The Power of Prayer

Homepage Forums Atheism The Power of Prayer

This topic contains 245 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 246 total)
  • Author

Strega

Reg, those blank pamphlets have lit a fire in my heart. I’m planning to hand them out in town – I’ve googled ‘blank pamphlets for sale’ but I’m not finding any….

Participant

@Reg

That “stupid shit” is a response to the blatant disregard that Christians in government have in violating the American Constitution that they have sworn to uphold

I totally understand that Reg and I also totally agree. But to be honest with you something like that would have really scared my son a few years back. It’s creepy and really not sensitive to people with kids.

Participant

@Reg

We do not believe in the god you profess to belief in. You seem to have your own new version of Christianity, one you say is not religious and in which you have a personal relationship with a god you claim cannot be defined.

That is totally…not true

I suppose having a statue of dying man nailed to a cross with blood running from his wounds and thorns sticking out of his head is okay for children to see? Dressing kids up as demons and ghouls for Halloween is okay for them too.

What part is totally untrue?

We do not believe in the god you profess to believe in.

I say that is true as we are atheists.

One you say is not religious.

I say that is true as you have more than once said recently that you are not religious or a member of a religion.

You have a personal relationship with God.

I say this is true because you have claimed this is the case already.

A god that cannot be defined.

I say this is true for you because you have said so several times recently.

So to me it seems that you have an unorthodox type of Christianity.

Do you still believe you are an immortal?

@strega, I will photocopy some of my pamphlets and post them over to you. I will make the copies doubled sided to be environmentally friendly and to cut down on postage costs. Wait, I will just pick one at random and send that instead. Then you can drop into your local copy shop and make as many as you need.

Participant

@regthefronkeyfarmer

I suppose having a statue of dying man nailed to a cross with blood running from his wounds and thorns sticking out of his head is okay for children to see? Dressing kids up as demons and ghouls for Halloween is okay for them too.

Those things have historically scared and confused him too.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  ..

Participant

I say this is true for you because you have said so several times recently.

So to me it seems that you have an unorthodox type of Christianity.

Do you still believe you are an immortal?

Please stop. I can’t handle this. I’m falling apart right now. I don’t know what the fuck to do or what I believe or who I am. I’ve said that several times too.

I have complained about those crucifixes here on more than one occasion. When I was 11 I was in hospital for a few days. There was a 8 foot one hanging on the wall opposite my bed. I demanded to be moved to another ward. The nuns were not happy but ended up moving me when I start reciting the “Hail Mary” backwards and refused to take any medicine.  40 years later and I still complain but now it is on behalf of parents whose children are bombarded with the Zombie Jesus in non religious schools that vulgar Catholics won’t leave the fuck alone. I suppose I must be a committed atheist.haha!! The deluded ones would love to see me committed.

Belle do you think it might help if you took a break for a few days from these discussions? Give yourself some time and space to figure things out. Even if you don’t yet make sense of it just give your head some space, some peace. I go full tilt all day when it comes to arguing these sorts of topics. We are on your side. You are here too long for us not to be concerned for your welfare. We don’t want you to leave for good or anything but a break is probably a good move?

Participant

Then I’ll have no one

Simon Paynton
    Participant

It probably doesn’t do to interrogate someone under a bright light over what they did or didn’t say etc.  That could probably be a bit personal.

Participant

Simon please don’t right now.

PopeBeanie

@Belle I’ve mentioned this before, but the biggest reason I identify myself as an atheist is to push back against all the peer pressure foisted onto others to conform to the local belief system. Most terrible of all are the theocracies who put religion into law and prescribe official punishments, so in that respect I feel like a lucky atheist in spite of all the religious panderers thriving in our government.

Without theism being forced on people, I’m certain there’d be no need for atheism, and atheism would surely disappear. I dislike pushing the word delusion because it can strongly imply that more blame belongs to the victim than to the culture at large that’s pushing the ancient, traditional beliefs. I feel sorry for North Korean cult members (suffering from their more modern, foisted delusion), persecuted Muslim apostates, and other victims who aren’t even allowed to realize that other choices are available. I rarely get angry these days, but when I do, it’s usually because of arrogant people manipulating others who are just innocently powerless or under-educated or under-informed.

As difficult as it can be for human beings to think rationally for themselves, I think you’re way ahead of most human beings. You’ve had a rough road, and enough good reasons to be angry for what you’ve been through.

Knowing you as well as I think I do, and perhaps because of one of my daughters once younger with anger and stubbornness who’s now the coolest adult one could ever meet, I still enjoy some of the times you express anger. Stay honest and strong; no one knows everything; those who aggressively tell you how wrong you are are too often the least wise of all.

Participant

That’s a good word @popebeanie

Idk all I know is I’m like starting from square one and it’s frustrating as hell. Everything I thought I was sure about turns out nothing I thought was true is and my whole fucking life is one big web of confusion and I don’t know up from down and I have no way to know what to do from here. And I can’t trust anyone. Everyone has fucked with me and hurt me and I want to die

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 246 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.