When everyone is an expert, no one is.

Homepage Forums Science When everyone is an expert, no one is.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

Interesting discussion. “A pandemic of narcissism” is the correct term for the mass movement of these deluded cranks.

It is the same when unqualified celebrities give unsolicited medical advice. It is almost always bogus and unscientific, like Reiki or TCM. They take center stage and the illness being discussed becomes the sideline story.

I think their mindset is very similar to that of religious fundamentalists which are constructed upon years of confirmation bias and group polarization. No counter arguments will get a fair hearing because they already have their minds made up.

I know a Professor of ENT who told me that patients, especially in the last few years,  tell him outright that he is wrong, that they know better or that they got different opinions from FB friends. He now asks them “So what are you doing in my surgery then”?

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

Charles Darwin wrote in The Descent of Man.

The Dunning Kruger effect

Unseen
    Participant

It is the same when unqualified celebrities give unsolicited medical advice. It is almost always bogus and unscientific, like Reiki or TCM. They take center stage and the illness being discussed becomes the sideline story.

We have a White House “celebrity” who is probably the prime national example of this infestation.

It is even worse when people are given a platform to revel in their own ignorance of scientific matters and are then applauded by their audience of morons.

Ivy
    Participant

This pandemic has revealed how absolutely and utterly stupid people are and that we are all going to die because of them 😂

jakelafort
    Participant

Ivy, churches were way ahead of this pandemic in indicating how absolutely and utterly stupid people are. But not all of em…

You shouldn’t argue with stupid people. The best result, if you ever do so, is that you get to say that you won an argument with a stupid person.

Davis
    Participant

Yeah Reg…but for every 9,999 arguments with a stupid person you’ll slightly change the point of view of 1 person. I’d say a 0.01% success rate makes all those hours of arguing with stupid dip-shits worth it!

Maybe, but I no longer do. I will explain my points but leave it at that. I tend to no longer explain Scientific subjects to theists. I just ask them to justify their own beliefs (a deliberate Socratic approach). When they eventually can’t they might have some doubts they want to consider. Then I will give them other options to think about.

“I won’t wear a mask because Trump doesn’t”. Goodbye, I am no longer talking to you.

Ivy
    Participant

@Reg

“I won’t wear a mask because Trump doesn’t”. Goodbye, I am no longer talking to you.

RIGHT? 😂

jakelafort
    Participant

“I wont think for myself because my parents don’t, my friends don’t and the church tells me to have faith.” Therefore i am convinced of virgin birth and original sin.

Davis
    Participant

Oh dear Reg. I think once again my sarcasm wasn’t brutal enough. I would say arguing with stupid people makes you even more stupid.

Ok, me stupid!

_Robert_
    Participant

Ok, me stupid!

Just put on a red MAGA hat. Suddenly you will know everything.

Just put on a red MAGA hat. Suddenly you will know everything.

I am going to re-use that line a few times. Good one 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.