Mein Kampf

Homepage Forums Small Talk Mein Kampf

This topic contains 21 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Davis 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

I blew out my knee yesterday and it would only bear weight when straight, otherwise a painful twinge that threatened to cause a tumble. I consulted with my health plan’s advice nurse and she told me it sounded like it justified a trip to the ER, which I did.

The X-rays revealed no bone damage, so the theory is I may have damaged some of the non-bony tissues.

Anyway, they put a knee immobilizer on my leg and sent me home with instructions to see an orthopedist ASAP.

When you have to keep your leg straight, all kinds of ordinary things become difficult, like putting on socks and shoes, using the toilet for #2, standing up from any furniture that doesn’t have arms on both side.

Other things become impossible, like taking a shower in a step-in tub, getting upin case you fall down.

So, less than 24 hours after I headed to the ER, I found myself on the floor, having fallen. Other than a couple bloody scrapes, I was uninjured. However, it took three emergency techs to get me back on my feet.

I admit to being afraid of what’s ahead, for I will be seeing an otolaryngologist about perhaps doing a biopsy (a second one) on one of my vocal cords. Whatever he decides, I want to get it done ASAP, and I hope my limited mobility isn’t a wrench in the works.

• This topic was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Davis.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Lots of people I know right now seem to be injuring themselves, including me.  I’ve had a f***ed knee for two weeks, but it’s getting better.  I had an argument with a bus.

Davis

That’s a bummer Unseen. I guess you’ll have to pee sitting down for a while. My fingers are double crossed that your knees will be back to normal soon.

Simon, I think busses almost always win 😉

Autumn
    Participant
    I’d say take it easy, but it’s not easy being suddenly saddled with such a mobility issue. Maybe hold off on invading Poland for a little while, though.

I admit to being afraid of what’s ahead, for I will be seeing an otolaryngologist about perhaps doing a biopsy (a second one) on one of my vocal cords. Whatever he decides, I want to get it done ASAP, and I hope my limited mobility isn’t a wrench in the works.

A valid fear. My experience is while there are often resources to help people in such a situation, when you ask your doctors how you might manage, they just shrug their shoulders. Hopefully there is some sort of service that can get you to and from with relative ease. Waiting to get medical tests is shitty enough as it is.

Unseen
    Participant

That’s a bummer Unseen. I guess you’ll have to pee sitting down for a while. My fingers are double crossed that your knees will be back to normal soon. Simon, I think busses almost always win 😉

Doing things standing is not the problem with a brace that forces my leg straight. Getting up from the toilet is the bigger issue. My solution for now: don’t wear the brace.

BTW, I took a second fall yesterday in the evening, but with a monumental struggle was able to right myself, spraining my right index figure in doing so. I can blame both my falls to some extent on the brace. I’m afraid I have  to try to recover without it.

Thanks for your deeply entangled fingers.

Unseen
    Participant

Lots of people I know right now seem to be injuring themselves, including me. I’ve had a f***ed knee for two weeks, but it’s getting better. I had an argument with a bus.

There’s got to be a story there. Tell it.

My own plan right now is to go gentle on the left leg and let it heal while being used rather than stiffly immobilized

Unseen
    Participant

@autumn  I’ll know more after seeing the doctor this afternoon. I think medical people become overwhelmed by other people’s problems, much as the world is getting tired of Covid mandates and restrictions.;

_Robert_
    Participant

I am still jogging on a regular basis….but some days it is a real chore…good luck Unseen, you are right about the med folks, they are frazzled by all the covidiots.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

There’s got to be a story there. Tell it.

There isn’t much of a story.  I was standing at the bus stop trying to flag down the bus, but the driver couldn’t be bothered to stop, so I banged on the door and windows and it flipped me into the road, injuring my knee and shoulder and grazing my finger.  That’s what I get for being an idiot and giving way to anger.  I made a complaint to the bus company, and ever since, the bus drivers have been looking at me funny.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

Entitling a post “Mein Kampf” may get attention, but most likely not the audience you want. If anything, it might attract a crowd who prescribes a “Final Solution” to “invalids” with knee problems. 🤕🔫👨

On a more serious note, I hate to hear this on top of your other health woes.
    I hope you get well soon. It reminds us older members that the next place to stay should probably be ground level.

Stairs are a great measure of anti-home-invasion insurance, but can be dangerous for the elderly and handicapped and bionics might not come fast enough for comfort. As Thomas Sowell observed, life is trade-offs.

Again, hope you get well soon and cope with things in the interim.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Simon,

Sorry to hear about that too. This is one reason why many of us in the States love our own personal vehicles.

We choose our own itenerary and schedule.

We can charge riders “ass, gas, or grass” for fare or refuse riders entirely.

We can eat or drink anything without let or hinderance as long as it’s not intoxicating or distracting.

A Rosa Parks who saves pin money or butter-‘n’-egg money for a Nash Rambler or a Little Deuce Coupe doesn’t have to “take a back seat” for anybody and can flip the bird to anybody who ever made her life Hell.

We males who love our automobiles get to “manspread” without “mansplaining,” females have another on-the-go make-up compact in the rear-view mirror, and these birthrights are open to any gender in between too.

Indeed, The Automobile, The Telephone, and The Pill are the Holy Trinity of The Sexual Revelution. We’d still be in The Dark Ages without them.

Things get even better and more interesting if you can RV or have a houseboat in tow.

And if we don’t get to our destination on time, it’s our own damn fault and no one else’s.

Even many folks in Mother England share the same sentiments:

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Spelling and addendum. Autos are great, but fingers still have to do the walking

Davis

That’s a total bummer unseen. I hope you have your mobile handy with you!

I guess Simon, you won’t bang on a moving bus ever again! I would imagine the bus company didn’t give a toss about your complaint?

Davis

Most European cities have exceptionally good, clean, cheap and frequent public transportation (there are obvious exceptions I know). I do not miss the very high cost, frequent maintenance, grief or stress of driving. It would be a nightmare having a car in the city centre anyways. I can very easily used a shared car the rare times I ever need one.

Unseen
    Participant

Unseen, Entitling a post “Mein Kampf” may get attention, but most likely not the audience you want. If anything, it might attract a crowd who prescribes a “Final Solution” to “invalids” with knee problems. 🤕🔫👨 On a more serious note, I hate to hear this on top of your other health woes. I hope you get well soon. It reminds us older members that the next place to stay should probably be ground level. Stairs are a great measure of anti-home-invasion insurance, but can be dangerous for the elderly and handicapped and bionics might not come fast enough for comfort. As Thomas Sowell observed, life is trade-offs. Again, hope you get well soon and cope with things in the interim.

For the elderly, ironically, their home is their #1 enemy and cause of injury or death, other than disease.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I guess Simon, you won’t bang on a moving bus ever again! I would imagine the bus company didn’t give a toss about your complaint?

You’re right, the bus won for sure.  The bus company replied and said they would interview the driver, and they said they take this kind of thing very seriously.

Apparently schizophrenics can’t drive, according to myself and all the other schizophrenics I know.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.