What is love?

Homepage Forums Small Talk What is love?

This topic contains 47 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  jakelafort 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

How do you define love? For me, love is wanting what is best for the other person, even if it’s not what you’d want for yourself.

Parents express their love, for example, by encouraging a son or daughter to take go to college in a faraway place because it’s a great opportunity, even though they would much prefer to have her attend school nearby.

Similarly, your best friend and regular companion comes to you for advice. S/he has been offered a job that will mean moving far away. It sounds like a great opportunity. You are asked for your counsel and you say, “Of course you must accept this opportunity.”

True love is to be found only in a healthy parent/child relationship and in the relationship between true friends.

The big loser is romantic love, which is basically a blend of obsessiveness and possessiveness.

_Robert_
    Participant

You don’t think romantic love can also encompass true friendship, especially after years and years?

Jody Lee
    Participant

Hmmm…Love is tricky, yeah? But I think there can be true love between partners minus the obsession.

jakelafort
    Participant

Love is sharing half of your favorite meal. It is getting as much satisfaction from their pleasure as your own. It is feeling their pain…not running…doing utmost to relieve their pain. It is honesty except when honesty is on balance a bad decision. It is a form of intimacy in which you reveal things to the other you will not otherwise share. It is compromise for sake of other. it is knowing and enjoying baffling idiosyncracies. It is comfort. It is safety. It makes the universe intelligible. IT IS UNATTAINABLE. FUCK IT!

In terms of the jealousy/obsession in romantic love. Seems like polyamorous couples do it with aplomb. I wonder how asexuals get on. That is an interesting issue for doctorate in some area of social psychology. You are welcome whoever you are. I will project it telepathically to the person sitting their dwelling on finding the right topic, any topic…

Unseen
    Participant

You don’t think romantic love can also encompass true friendship, especially after years and years?

As years go by, romantic love often improves into friendship. Many couples stay together, loving each other as friends, even after the passionate sexual bond has dissolved.

Unseen
    Participant

Hmmm…Love is tricky, yeah? But I think there can be true love between partners minus the obsession.

Their passion bond collapses into a deep friendship.

Unseen
    Participant

Love is sharing half of your favorite meal. It is getting as much satisfaction from their pleasure as your own. It is feeling their pain…not running…doing utmost to relieve their pain. It is honesty except when honesty is on balance a bad decision. It is a form of intimacy in which you reveal things to the other you will not otherwise share. It is compromise for sake of other. it is knowing and enjoying baffling idiosyncracies. It is comfort. It is safety. It makes the universe intelligible. IT IS UNATTAINABLE. FUCK IT!

In terms of the jealousy/obsession in romantic love. Seems like polyamorous couples do it with aplomb. I wonder how asexuals get on. That is an interesting issue for doctorate in some area of social psychology. You are welcome whoever you are. I will project it telepathically to the person sitting their dwelling on finding the right topic, any topic…

What you describe in your first paragraph isn’t unattainable at all. It is the kind of love that exists in good parents for their kids or in the case of true friends. It actually exists.

As for your second paragraph, polyamory is an exercise in POWER over the partner (“See, I let my partner try a different partner, yet I still have her/him.”)

jakelafort
    Participant

Yes, that is true..parents for their kids.

Interesting take Unseen, bout power in polyamorous. I think polyamorous people would laugh at that notion.

Jody Lee
    Participant

jakelafort
    Participant

Thanks Jody

I think it is the first music vid i watched in its entirety.

Jody Lee
    Participant

No problem.  Did you dance? 😊

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  Jody Lee.

jakelafort
    Participant

Not sure it can be characterized as dancing but some sort of spasmodic paroxysms of movement.

Jody Lee
    Participant

It counts.

jakelafort
    Participant

I will take it but i am gonna repurpose it as paroxysms of spasmodic cosmic love.

Unseen
    Participant

Yes, that is true..parents for their kids. Interesting take Unseen, bout power in polyamorous. I think polyamorous people would laugh at that notion.

Well, then perhaps they aren’t romantic relationships at all, but friendships as I define them. Eh? I’m right either way.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  Unseen.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.