The Evil Cat Stevens

Homepage Forums Theism The Evil Cat Stevens

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

David Boots
    Participant

I was quite surprised recently to discover a friend was going to see Cat Stevens in concert. This is a man who believes anyone who renounces islam deserves to die. This is a man who called for the death of Salman Rushdie. Not once but twice (that we know of).

His current equivocation on his statements of shame and horror is only matched by the appalling naivety of those who will be attending his concerts.

Let us look at his exact words with regards to Rushdie –  ‘He must be killed. The Qur’an makes it clear – if someone defames the prophet, then he must die.’

And later he stated in a live TV show that if ordered to that he would kill Rushdie himself.

Why doesnt someone de-platform this monster?

• This topic was modified 11 months ago by  David Boots.

jakelafort
    Participant

There is something about his music.

So lets take the greatest examples of  evil in history and suppose they were performers..opera singers perhaps who routinely bring an audience to tears. Should we attend? Should we listen remotely?  Should we encourage some form of censorship? Should we incarcerate or execute the prick?

He is just a run of the mill asshole.  A fundamentalist.  Fundamentalists are dangerous out of a sincere belief, mostly.  If we had the science would it be appropriate to send a nanobot into his brain to deprogram him?  Is he beyond redemption?  If so is he beyond redemption after he murders Rushdie?

I found a religion that blended scientific reason with spiritual reality in a unifying faith far removed from the headlines of violence, destruction and terrorism.

I wonder which one does that?

_Robert_
    Participant

I think Cat’s music was good. Yusuf’s music sucks.  Anyone who reads that stupid book and converts is whacked.

Strega

@regthefronkeyfarmer See Sunday School for the Greek polytheistic religion – I bet it’s the closest religion around to do that!

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Is this him?  Anyway, I love Cat Stevens’ music.

I would dread to ask Wittgenstein what he thought about anything – pull up a chair, slump down, stick the newspaper over your face, and wait it out.

Ha! I had the same thought Strega 🙂

So nothing Wittgenstein could say would catch your interest as he observed you sitting in a chair with your face hidden?

Daniel W.
    Participant

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_StevensWhen I was young, I memorized several of Cat Steven’s songs.   I still know a couple of them.

He seems to be a rather complex character.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Stevens  I do’t know that I would characterize him as evil, but I don’t know that much about him. He states that some things he said earlier were out of context or misunderstood. I don’t know if I beleive that.

Strega

Daniel, I remember getting ready to go party with my sister and Cat Stevens greatest hits on the cassette recorder. I also memorized a lot of those songs.  When Cat got religion, I lost interest in him, but I still have many of those older songs on my devices.

JadeBlackOlive
    Participant

I won’t listen to him, or his music.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

@regthefronkeyfarmer – “Wittgenstein

– if he was clear, intelligible, and made his point like a pro, I guess I would be all ears.  It’s not whether he’s “right” or “wrong” that’s important – the fact that he has a reputation for being impenetrable, is a bad sign that he actually doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.