consciousness

Homepage Forums Science consciousness

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  PopeBeanie 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

That’s what gets me about discussions about uploading your own personality into another body (or computer, for that matter), and when some people just assume it’s then ok to dispose of the original consciousness. No thanks. The two different consciousnesses will exist in every respect as completely different entities. Two bodies, two minds. Sure, one body may get old and eventually die, but its disposal should never depend on whether or not a duplicate exists.

OR, you’re a single consciousness conscious of existing in two places, which is absurd, of course. However, the question now is, if the consciousness has now been loaded into two bodies/locations, ending up perhaps light years from each other (assuming wormholes ever exist), in which location is the real “you”? which strikes me as equally absurd.

Perhaps the real you no longer exists at all, then, which is simply another way of being dead, isn’t it?

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Unseen.

mike
    Participant

PopeBeanie wrote:

“When does consciousness start is a big question”

…apparently it starts with a quark… but becomes real obvious in a nervous system…

Check out…

http://www.deanradin.org/

Dr. Dean Radin is the man to go to for any final word on the subject of consciousness…He is at the forefront of consciousness research…remember the double-slit-experiment/ observer effect…that’s him…His books are amazing…If you have time listen to him on, The consciousness podcast… https://theconsciousnesspodcast.com/

He is on episode 13 but all the episodes are interesting

PopeBeanie

Perhaps the real you no longer exists at all, then, which is simply another way of being dead, isn’t it?

LOL, I detect “tongue-in-cheek” on that comment, but it can still make people think.

Naw, besides, we’ve been completely ignoring the probabilistic effects of quantum entanglement between these supposed perfect copies of each other.

Davis
    Participant

we’ve been completely ignoring the probabilistic effects of quantum entanglement between these supposed perfect copies of each other.

If a startrek replicator replicates a person and then it replicates a new replicator and the replicated replicator replicates the new copy of the person…does that mean Wesley Crusher grows into a beardy dorky nerd with a gaming blog?

_Robert_
    Participant

…we just need Deepak Chopra to chime in on this.,,

PopeBeanie

[…] The consciousness podcast… https://theconsciousnesspodcast.com/

He is on episode 13 but all the episodes are interesting

I was going to mention Chopra too, as he is also “on the forefront”, or should we say “leading the fringe”.

I’ll look into the podcast you suggest, and I’ll suggest some as well. Might I suggest, if any these put you to sleep, try listening when you go to bed! That’s what I do, every night I’m alone. (Don’t ask.)

—– —– —– —– —– —– —– —– —– —– —– —– —– —– —– —– —–

Ginger Campbell, Brain Science Podcast The last 50 or so episodes are available for free. This is a partial list that doesn’t include topics unrelated directly to consciousness. I’ve bolded my top choices. Please post about your own nominations. (I’m very partial to Jaak Panksepp’s work.)

• FREE EPISODES (episodes are free back to #92, as of the date of this post Nov 2018)
    • #94 How the Brain Makes Meaning: Interview with Benjamin Bergen, PhD, author of Louder Than Words: The New Science of How the Mind Makes Meaning
    • #99 Interview with Dr. Temple Grandin, author of The Autistic Brain: Thinking Across the Spectrum
    • #106 The Cognitive-Emotional Brain; Interview with Dr. Luiz Pessoa, author of The Cognitive-Emotional Brain: From Interactions to Integration
    • #108 Consciousness as Social Perception: Interview with Dr. Michael Graziano, author of Consciousness and the Social Brain
    • #112 What Do Mirror Neurons Really Do? Interview with Dr. Gregory Hickok, author of The Myth of Mirror Neurons: The Real Neuroscience of Communication and Cognition
    • #115 Eastern Philosophy and Western Neuroscience: Interview with Dr. Evan Thompson, author of Waking, Dreaming, Being: Self and Consciousness in Neuroscience, Meditation, and Philosophy
    • #121 How Do You Feel? with Bud Craig: Interview with Dr. Bud Craig, author of How Do You Feel?: An Interoceptive Moment with Your Neurobiological Self
    • #128 Primary Consciousness and Experience with Jon Mallatt: Interview with Dr. Jon Mallatt, Co-author of The Ancient Origins of Consciousness
    • #134 Remembering Jaak Panksepp: We remember Jaak Panksepp, pioneer of affective neuroscience (PopeBeanie note: Also a pioneer of evolutionary neuroscience, e.g. ticklish rats research!)
    • #142 Michael Graziano explains peripersonal neurons: Interview with Dr. Michael Graziano, author of The Spaces Between Us: A Story of Neuroscience, Evolution, and Human Nature
    • #144 Language in the brain: Interview with Dr. Angela Friederici, author of Language in Our Brain: The Origins of a Uniquely Human Capacity
    • #151 Neuroscience of Emotion: A discussion of The Neuroscience of Emotion: A New Synthesis, by Ralph Adolphs and David J. Anderson

