I'm getting sick of hearing about #metoo

Homepage Forums Small Talk I'm getting sick of hearing about #metoo

This topic contains 103 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 104 total)
  • Author

Bellen
    Participant

Honestly. Is it just me? I mean it is really starting to piss me off.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Why is it pissing you off?

Bellen
    Participant

It all just seems so disingenuous

Strega

What aspect of it is disingenuous?  I see people who are scared to ‘come out’ on their own, become less scared because to them there is safety in numbers.

Bellen
    Participant

Yeah but honestly – what is it accomplishing? To me it’s making things worse not better, and we have to hear about it every fucking day.

Bellen
    Participant

I think if I were to try to really articulate what really makes me mad is you see all of these women complaining about honestly some really petty shit. Especially when there are women all over the world who are dealing with some real shit. And in order for those women to get help it’s going to take an effort from women and men…not just a bunch of high class bitches complaining that xyz man touched their leg back in 1996. And by those bitches complaining about petty shit, it kind of creates an environment where men can’t speak out as much. In order for the overall problem to be solved men have to be front and center of the effort. Not drowned out by the noise of petty bullshit. When people say that all sexual aggression is the same – no it’s fucking not the same. Tell that to the little girl who’s being raped by her 60 year old husband right now. Tell her that her voice is heard just like these women on TV complaining that some tv producer coped a feel 20 years ago.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Bellen.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Bellen.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I can see your point – that the more serious sexual harrassment and violence is getting ignored, in the public discourse about #metoo.  However, I definitely think that #metoo brings us half way along to talking about those things more widely.

I feel the takeaway messages are: 1) who knew? (most men probably didn’t) that women are being groped and molested wholesale in the workplace by powerful men (usually that’s the story);  2) women haven’t been listened to, and have been forced to keep silent.

So, that’s a good platform from which to go further.  I think society (OK, probably that means men) is still reeling from the first wave of revelations.  I believe it’s definitely brought in an atmostsphere of being more considerate towards women’s needs, and that has to be a good start.

Bellen
    Participant

I feel the takeaway messages are: 1) who knew? (most men probably didn’t) that women are being groped and molested wholesale in the workplace by powerful men (usually that’s the story);  2) women haven’t been listened to, and have been forced to keep silent.

And I think that’s a big crock of shit. I think we are all fully aware. Which is why #metoo is so infuriating. C’mon now are we really going to just pretend we all didn’t know? Everyone knows.  But bringing up things that happened years ago is like too little too late. And men still aren’t part of the conversation. And they are still not being held fully accountable. If they were then Trump wouldn’t be still sitting in the Oval Office.

Bellen
    Participant

So all it’s doing is just retriggering those of us who are trying to move on and get better and we are bombarded every day with it. Seeing these women play the victim card. Most of them weren’t even raped. Touched or gestured at, maybe fondled, but not straight up raped like they do in many parts of the world.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

What do you think people should do?

Tom Sarbeck
    Participant

Bellen, most people don’t even know I exist. So when they say something about themselves and I get pissed off, I know there’s something in me that I need to deal with.

Those people don’t know you exist and they’re talking about themseles.

I hope you deal with it.

You will be happier and so will your youngster.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@tomsarbeck – maybe where you are, people don’t force themselves on you.

Bellen
    Participant

Those people don’t know you exist and they’re talking about themseles.

I know that Tom. My point is they are attention seeking. Trying to get attention and money. Then we have to hear about it every fucking day.

Tom Sarbeck
    Participant

Bellen, I’m not hearing it every day or even every week. Change channnels.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@tomsarbeck – if it was relevant to you, you’d be hearing it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.