Rats or Roaches or…?

Homepage Forums Science Rats or Roaches or…?

This topic contains 53 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  jakelafort 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

Yes of course most dogs are terribly enslaved. I remember with my dogs I used to hook them up to the plow and make them rip open the soil for most of the morning. And then in the afternoon I would force them to sew Prada purses. If they didn’t make at least 10 an hour I would appropriately flog them. Then in the afternoon I’d torture them by taking them for a walk and playing fetch, an activity that truly dehumanised them (or de-canined them?). In the evening, while they were begging for sleep I would feed them the kind of expensive food they loved whenever they were hungry because you have to keep their bellies full so they can toil all day long.

Dogs have so adapted to life with people that a dog—as opposed to a wolf—is kind of lost without a human to tell it what pleases the master. If they know and understand that, they will generally do it happily, be it fetching the paper or fighting another dog. It is, in a sense, a kind of self-enslavement like the human who finds “pleasure” in being a “sub” in a BDSM relationship.

Unseen
    Participant

That department is manned by cats who only work when they can be bothered to and only if they are fed fancy-feast whenever they meow. If they aren’t impressed by your petition they’ll swat at your face. If they are annoyed by you they will hiss hysterically until you fuck-off

You have been exposed to some very bad cats. My cat wants to be with me, physically, as much as possible. If I sit on the couch, she will cuddle up next to me and go to sleep. She does much the same if I lay down to go to sleep or take a nap. If a package comes, she insists on being there as I open it. She even joins me in the throne room, curled up into a little oval shape next to my foot.  As I type, she sits next to my keyboard and puts her paw on top of my hand as I type.

It all depends on whether you are a dog or a cat person. All of those things cat people find endearing but dog people find annoying.

Unseen
    Participant

Having had cats and dogs I knew nothing about about rabbits but my partner did. She brought home a Holland Lop 6 years ago and he is a such joy to interact with. Perhaps more logical than my cats and dogs were. He figured out how to operate a switch that turns on a fan when it gets warm outside and walks around on two legs like a penguin when he wants a treat. He has been a joy. <iframe title=”30 Bunny Tricks!!” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/TpRQ8aidsOc?feature=oembed” width=”670″ height=”377″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe>

Can rabbits be easily taught (or taught at all) to use a litter box?

Unseen
    Participant

Robert that is a rabbit revelation…had no clue.

Animals are amazing. My cousin nursed an injured crow and that thing was stuck to his shoulder just chatting to everyone in context with this huge vocabulary of English words. And he was good at other suburban sounds like bus horns and 737s. I was the same way with a 2 foot long garter snake, my companion for years. Even took him to school a few times.

Corvids (crows, ravens, jackdaws, etc.) are excellent mimics.

This is a major digression, but I think ornithologists regard the lyrebird to be the absolute pinnacle of avian mimicry:

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  Unseen.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  Unseen.

_Robert_
    Participant

Having had cats and dogs I knew nothing about about rabbits but my partner did. She brought home a Holland Lop 6 years ago and he is a such joy to interact with. Perhaps more logical than my cats and dogs were. He figured out how to operate a switch that turns on a fan when it gets warm outside and walks around on two legs like a penguin when he wants a treat. He has been a joy. <iframe title=”30 Bunny Tricks!!” src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/TpRQ8aidsOc?feature=oembed” width=”670″ height=”377″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe>

Can rabbits be easily taught (or taught at all) to use a litter box?

Yes, our guy uses a tub of hay. Once in a while he will drop a little poo pellet or two out on gazebo. One time we forgot to replace his hay tub after cleaning it so rather than just pee on the gazebo deck, he pulled a dish towel that we had lining the bottom of his car carrier and peed on that. He can easily do a three or four hour car trip, no problem. That lyrebird could get a job in Hollywood doing sound effects. Amazing.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Unseen
    Participant

Actually, Simon, bacteria would survive and could mean a fresh basis for new terrestrial evolution.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

OK, it should say – “cockroaches and bacteria will be able to ride our rollercoasters without paying the appropriate admission fees”.

jakelafort
    Participant

blows me away to watch elephants paint.
    once again the depth of non human animal to the forefront…

Genuine Elephant Artwork

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.