Has Russia declared war on the West?

Homepage Forums Politics Has Russia declared war on the West?

This topic contains 43 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

The playing field is not level. You have a giant monopoly in the CCP who embrace the global markets and have a huge workforce. Can more transparent societies compete? I know that in my dealings with Chinese engineers, decisions took forever  (yes, my idiotic company was selling them our older tech). We shall see.

Our fallacy, in part, is in thinking that somehow capitalism and democracy are joined at the hip. China shows that this Western article of faith is delusional. We helped them enter the world marketplace thinking that they’d have to loosen their grip on their society in order to foster creativity and entrepreneurship. Turns out, you can get that without throwing in the towel on Communism.

Russia provides more proof of that delusion.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by  Unseen.

I was on the Dark Web earlier (helping a journalist bypass censorship in his country) when I noticed that all of the Russian sites for buying drugs are based in China. Commies!!

Unseen
    Participant

I was on the Dark Web earlier (helping a journalist bypass censorship in his country) when I noticed that all of the Russian sites for buying drugs are based in China. Commies!!

That could be risky behavior. China dislikes drugs even more than Jeff Sessions did. (article)

I don’t think the Chinese Politburo is too worried about the Fentanyl trade to the USA though.

Did Jeff Sessions have a bad trip or something? 🙂

Walmart is being sued for its role in the opioid crisis which is a good thing.

Unseen
    Participant

Did Jeff Sessions have a bad trip or something? 🙂

Yes. Its name is Fundamentalist Christianity according to which the only thing that should give pleasure is praising God. He wants to keep marijuana on the Schedule 1 drug list along with heroin, cocaine, fentenyl, and the rest because, he’d tell you, it’s a so-called “gateway drug” to the other ones. Alcohol and tobacco, apparently, are not gateways. Go figure.

Unseen
    Participant

China is forging ahead in the development of military hardware, but I think Russia is the one to worry about for now. They are working on unmanned weapons in the air, on the ground, and under the surface of the oceans.

This video, while the robotics seem a little pie-in-the-sky, the prospect of unmanned aircraft and tanks taking to a battlefield with American humans on it sends shivers up my spine. BTW, video is about lots more than just aircraft.

Under the surface of the ocean, a torpedo six times faster than standard torpedoes:

Hypersonic Russian missile:

_Robert_
    Participant

China is forging ahead in the development of military hardware, but I think Russia is the one to worry about for now. They are working on unmanned weapons in the air, on the ground, and under the surface of the oceans. This video, while the robotics seem a little pie-in-the-sky, the prospect of unmanned aircraft and tanks taking to a battlefield with American humans on it sends shivers up my spine. BTW, video is about lots more than just aircraft.

Scary stuff, even if the original source maybe is the US defense industry 😉 The Russians used to operate under the concept that “quantity has a quality of it’s own”, however In Iraq, when the 4th largest army in the world was reduced to shambles in a matter of weeks I think they took notes. The US military has been focusing on anti-terrorism for a few decades now and I wonder if mainline equipment has been neglected… not sure. Large scale conventional war is really a struggle of logistics and Russia is at an extreme disadvantage unless the war is in their front yard.

_Robert_
    Participant

I am always conflicted when it comes to military spending. I think some in power wanna use it just so they don’t loose it. Plus much of equipment just become obsolete. Money that could have been put to good use. At the same time there are always real threats. Unfortunately history has a hard lesson concerning societies that allowed their military to weaken.

Unseen
    Participant

We cannot underestimate the Russians, especially with Putin at the helm. I fear he is the most masterful military strategist on the scene, and because they can develop and build their military hardware without assuring anyone a tidy profit, they can get more bang for their ruble.

Maybe we need an all-volunteer military industrial complex(?).

