When are thought experiments valid…and when not?

Homepage Forums Science When are thought experiments valid…and when not?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Strega Strega 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Unseen
    Unseen
    Participant

I’m a structural engineer responsible for designing a bridge across a wide body of water. The bridge will have to bear unusually heavy loads up x tons. I have a sudden idea for a new support system. To test the bridge, I first imagine the bridge and then imagine a truck weighing x crossing it. No problem. I then imagine a truck weighing twice x and again the bridge holds.

I take it that’s an example of an absurd thought experiment.

What’s the difference between this thought experiment and a good one?

Well, if one’s mind is as expansive as Edward Wittens’, then scientifically thinking about concepts without writing them down is probably okay.

If not like Witten, and lack built-in evidence, then thought experiments must be substantiated by keen research/evidence, as much as possible.

Profile photo of Strega
    Strega

Half my cats are at war with each other.  A good thought experiment enabled me to work out where to put the cranky ones so they never meet yet still have access to all the house.  I worked out how to inspire each of them to go into the room designated when the time came to revolve their presence without them encountering each other, and without having to rely on my memory on a daily basis.

Profile photo of Unseen
    Unseen
    Participant

Half my cats are at war with each other. A good thought experiment enabled me to work out where to put the cranky ones so they never meet yet still have access to all the house. I worked out how to inspire each of them to go into the room designated when the time came to revolve their presence without them encountering each other, and without having to rely on my memory on a daily basis.

Half your cats? How many dozen cats do you have, you cat lady?

Profile photo of Strega
    Strega

Ha Unseen!  What is the minimum number of cats I must have to make my above post grammatically and logically correct?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.