Is the demos killing democracy?

Homepage Forums Politics Is the demos killing democracy?

This topic contains 33 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  jakelafort 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

This article indicates that it is. From the article:

Right-wing populists don’t have to make much sense. They can simultaneously blame immigrants for taking jobs away from Americans while claiming that these same people are lazy layabouts sponging off welfare. All the populist followers care is that they now have an enemy to blame for their feelings of ennui.

And unlike democracy, which makes many demands, the populists make just one. They insist that people be loyal. Loyalty entails surrendering to the populist nationalist vision. But this is less a burden than an advantage. It’s easier to pledge allegiance to an authoritarian leader than to do the hard work of thinking for yourself demanded by democracy.

“In sum, the majority of Americans are generally unable to understand or value democratic culture, institutions, practices or citizenship in the manner required,” Rosenberg has concluded. “To the degree to which they are required to do so, they will interpret what is demanded of them in distorting and inadequate ways. As a result they will interact and communicate in ways that undermine the functioning of democratic institutions and the meaning of democratic practices and values.”

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by  Unseen.

Bill
    Participant

“America isn’t easy. America is advanced citizenship. You gotta want it bad, ’cause it’s gonna put up a fight.”

– Andrew Shepherd (“The American President”)

_Robert_
    Participant

The wealthy do not want a true democracy, just as Noam Chomsky often states. I think we are more of a “Corp-o-cracy” or something like that. They can’t trust us lowly citizens to safeguard and increase their wealth. Recently I have come to think that the institution of slavery had a lot to do with our limited democracy. I have been reading  ‘Ole Jeff Davis’s book on the rise and fall of the Confederacy. His interpretation of what the Founding Father’s were trying to do has me thinking a little less of them. I have felt that we shouldn’t judge them in today’s context…Perhaps we should !

So now our corporations play us against Chinese slave labor. Trump wants lower interest…yeah why save any money? spend, spend, spend. So many boomers will work till the end and drop and die where they work.

You don’t have time to learn these thing while you are working away, drinking your beer, watching your football, eating your crap food, buying your cheap Walmart crap. That’s how they like it.

Unseen
    Participant

So now our corporations play us against Chinese slave labor. Trump wants lower interest…yeah why save any money? spend, spend, spend. So many boomers will work till the end and drop and die where they work.

They want to guilt-trip us for using plastic straws rather than paper straws or for not recycling our cans and bottles while they cause an asthma epidemic and change the climate with their practices.

_Robert_
    Participant

A few states actually split their electoral votes as opposed to the typical all-for-one scheme. That alone would help with election fairness.

Only two states, Nebraska and Maine, do not follow the winner-takes-all rule. In those states, there could be a split of Electoral votes among candidates through the state’s system for proportional allocation of votes -wiki

I agree with that article. A democracy takes work and ideally you are not taking opioids. Holy crap, I had a first class addition to Diet Coke for years. I swear I had withdrawals.

Quincy
    Participant

Wovernments. Oner for the  right, onr for the left. We are a divided nation and will be for a very, very long time. As long as there are those media outlets that choose one side or the other, back up conspiracy theories, twist facts and big corporations continue to fill This has been going on for far too long. Pherhaps it is time to actually divide our country, litterally and have two governments. One for the right, the other for th left. Find out once and for all which one truly belives in democracy and which one is all inclusive. Dems are not killing democracy, everyone is. Including the media. Or should I say the media and any social media, network, etc…

Unseen
    Participant

Dems are not killing democracy, everyone is. Including the media. Or should I say the media and any social media, network, etc…

I fear you may have viewed the subject line as maybe a typo. “Demos” is not “Dems” misspelled. It is Greek for “the people,” “the populace,” or “the citizenry.”

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Unseen.

Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.

–    Churchill

Jody Lee
    Participant

There is barely a vague illusion of democracy these days. Politicians don’t even try to hide it anymore. It’s a bribe competition.

Davis
    Participant

There is barely a vague illusion of democracy these days. Politicians don’t even try to hide it anymore. It’s a bribe competition.

Sadly it is yet one more example of the U.S. forking away from the rest of the Western world and doing the opposite of what is widely seen as progressive in politics. Canada and most of Europe impose strict limits on how much you can donate to a party. In Canada it is very low (both for corporations and individual donors). There is a limit of how much can be spent on a campaign. These limits and donations are heavily audited every year and there have been several police investigations over it. This obviously has drastically changed the way politics works. Watch as the US enacts laws that often truly serve a few money making companies and badly effect some citizens. I believe a law was made but the supreme court striked it down because of the free speech clause which seems beyond ridiculous to me conflating money with speech but money speaks it seems, even in the justice system).

Norway has one of the most strict laws in general. When it comes to advertising for campaigns, enormous billboards are not permitted and there is a limit to the amount of signs you can paste all over the place. Vicious attack adds are totally banned (I believe this is one of the most progressive aspects possible because hate really sells in politics but does absolutely nothing but toxify politics). Disinformation is also investigated (if they are blatant lies or willfully manipulative) and such adds will be blocked. Of course I imagine these laws are quite over the top even for a very progressive American. But I have seen the difference in the rhetoric, debates and analysis done in Canada vs. the US and honestly it is like day and night. Rampant disinformation, attack adds and hard core corporate sponsorship utterly erode democractic principles. But I don’t know what the US could possibly do. With that supreme court ruling it seems like the cycles of corporate sponsorship will not end any time soon. Unless a government gets very creative or the court radically changes. It’s quite a pity. It makes things so disfunctional.

_Robert_
    Participant

I  like Bernie…..but is he electable? Swing states Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Texas will probably decide our next president.

Jody Lee
    Participant

I’m not sure he is. I feel like he’s felt his passion and is now on repeat. I fear people don’t take him as seriously anymore. I love his ideas and would definitely give him my vote,  but maybe someone a little more held together with those same progressive ideas would have a better chance.

jakelafort
    Participant

Jody, whachu talkin boat…held together….ya mean the flapping silver hair and the way he emotes…or sumpin else?

Jody Lee
    Participant

@jake

Not talking about his hair. Lol

But he can’t seem to keep his ideas together when speaking, he repeats himself a lot…I just worry this will cause voters to stop paying attention. I love Bernie,  don’t get me wrong. He’s just coming across tired, and who can blame him? We are all.

Unseen
    Participant

@jake Not talking about his hair. Lol But he can’t seem to keep his ideas together when speaking, he repeats himself a lot…I just worry this will cause voters to stop paying attention. I love Bernie, don’t get me wrong. He’s just coming across tired, and who can blame him? We are all.

I’m pretty sure I’d look far more tired traveling from town to town everyday giving essentially the same talk at every stop. I’m not worried about Bernie’s energy level. He’s just not being candid (I won’t say honest) about the chance of him implementing his health care plan as described even with a Democrat-majority Senate. Ditto for Warren. Yet, I’d vote for either one. I would expect something better than what we have now.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  Unseen.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.