Portland is getting a preview of Trump's 2nd term

Homepage Forums Politics Portland is getting a preview of Trump's 2nd term

This topic contains 31 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

I think much of Biden’s support will depend on his V.P. nomination. I wonder what her name will be?

I still think Keisha Lance Bottoms, the Mayor of Atlanta would be a great choice.

jakelafort
    Participant

My understanding is that choice of VP is not usually very important. It is more an issue of not making a bad choice like S. Palin. For the current election is probably has more importance than others. Lets suppose it is 15 percent of the voters who are undecided how much consideration will they give to Biden’s VP?

One factor is Biden’s apparent cognitive decline. Many will ask if he can not finish his term will the VP be a good president. If you are pandering to Bernie’s followers then ya need Elizabeth Warren perhaps. If you are after the ones who fear the protesters and the seeming radicalization of so many Americans then perhaps Kamala Harris is a good choice but in doing so you lose the progressives. If you are after the BLM movement and especially in getting more young people to vote then a black woman like Bottoms is a good choice. Or maybe Mrs. Obama? It is a tough call.

Unseen
    Participant

What are the Trumpists hearing about Portland? Jump in around 2:30.

jakelafort
    Participant

I am not buying what he is selling. If riots become too violent and with too much frequency then it is a factor. But in and of itself the police supporting Trump cuts both ways. Police have never been so vilified in US. For the police to support the racist candidate who opposes the advancement of blacks and egalitarianism in general may serve to mobilize the anti-trump vote. And if Trump/Barr up the ante with greater gestapo tactics and use of agents provocateur then an even greater reaction will ensue. But if the US turns into utter chaos..as in prerevolution that might indeed be the ticket to Trump’s reelection party.

What poll has that guy seen that i have not? Seems like every poll that is reported has Trump losing ground

@jakelafort – Is there anything in the 14th amendment that prohibits an anonymous federal force from picking random citizens off the streets or am I am I confusing this with another law? It is almost as if habeas corpus has been suspended in parts of Portland.

@Jakeafort especially in getting more young people to vote then a black woman like Bottoms is a good choice..

That is exactly why I think she would be a great choice.

jakelafort
    Participant

Yeah Reg, the due process clause does.

Unseen
    Participant

@jakelafort – Is there anything in the 14th amendment that prohibits an anonymous federal force from picking random citizens off the streets or am I am I confusing this with another law? It is almost as if habeas corpus has been suspended in parts of Portland.

These people who are picked up seem not to be charged with anything. If they are questioned at all, they need to be mirandized. I don’t think they need to mirandize them at the moment of arrest, as long as it is before interrogation. If they are simply detained (temporarily restrained but not arrested) habeas corpus probably doesn’t apply, because it is a requirement to produce (habeas) the body (corpus) of evidence upon which their arrest/incarceration is justified.

Unseen
    Participant

Trump will have so much fun with the name Bottoms. I almost can’t wait, as much as I hate his ass.

Yes, the alliteration of Biden and Bottoms will be irresistible to the tirade of Trumps twittering tiny thumbs!

jakelafort
    Participant

Unseen i am gonna resist analyzing your legal analysis-even after ten years retirement from law i am reluctant to think about it. I have law dreams though and even go through some complex analysis and application of legal formulae.

Yeah it would be fun to see what Trump does with Bottoms. Bottoms up. Biden down. Low energy Joe can’t get it up, get him out of town.

jakelafort
    Participant

Another point about the right wing speaker in that video is that the historical references are inapposite. The Overton window has changed. It was a different time during civil rights. Americans as a whole are a bit more advanced.

Unseen
    Participant

Yes, “Biden Bottoms out.”

Personally, I kinda wish he’d choose Tulsi Gabbard, a very soothing nonwhite woman and probably quite a bit less threatening to the average voter, who is hoping for change but not extreme change. Who wants to go back to pre-Trump normal, only better. Of course, that she’s Hindu would be a problem.

Unseen
    Participant

I checked my email just now and found:

jakelafort
    Participant

It is a truly tough call on who he should have as his VP. Were i advising him i would want to take polls in battleground states. Each choice draws in some undecideds and repels others so it requires a data and a little analysis.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.