—– Brain Science Podcast (cont)

• PAY-FOR EPISODES (pay per episode, or subscribe to get all episodes, or buy #1 – #10 in a package)
    • #5 Consciousness: A very brief introduction to philosophy of mind
    • #6 The First Idea: The role of emotional signaling in the development of language, based on The First Idea: How Symbols, Language, and Intelligence Evolved from our Primate Ancestors to Modern Humans, by Stanley I. Greenspan, MD and Stuart Shanker, PhD
    • #7 Stuart Shanker, PhD on bonobos: Explores what bonobos can teach us about communication
    • #11 Emotion: A discussion of Emotion: The Science of Sentiment, by Dylan Evans
    • #13 Unconscious Decisions: A look at decision-making
    • #16 The Pre-Frontal Lobes: A discussion of The Executive Brain: Frontal Lobes and the Civilized Mind, by Elkhonon Goldberg, PhD
    • #19 Gut Feelings: A discussion of Gut Feelings: The Intelligence of the Unconscious, by Gerd Gigerenzer
    • #22 Christof Koch, PhD on Consciousness: Author of The Quest for Consciousness: A Neurobiological Approach
    • #30 The Evolution of Language: A discussion of The First Word: The Search for the Origins of Language, by Christine Kenneally
    • #34 Rachel Herz, PhD: Discusses her book,The Scent of Desire: Discovering Our Enigmatic Sense of Smell
    • #35 Mirror Neurons: A discussion of Mirrors in the Brain: How Our Minds Share Actions, Emotions, and Experience, by Giacomo Rizzolatti, MD and Corrado Sinigaglia, PhD
    • #42 Discussion of On Being Certain: Believing You Are Right Even When You’re Not, by Robert Burton, MD
    • #43 **Part 2 of On Being Certain: Interview with Robert Burton, MD
    • #44 Interview with Daniel Siegel, MD: About meditation and the brain
    • #47 Discussion of Principles of Brain Evolution: by Georg F. Striedter
    • #48 Gary Lynch, PhD: Discusses his book Big Brain: The Origins and Future of Human Intelligence
    • #53 Free will?: A discussion of Did My Neurons Make Me Do It?: Philosophical and Neurobiological Perspectives on Moral Responsibility and Free Will, by Nancey Murphy and Warren S. Brown
    • #57 Chris Frith, PhD: Author of Making up the Mind: How the Brain Creates Our Mental World
    • #58 Alva Noë, PhD: Author of Out of Our Heads: Why You Are Not Your Brain, and Other Lessons from the Biology of Consciousness
    • #60 Stuart Brown, MD (National Institute for Play): Author of Play: How It Shapes the Brain, Opens the Imagination, and Invigorates the Soul
    • #65 Jaak Panksepp, PhD: Author of Affective Neuroscience: The Foundations of Human and Animal Emotions
    • #73 Lawrence Shapiro, PhD: Author of Embodied Cognition
    • #81 Patricia Churchland, PhD: Author of Braintrust: What Neuroscience Tells Us about Morality
    • #82 How Mind Emerges from Brain: A Discussion of Who’s in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain, by Michael Gazzaniga, PhD
    • #84 Update on Consciousness Research with Christof Koch, PhD, Author of Consciousness: Confessions of a Romantic Reductionist
    • #86 Disgust, with Rachel Herz, PhD: Interview with Rachel Herz, PhD, author of That’s Disgusting: Unraveling the Mysteries of Repulsion
    • #88 The Self Illusion with Bruce Hood, PhD: Interview with Bruce Hood, PhD, author of The Self Illusion: How The Social Brain Creates Identity
    • #90 Self Comes to Mind: Discussion of Self Comes to Mind, by Antonio Damasio, PhD
    • See list in above, FREE section, starting with podcast #94

—– You can stay updated on episodes with this Brain Science Podcasts RSS link if you have an RSS reader, or if your browser supports RSS links. (Won’t hurt to click on it in your browser, but it might not be readable.) —–

—– —– —– —– —– —– —– —– —– —– —– —– —– —– —– —– —–

Later add selected Sam Harris podcasts, Daniel Dennett,  and others…

Btw, the final copy of this project will eventually be in my AZ Consciousness Group.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.