Portland is getting a preview of Trump's 2nd term

Homepage Forums Politics Portland is getting a preview of Trump's 2nd term

This topic contains 31 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

Trump sends in military-style “police” in a show of force. To be clear, in my view, the response by the Mayor and City Commissioners has been lame, essentially subjecting our police to nightly abuse and hoping it will just blow over. Clearly, that’s not going to happen. However, it is a Portland problem and not one Trump needs to meddle in. He does have the right to send in Federal agents to defend Federal property, of course, but the officers he sent have gone way beyond that, grabbing and whisking away in unmarked cars protesters blocks away from any Federal property. Here’s a video followed by an essay I wrote.

My essay:

YES, PORTLAND HAS ANARCHISTS AND OTHER BAD ACTORS

HOWEVER, to read national news and Trump administration comments you’d think we Portlanders are hiding in our closets for fear some crazed protester might break into our home and murder us.

Actually, the streets are not teeming with lawless thugs terrorizing ordinary citizens. It’s Sunday morning as I write and it’s quiet, just as it’s quiet every day.The action tends to go on after dark and mostly around the downtown Justice Center. No longer are throngs of protesters flowing through downtown avenues breaking windows and tagging buildings with “BLM” and other messages.

In many ways, the city is calmer than it was a month or six weeks ago.

What goes on nightly is that a crowd forms around our Justice Center, a county building housing offices and the county jail. The protesters have a history of attempting to start fires in the building. And most of that goes on after dark.

I believe the sincere, law-abiding protesters are now staying home.

Am I painting the protesters with a broad brush? Surely they aren’t all there to cause that sort of mayhem. True. And yet, they are there by their own choice when they could dissociate themselves from such activities by simply not being there.

There are democratic ways of expressing their support for BLM and defunding police, such as attending legislative hearings and being heard. If getting what you want can’t be done democratically, is it really an option to do it illegally? If so, then you’ve been acting in bad faith, only pretending to believe in democracy when it suits you.

Trump is using Portland as a preview of what his second term would like, hoping that frustrated members of the public he’s doing his best to scare will like a heavy-handed militaristic approach to handling protests.

Anonymized Federal soldiers have started usurping the duties of Portland’s police by snatching protesters and whisking them away in unmarked cars. (I thought this sort of thing would be a right-wing nightmare, but the right actually seems to approve.)

Portland’s Mayor has let this situation get out of hand which gave Trump the opening he’s used to intrude in Portland’s affairs.

Many weeks ago, when this nightly standoff between protesters and police at the Justice Center started, with heavy defacing of the building and attempts to start it on fire, he should have instituted a curfew at the Justice Center, keeping protesters away from the building after some pre-darkness hour, like perhaps 7 p.m.

Enhanced penalties for anyone arrested in violation of the curfew to be in possession of a weapon or spray paint would help, too.

While he should have done that then, it’s not too late to do it now. Unfortunately, he hasn’t shown the will to do anything to frustrate the protesters and take the fun out of their misbehavior, because right now a lot of them are doing it for fun.

Unseen
    Participant

This is the picture of Portland people elsewhere in the country and world see. What videos like  this fail to convey is that this all happens, nightly, in a very small area of town around the Justice Center which occupies one city block. This sort of thing is not going on nightly all over town. I even live downtown about 10 or 12 blocks away and I never hear anything.

There are mass gatherings elsewhere but they tend to be peaceful. I suspect those gatherings are where those who abhor the violent approach taken by the demonstrators at the Justice Center congregate.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  Unseen.

_Robert_
    Participant

Trump is running on this…and fear of defunding the police, lol. This shit pisses working people off. He’s gonna win again. These kids don’t even vote.

_Robert_
    Participant

You there for this nice peaceful demonstration, unseen?

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Preview of what now?

Davis
    Participant

A huge portion of American society are really the ultimate bootlickers of the western world. I don’t know anywhere else that gets such a hard on for abusive authoritarian harsh uniformed alpha males. Despite power hungry overbearing police, systematically abusive prison guards and soldiers ready to kill Iraqis at the slightest provocation…the resistance to reform is formidable. The harsh view of justice is: if you did absolutely anything wrong (or even flinched your hands in the air) you deserve what’s coming to you and showing sympathy to you (and especially the dregs of society) is just being soft on crime which will only encourage more crime and trouble making. Despite the overwhelming evidence this approach makes everything worse (more crime, little rehabilitation, worse hardened criminals, little trust of police) the status quo seems essential. It’s part of a larger frame of mind where if you are in an undesirable situation it’s your fault and it is no one  responsibility to help solve these problems. And yet the contradiction with the “freedom warrior mentality” is paradoxical. How can you flip out over having to wear a mask and yet be sympathetic to police who will beat the shit out of you over possessing a gram of weed? Is that not a slight attack on basic freedoms? How can you freak out over a non-existant policy of having your guns taken away and yet not care that a person in prison for tax evasion has prison guards looking the other way while prisoners beat him/her or rape them? No freedom bending there?

