Is the demos killing democracy?

Homepage Forums Politics Is the demos killing democracy?

This topic contains 33 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  jakelafort 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author

jakelafort
    Participant

Jody,

You must have a higher regard for his potential supporters than those of Trump. Trump can’t stay coherent or avoid a tangent for more than a sentence and often within a sentence he goes off course. (I love Sam Harris’ metaphor of Trump speaking is air going out of a balloon.

I have not noticed him repeating himself although am not staying overly glued. In terms of energy i think he is amazing. He seems almost manic. I like how he indicated USA spends x times more per capita than more progressive countries as a counter to the query..how are we gonna pay for it. But he should expand by going from general to particular.

Jody Lee
    Participant

I don’t waste my time listening to Trump. And from I have heard, his vocabulary consists of like 21 words, so he has to repeat himself. Unfortunately, I live in central WV and am surrounded by his scary-ass supporters and it’s inevitable at times to hear their nonsense.

Please don’t misunderstand my post about Bernie. He has good reason to be tired. He fights harder than most and I respect the hell out of him.

I don’t waste my time listening to Trump

Jody “turns a deaf ear” Lee has an interesting way of not hearing my strong words. She must be getting too much fake news. What’s she getting?? Yes, “Too much fake news”.  A lot of people are saying that, in fact I am talking to people about that and they all agree with Donald. We have some very good people working on that. Many, many great people in fact. We don’t like your non-listening attitude. We pray to the Corinthians that you will realize it is all fake. Believe me I am doing very well with the economy and I have very many great friends who think so too. Tremendous people, all great patriots, to be perfectly honest. So it’s not gonna happen that Jody will not keep not listening, I must tell you. I’ve seen this before and I’ve sort of witnessed it—in fact, in two cases I have actually witnessed it. They said covfefe would never be a word and now everyone is saying it. The blacks, wonderful people, are saying it, the Latinos are saying it and even the women are saying it. It’s gonna be a yuge bigly word. It’s gonna be tremendous. All the incredible men and women are saying it. We are going to get rid of all that constant negative covfefe for you.

jakelafort
    Participant

Reg, not half bad take.

Jodi, over the years i have heard a variation on a joke about people in WV…something like…I am not going to date that girl.  If she is not good enough for her brother she is not good enough for me.  Is that joke circulating there?

It does seem like Bernie has been at the forefront of obvious but important issues.  If he is not nominated i just hope he does not play Ralph Nader and siphon votes that would have gone to the democratic nominee.  That would be pretty fucked up if the guy who has fought long and hard for a better USA ends up perpetuating the decline.

Jody Lee
    Participant

Reg, you got it.

Jake, WV incest jokes are very common. Actual incest, however, not so much.

Let’s hope he takes nomination. I’m a Julian Castro fan myself, but I don’t see that happening.

jakelafort
    Participant

Jody, i just checked on Castro’s background.  Harvard law.  The few times i listened to him he struck me as a dolt.  But maybe i ought to hear more from him. On other hand he does not seem to have much of a chance.  How about the guy who wants to pay us monthly?  Talk cash…yeah!

Jody Lee
    Participant

@jake

Perhaps at first glance he comes across as a dolt, but his goals align with mine and he has plans to back his ideas.

Issues

jakelafort
    Participant

oh okay Jody…i see those goals as okaay…but how do they stack up against giving supremacists a little nod…building a massive wall that the Mexicans will pay, believe me…setting trade policies that will lead to economic ruin…enabling and conveying a legitimacy to despots…denying climate change and taking no steps to arrest its rapid progress…selling the environment down the river…denying the reality of objective truth…building a cult of personality….?

You had better get right with god.

Unseen
    Participant

I can’t imagine most of the Dem candidates standing up to Putin or Trump, and that includes cuties like Butigieg and O’Rourke. I also don’t see Biden as a strong candidate. He’s lost any edge he once had, mentally. I can imagine Sanders, Warren, or Yang in that position.

Yang I like because, unlike Sanders and Warren, he recognizes that the biggest problem American workers have that’s costing them jobs is automation, not cheap foreign labor. Bring those jobs back to the US, and disproportionately those jobs will be lost due to various efficiencies, with automation leading the way.

Two candidates which didn’t make it to the last debate would also be a handful for both Trump and Putin: Tulsi Gabbard and Tom Steyer. Gabbard is military, which would give her wide appeal, and she has proven fearless in attacking the ‘military industrial complex,” which is probably why the mainstream Dem party is standing on its head to keep her from receiving any public exposure, so she’s been limited to doing small town halls snd the very occasional 10 minute TV appearance.