Davis

China and Russia’s governments are both trying to hold onto power. China however at the same time is trying to grow economically and slowly develop global influence. Russia is far less interested in economic development but maintaining the illusion of global influence but really are petty thugs in neighbouring countries. Both governments sacrifice economic development for holding onto power by distracting the populous with evil western enemies and in Russia’s case causing turmoil in neighbouring countries. China has found a better balance but has significantly slowed their progress by using a highly belligerent tone with other world powers (which could easily be toned down and bring good will and better trade relations). Russia is a small time player that causes grief for their neighbours and annoying cyber disruption but is not a threat to the West. China over the long term definitely will be because they cannot keep distracting their populous (growing richer and with more time to ponder how the government should be run and what the future of China should be) without causing more and more antagonism with the West. While both could theoretically wage serious conflict with the West I would say the odds of either doing it in the near future is super low and Russia doing it at all being quite low. The US, Canada, Australia, UK and NZ (the eyes) are making stronger attempts to contain China’s belligerence. If the EU doesn’t follow (they likely won’t cause their decisions are based on unanimity and some small countries rely on Chinese trade) then any hope for containment is likely doomed. Every single western country gave up it’s chance to put human rights in China as an essential issue with trade, but in a scramble for the most access they all totally sold out their principles and now only a few are willing now to backtrack (which is likely too late).

Davis

The US could halve it’s military budget and still not worry about any country invading. For all the arguments that their spending helps keep the rest of the West safe, one only need look at how the US stood by and did nothing while Russia annexed Crimea in the Ukraine, Ossetia in Georgia and Transdnier in Moldova. A minimal spending is necessary. American military spending is obscene and does not provide the purported benefits except indirectly funding sub-contractors (who make ridiculous profits for doing little) and creating a semi-welfare system where people have stable work (which could be spent on stimulating other kinds of business and a genuine modern social safety net). But for a country with a LOT of boot lickers (the thank-you for your service stick as one little example), over-funding the military is a popular option for any government.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by  Davis.

Unseen
    Participant

The US could halve it’s military budget and still not worry about any country invading. For all the arguments that their spending helps keep the rest of the West safe, one only need look at how the US stood by and did nothing while Russia annexed Crimea in the Ukraine, Ossetia in Georgia and Transdnier in Moldova. A minimal spending is necessary. American military spending is obscene and does not provide the purported benefits except indirectly funding sub-contractors (who make ridiculous profits for doing little) and creating a semi-welfare system where people have stable work (which could be spent on stimulating other kinds of business and a genuine modern social safety net). But for a country with a LOT of boot lickers (the thank-you for your service stick as one little example), over-funding the military is a popular option for any government.

Not being saddled with the imperative to provide profits for our military-industrial complex would free up untold amounts of money to benefit the general citizenry here.

I have an idea: We have all-volunteer cannon-fodder. How about all-volunteer military suppliers?

Russia’s military hardware isn’t always at the leading edge, but they generally produce serviceable results at far lower cost than the United States (and its customers) pay. An American F-35 costs about $80M a unit which is nearly twice as much as a Russian SU-57 at about $42M per unit.

To make matters worse, they may be taking the lead in important areas such as hypersonic missiles and ultrahigh-speed torpedoes, which if they are as unstoppable as they seem, they don’t need to produce in massive quantities. They also may be ahead of the West in unmanned ROV airplanes and tanks.

Unseen
    Participant

Using a navy to project power will soon be a thing of the past.

Unmanned warfare is moving underwater, too.

It’s always been true that weapons are cheap, defending against them is much more expensive. It’s also been true that the offensive weapon, being cheaper, only has to be successful part of the time whereas the defense has to be successful every time, which is somewhere between unlikely and impossible. Defense systems are becoming more and more expensive while not typically having anything approaching a 100% success rate.

Anybody can own a drone nowadays, be they governments large and small or individuals, perhaps terrorists, with aggressive attentions. A drone costing just a few hundred dollars can carry a warhead, escape detection by radar, and yet be directed in such a way as to disable or destroy military aircraft. In the future, expect AI driven drones to fly themselves, making critical decisions needed to find and destroy a target, and even change their own mission should they notice a higher value target.

Unseen
    Participant

So, it will be up to Biden to respond to Russia’s cyberattack.

Realistically, though, what can he do that Russia can’t counter effectively/

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.