The republican approval of Trump sending in guards into Portland only confirms this only all so much worse than the general status quo. Not only is bootlicking admirable, it is most admirable when people protesting for freedom for blacks make life slightly inconvenient for those who don’t care about such freedom. It was never about the concept of freedom for freedoms sake but for the specific freedoms Republicans value and totally ignoring or shelving those “guaranteed freedoms” that are grievances to them. They have no idea what freedom means and yet say the word freedom more than anyone else.

Unseen
    Participant

You there for this nice peaceful demonstration, unseen?

Nope. I suspect it never happened. It could be a well-done photoshopped image.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  Unseen.

_Robert_
    Participant

You had your turn being Euro-fascist bootlickers. Maybe it’s our turn now. You gonna come over here and save us? You don’t even need a mask, the virus is a hoax. Bring lots of ammo, you are gonna need it. Some weekends the woods behind my house sounds like a world war with all the bubbas shooting beer bottles back there.

I was reading how the Hungarians are starting up that shit again too. Can’t we leave you guys alone for a minute, LOL.

_Robert_
    Participant

I can’t believe Biden is our only best hope, for fuck’s sake. I am eligible for Italian citizenship, Jure Sanguinis. Gonna look into that.

Unseen
    Participant

I can’t believe Biden is our only best hope, for fuck’s sake. I am eligible for Italian citizenship, Jure Sanguinis. Gonna look into that.

And yet all the polls are showing that Biden has anywhere from a 10-pt to a 15-pt lead over Trump without even trying all that hard.

jakelafort
    Participant

Biden?

It is almost entirely about Trump. You could have a teddy bear, a soccer ball named Wilson or a lifer and there would be very little drop off in support. Furthermore there is an excellent chance that Biden will be caught up in the progressive zeitgeist and be more active than Obama.

If anyone is feeling Trump is going to win i am game for a wager.

_Robert_
    Participant

Well you may feel better living where you live, but these ass clowns are so very fired up around here. I simply can’t bear to even look at my facebook page any more. I don’t think tRump  polls well either. I hope you are correct. If you happen to follow the yahoo commentary on some stories it’s unbelievable.

Unseen
    Participant

Biden? It is almost entirely about Trump. You could have a teddy bear, a soccer ball named Wilson or a lifer and there would be very little drop off in support. Furthermore there is an excellent chance that Biden will be caught up in the progressive zeitgeist and be more active than Obama. If anyone is feeling Trump is going to win i am game for a wager.

I’m more optimistic than many people—especially young people—about the prospects of a Biden presidency.

Maybe it’s because I’m elderly but I think that this is a last hurrah kind of thing for Biden. Does he really want to waste it by being just another corporate Democrat, even if that’s his history? Or does he want to leave a legacy.

To anyone who thinks I’m being a pollyanna, I remind them that when Lyndon Johnson became an accidental President, he didn’t serve it as the Dixiecrat he had been before. Instead, he gave us the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

If you were Biden who, while he poses as a populist, is rather well off and doesn’t really need more money, would you use your presidency to enrich your campaign donors or would you want to leave office after giving America universal health care in some sense. It can’t be M4A for numerous reasons, but he could make Obamacare better or extend Medicare to cover all of those who have no health care insurance.

I’m optimistic.

jakelafort
    Participant

There is very little doubt that our immediate field of vision influences our perception. However that kind of data is akin to anecdotal evidence. Around me i hear vitriol and derision for Trump and his supporters. So that surely influences me. And i acknowledge his core supporters are like the morons we witnessed in the Trump rally video-painfully stupid. His core haters are just as adamant his supporters. So a great many votes are cast in stone.

So the independents and undecideds will be the difference makers. Trump’s intransigence in handling the pandemic is his undoing. I am sure it is gonna be the number one issue although it is connected to the economy which is typically numero uno issue. By november almost everybody is going to either know or know of people who died of the virus. And it is going to be increasingly clear that our behavior is the determinant of the success of the virus. So the noncommitted voters will have the unpleasant notion of Trump leading his morons to an escalation of an avoidable crisis that he caused. And then of course the idea of universal health care will look even more palatable.

jakelafort
    Participant

Unseen i am with you 100 percent on being optimistic about Biden. He has already agreed to work with his old buddy Sanders. And it is clear that the trajectory of history is contra the old reactionary regressive US that is embodied by Trump. The only thing that gives me pause and favors Trump’s reelection is the issue of whether the hard core Bernie supporters will come out in sufficient numbers. I’ve noticed the scuttlebutt in which it is Bernie or go fuck yourself cuz Biden is this and that. Irrational shit from ideologues..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.