I'm getting sick of hearing about #metoo

Homepage Forums Small Talk I'm getting sick of hearing about #metoo

This topic contains 103 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 91 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • Author

Simon Paynton
    Participant

That’s cool.

Participant

Participant

From the article

“To make matters worse, they wrote, “the movement chains women to the status of the eternal victim” by framing them as “poor little things who are dominated by demon phallocrats.”

Participant

This part is really important:

“Not only that, but the movement has spawned a wave of hatred toward the accused, they said, who are mentioned in the same breath as sexual aggressors without being given the chance to defend themselves.”

Participant

This new type of “swift justice” has already claimed its victims, they wrote, citing men forced to resign “when all they did wrong was touch a knee.”

EXACTLY

Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>She said it much better than me but she captured the essence of what I’m saying.</p>

Simon Paynton
    Participant

the accused

– what I’m seeing is, those people are nearly all guilty.  I’ve seen maybe 1 or 2 whose guilt was questionable.

Participant

You don’t know that Simon. None of them have been allowed due process of law.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I understand what you’re saying, but guilty people act guilty, and innocent people act innocent, in a situation like this.  So far, most of the ones I’ve seen act guilty as hell.  The innocent ones stick out like a sore thumb.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I feel that being wrongly accused is a non-issue.  I can see how there are other things involved, such as the apparent triviality of what people are complaining about, and the assumption of powerless victimhood.

Participant

I feel that being wrongly accused is a non-issue.

Tell that to the many men whose reputation and career has been put in flux, based on “alledged” incidents without any sort of normal due process of law…It’s not a “non-issue” for them.

Participant

I understand what you’re saying, but guilty people act guilty, and innocent people act innocent, in a situation like this.

What exactly does it mean to “act guilty?” or to “act innocent?”

Simon Paynton
    Participant

What exactly does it mean to “act guilty?” or to “act innocent?”

I don’t know.  Think about how you would act in that situation, if you were guilty, or how you would act if you were innocent.  They are two very different things, and each one is instantly recognisable.

The same isn’t true, of course, in other crimes.  But in this one, it is.  In the UK child-molesting scandal we had a few years ago, there was a celebrity [living – always helps] called Matthew Kelly (I think) who was accused along with a lot of others, in that particular spell.  He stood out a mile because it was clear to everyone straight off that he had been wrongfully accused, his reputation never suffered, and at the end he was applauded (at a stage play) with his head held high.  The two situations are night and day, to look at.

I used to be a cashier – a money-counter working in a strongroom, looking after the cash – and it’s the same there.  As soon as a worker opens their mouth, everyone knows what they’re about, because it stands out plain as day.  The demeanour doesn’t lie, in this situation.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I have to say, I find this misguided, from my own particular experience.  I don’t know what she’s talking about.

“Publicly, We Say #MeToo. Privately, We Have Misgivings.  DAPHNE MERKIN  JAN. 5, 2018”

New York Times

I think people chatter a lot, but the reality on the ground is different.

Viewing 14 posts - 91 through 104 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.