god. She said she was an atheist. Priceless moment.

I have more to say but on reflection i will hold it in abeyance cuz it is just the same shit rehashed. How about this? Where is the beef? Where is the kale?

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I think there is a certain logic to the Christian position that I have heard several times, that God manifests in the behaviour of the human element within a situation of adverse circumstances.  In other words, if Christians say that God is there when people come together to help one another, it makes a kind of sense.

jakelafort
    Participant

Simon, that makes zero sense to me.

The universe as it is when people come together shit gets done cuz people are doing it. If shit got done when it is beyond our capability then you could say holy porcupine. Magical quills saved the day.

I just read a story about a 16 year old who came to the aid of a kid who was about to be beaten by a bully. A few days later the bully got a gun and shot/killed the kid who did the right thing. Thought I, there is god again!

jakelafort
    Participant

Okay Simon i missed what you wrote. GOD MANIFESTS IN BEHAVIOR.

Same reaction here. We evolved as a highly social animal. If what you say is true you could make the same comment for predator and prey animals who help each other. Of course, it is not true. It is evolved behavior.

Unseen
    Participant

So, where is Ivy? Do we know why she feels she has little time? (And, no, I don’t have time to read every post in this thread.)

• This reply was modified 6 days, 8 hours ago by  Unseen.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

We evolved as a highly social animal.

It is evolved behavior.

Never mind God, this is behaviour that humans value – thriving, cooperatively.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.