I'm getting sick of hearing about #metoo

Homepage Forums Small Talk I'm getting sick of hearing about #metoo

This topic contains 103 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 104 total)
  • Author

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@belen – I feel you make a lot of good points there, and it gives an indication of how vast the issue is.

I think there are a few things that could help the situation, for example:

– good guidance (better than exists at present)

– good examples (possibly, likewise)

– relying less on fulfilling roles, and more on people doing what they’re good at.  This would free up both males and females from trying to fulfill roles they aren’t good at.

PopeBeanie

I’ve read all pages now… some short comments:

I think it has to become a men’s movement not a women’s movement.

Absolutely, especially when men are still in power. I don’t think the most significant problem to solve is the direction #meToo has taken, nor even that some innocent men may have lost their job or status unfairly. Compare it to the unfair status of women, still, now. #meToo is just a beginning, I think. Maybe it will move constructively to #menToo, or some variation of it.

I think the pendulum has swung too far to one side to where women are just seen as helpless blameless victims. I’ll be the first to tell you that when I look back at my life, I am most definitely have played a role in my victimization.

I’ll bet this pendulum swing is much, much shorter than the main, thousand-year swing of our past. Media-wise, this will be a “hot topic” for how long? Not long. As for your own role in your victimization, its good of you to feel responsibility, but it’s not generally the case. Sometimes, yeah, but like you say, it’s still the men that have the most power, and are the ones who abuse it the most.

When I was first told it was all my fault at first I was offended. But I realized it was true. It may not be a very politically correct thing to say and a lot of people don’t like hearing it, but it was good for me to hear that. It was good for me to be told that I was in the wrong.

But #meToo isn’t about that. Eyes partly closed, maybe, but there are still plenty of males around the world abusing their power and silencing real victims. And in this country, especially with the Trumping of America, where it can be more politically correct to blame bleeding heart liberals for their social justice warrioring. Ok, so the left can go too far, but “it’s just locker room talk”? No, not always. Give us more time to fix this thousands-of-years old problem.

PopeBeanie

Oh, and Belle, try to give us more paragraph breaks! It’s a lot to take in all at once.  🙂

Tom Sarbeck
    Participant

Aggression and passivity are as American as chop suey. Most boys are taught aggression and most girls are taught passivity.

Who brought ‘groping rights’ out of the closet? Was it Donald Trump?

His excesses brought ‘#metoo’ out.

BTFW, I heard of Hollywood casting couches. My not having one annoyed me.

Daniel W.
    Participant

Bellen, I have to say that I’m horrified by aspects of your story.  I can’t find any aspect that makes me think you share responsibility or blame for what they did to you.  You have to do what works for you. I  can  only hope that your journey to healing gives you healing.

Bellen
    Participant

@danielw

The truth is that I haven’t found healing. But I found myself. And I found my voice. I can live disabled if it means I have those two things. Yeah they tell you it’s not your fault when these things happen but it is. I was asking for it. And I deserved it. You can’t play with fire and expect to not get burned.

Tom Sarbeck
    Participant

Everyone knows #metoo women, but not everyone who knows #metoo women knows they know #metoo women, because the #metoo women in their lives aren’t out to them.

It’s hugely important that #metoo women be out. That’s because the most significant political action #metoo women can take is to come out to friends and family and coworkers, because those people are then not susceptible to anti-#metoo demagoguery.

Do you recognize that sentiment?

It’s a paraphrase of words spoken by Dan Savage during the long and ultimately successful struggle for gay marriage.

Tom Sarbeck
    Participant

Everyone knows #metoo women, but not everyone who knows #metoo women knows they know #metoo women, because the #metoo women in their lives aren’t out to them.

It’s hugely important that #metoo women be out. That’s because the most significant political action #metoo women can take is to come out to friends and family and coworkers, because those people are then not susceptible to anti-#metoo demagoguery.

Do you recognize that sentiment?

It’s a paraphrase of words spoken by Dan Savage during the long and ultimately successful struggle for gay marriage.

Bellen
    Participant

The golden globes made me cry. I thought that it was beautiful. And the way they all wore black in solidarity was powerful. And men were standing in solidarity too…

lots of the women said “we are standing with women everywhere ” and for some reason all of my anger and rage changed and I just started crying uncontrollably

Bellen
    Participant

I don’t know why

tom sarbeck
    Participant

Bellen, my eyes teared up as I read your post and I know why, I was happy for you.

Bellen
    Participant

And…..CAN WE SAY OPRAH FOR PRESIDENT!!!! HELL YEAH!!!!

Strega

Tom, mine did too and for the same reason 🙂

Simon Paynton
    Participant

We all love @belle.

Bellen
    Participant

I don’t know why y’all are so happy…Anyway thanks but um…feels weird being talked about like I’m not in the room lol. I just said it was beautiful and balled my eyes out but that’s not a good thing!!!!!! I’m just really saying I think THAT is a much better use of their platform…

I really hope Oprah runs for Prez!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.