Steyer has a long history as a liberal despite being a successful capitalist. He’s spending his own money. He could expose Trump for what a business fraud he is, with whatever success he has enjoyed being as the result of cheating, defrauding, flim-flams, and his undeniable talent for branding.

But I don’t care who the Dems nominate. They will have my vote as long as Trump is the GOP nominee. I just wish they would nominate someone strong.

It’s time to overthrow the Old Schoolers who currently control the party and make it hard for the Bernies, Warrens, Gabbards, and Steyers from being seriously considered.

BTW, folks. Here’s a reminder if you support Bernie, Warren, or Gabbard: If you support a candidate who has sworn off corporate donations, guess who they have to get the campaign money from…I support Tulsi, and so far I’ve given her over $150 in small $10-$25 donations.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Unseen.

jakelafort
    Participant

Man alive, Unseen, i cant understand why you  think Trump is a tough guy to oppose.

On the contrary i can’t imagine an easier opponent. If you as a candidate can not eviscerate him, leave him in a puddle of sweat, vomit and piss while he ignominiously grabs his crotch for emotional support, then you  as a candidate suck!

Get down in the dirt and exchange insults…attack his record…engage him intellectually in any topic. I doubt there is anything he can debate intelligently.

@jakelafort

….engage him intellectually in any topic.

That should be all that is required. After all it is a job interview for POTUS. As a smart woman once said, When they go low we go high. He only trades in insults and name calling because he cannot do highbrow debates.

jakelafort
    Participant

Reg, I give you the world as it is v. how it ought to be.

If Americans were as they ought to be Trump would not have had a chance.  Yet his tactics succeeded.  The notion that candidates ought to avoid the sandbox has been the mantra of political advisers for a long time.  Yet Trump proved that flying by seat of his orange ass and flinging feces can work.

As a practical matter Trump’s supporters are cult followers.  So if his opponent undresses him some of the hero worship is undone and in so doing some of his supporters will abandon him.  For those who think we ought to be civil if the choice is Trump and a democrat who has gotten in the mud i cant imagine any will abandon the democrat for Trump.

I also think the reality is that the people who favor civility will have an emotional experience in seeing Trump humiliated.  They will in turn more strongly support the democrat who will in other circumstances be civil.

Unseen
    Participant

Man alive, Unseen, i cant understand why you think Trump is a tough guy to oppose. On the contrary i can’t imagine an easier opponent. If you as a candidate can not eviscerate him, leave him in a puddle of sweat, vomit and piss while he ignominiously grabs his crotch for emotional support, then you as a candidate suck! Get down in the dirt and exchange insults…attack his record…engage him intellectually in any topic. I doubt there is anything he can debate intelligently.

Underestimating Trump won him the 2016 election. The only chance they’ll get to even face him will be in debates, but he’s not above saying he doesn’t need to debate. He’s become expert at being noncooperative and it’s benefited him. He may simply go to rallies on debate day, if debates are even scheduled.

Then, the single one thing he’s good at (the one honest thing) is branding. When he derisively brands the candidate, do they try to brand him back or laugh it off and ignore it? Derision is a very powerful weapon. Or do they do worse? “When they go low, we go and PISS on them.”

jakelafort
    Participant

Unseen you implied debate.

But if he does not appear for debates you call him a coward. You take every opportunity to discuss the way he has conducted himself.  You question his competence, his intelligence and his integrity.  You say he is afraid to face you. You ask the public whether they are comfortable voting for an incumbent who is either too frightened to appear for a debate or has become so similar to the dictators he admires and befriends that he considers himself above the requirements of democracy.

Yeah he is good at branding. But it is the stuff ten years olds do.  Lion Ted and other childish monikers. I would avoid that.

Unseen
    Participant

Unseen you implied debate. But if he does not appear for debates you call him a coward. You take every opportunity to discuss the way he has conducted himself. You question his competence, his intelligence and his integrity. You say he is afraid to face you. You ask the public whether they are comfortable voting for an incumbent who is either too frightened to appear for a debate or has become so similar to the dictators he admires and befriends that he considers himself above the requirements of democracy. Yeah he is good at branding. But it is the stuff ten years olds do. Lion Ted and other childish monikers. I would avoid that.

Trump gets away with stonewalling Congress daily. I don’t see saying he has more important things to do than debate like being President (=playing golf, =tweeting) as in any way fatal. When he actually showed up to debate Clinton, he didn’t really debate her. He just did his thing. Rational people thought/knew that she won by every objective standard.

It’s dangerous to apply objective standards to El Presidente.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.