When will the Feds give up on "You should never pay a ransom"?

Homepage Forums Small Talk When will the Feds give up on "You should never pay a ransom"?

This topic contains 36 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

Well LOOK AT YOU!!!

Seriously, not everyone is going to be as prepared/paranoid as you. Just fuck ’em, or what?

Now, look, you’re the one who brought up the topic of ransom-hacking of oil and utilities. 😎   I just gave my own reply to the issue.  Just one person doing it is starfish-tossing, but many more doing it can make a Hollywood Walk of the Sea.

Yes, my view is fuck the terrorists and gangster-rulers, but pass on whatever wisdom and assistance you can to fellow citizens and we’ll get through whatever’s thrown our way.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Robert,

You’ve got a wonderful set-up there, especially the Berkey!👍👍

I’ve heard wonderful things about Berkey Water Filter Systems.  I’ve had that and a SodaStream on my Wish List for a long time.  Some more overtime and maybe I can buy them eventually.

_Robert_
    Participant

Let’s follow this story from El Salvador about its adoption of bitcoin as legal tender. That should make for a stable economy!

Yeah. Every time Mr. Musk tweets with a #BTC; the GNP of El Salvador may halve or double.

Unseen
    Participant

Cybercurrency is impossible to track, so the government would need a new way to assess and collect taxes.

Unseen
    Participant

Unseen,

Well LOOK AT YOU!!! Seriously, not everyone is going to be as prepared/paranoid as you. Just fuck ’em, or what?

Now, look, you’re the one who brought up the topic of ransom-hacking of oil and utilities. 😎 I just gave my own reply to the issue. Just one person doing it is starfish-tossing, but many more doing it can make a Hollywood Walk of the Sea. Yes, my view is fuck the terrorists and gangster-rulers, but pass on whatever wisdom and assistance you can to fellow citizens and we’ll get through whatever’s thrown our way.

Refusing to pay a ransom won’t fuck the terrorists half as much as it will the Americans who have no food, water, electricity, or gasoline. I was saying that you were not thinking of the impact on your fellow man.

Your preparations are impressive, but at some point they will run out or fail.

_Robert_
    Participant

Cybercurrency is impossible to track, so the government would need a new way to assess and collect taxes.

I have read that it is trackable and wallet servers may be seized, denying owners access to their funds. I see $BTC was dropping in value a little last night….maybe because this is news to some.

I hold some ‘stablecoin’ as cash in my brokerage account just because it pays 6% and is audited to be backed 1:1 by US dollars and has no fees to interchange in and out. I have not looked hard into how it pays so much, other than it is probably loaned out on margin so others can buy crypto, and obviously it is uninsured and at some risk from who know what, LOL?

Much of the bitcoin ransom paid over the Continental Pipeline attack has been recovered. Next week, President Biden will be telling Putin that he has enough of this malarkey already!

Unseen
    Participant

Much of the bitcoin ransom paid over the Continental Pipeline attack has been recovered. Next week, President Biden will be telling Putin that he has enough of this malarkey already!

That surprised me. I thought one of the selling points of Bitcoin was that governments can’t touch it. I’d like someone to explain to me how they did it (assuming I could understand it, LOL).

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

Refusing to pay a ransom won’t fuck the terrorists half as much as it will the Americans who have no food, water, electricity, or gasoline. I was saying that you were not thinking of the impact on your fellow man.

Your preparations are impressive, but at some point they will run out or fail.

Terrorists, like everyone else, operate on incentives, albeit perverse, irrational, evil ones.

If terrorists know that they will not get their ransom or other demands by hacking and hijacking, the terrorists will be much less wont to try hacking and hijacking in the first place. And if the terrorists know that citizens have alternate, redundant, resilient means of providing for their survival needs and can’t be forced into submission, the terrorists will know they can’t get what they want and will back away from hacking and hijacking systems of support.

Also, not negotiating with terrorists and citizens practicing emergency preparedness in the face of terrorist threats both help stall the terrorists long enough so that law enforcement and/or military and intelligence can detect the whereabouts and weaknesses of the terrorists and bring the terrorists swift and certain justice.

The Israelis have had great success when they refused to negotiate with terrorists, and from encouraging citizens to practice emergency preparedness.

Many Israeli homes and businesses have basement bomb shelters and windowless “panic rooms” stocked with provisions as standard building features. Also, Israeli teachers, Israeli air marshalls on El Al Airlines, and everyday Israeli citizens in the street are all universally armed and trained in the proper uses of arms. And, of course, with the raid on Entebbe, Uganda in 1978, the Israelis showed they would go to the ends of the Earth to rescue and avenge their kidnapped citizens from terrorists.

None of this has adversely affected Israel’s regard for fellow humans. Israel is still a secular, multiparty parliamentary society with free expression that welcomes all faiths and none, with equal citizens from many nationalities including Arabs, and has equal rights for women and LGBTQ+ people. And while Israel like all nations has problems to be solved, Israel is a bastion of civilization and relative prosperity in a sea of hostile and indifferent neighbors.

Now, to address emergency preparedness, items you keep for emergency preparedness don’t have to last forever. They just have to be ready when you need; maintained, replaced, and rotated when used up or wore out; and they only have to last the duration of the emergency, followed by replacement.

The emergencies most likely to happen are those of short duration involving the fewest people e.g. seasonal weather, auto accidents, injuries at home, unemployment, etc. If you can prepare for those and multiply that several times over, you’ll be ready for bigger, longer-lasting emergencies.

Also, while all emergencies have different traits, surviving them all share common denominators. Humans need, in this order:

* Rational Thought;
    * Oxygen;
    * First Aid Skills and Items (for immmediate injuries and medical conditions;)
    * Shelter (to preserve body temperature and protect from exposure to the elements;)
    * Water;
    * Food;
    * Barriers and Weaponry (to defend all of these against predation by other humans or other species;)
    and finally,
    * Knowledge and Tools (to obtain, maintain, preserve, raise, grow, use, and enjoy all of these things.)

The more you and those around you have or can obtain of all of these things via trade, donation, and exchange of ideas, the better off you’ll all be in any situation, even if nothing ever goes wrong.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Quotation addendum and avoiding too much redundancy

Yes, I was thinking about that. The FBI or NSA would be unlikely to disclose how that was done. I am speculating here but I suspect that the code used to transfer the funds had a “bug” attached to it that told the FBI the bank (or digital wallet) the bitcoins were sent to. Similar to a bug placed in a briefcase given to kidnappers in the movies when a ransom is being paid. Bitcoin transactions use different types of encryption techniques and some of the journey is done in “public”  to keep the blockchain data intact (the digital ledger used to verify “hashed” senders and receivers). At some point in the journey to the “kidnappers” the transaction was carried out on the US banking system. The FBI can intervene because a crime is being committed using (misusing) the federal banking system backbone.

They were following the journey of the transfer from the start so could intervene to see where it ended up and they knew the key used at the start of the journey.  Given that the US military “invented” the Internet, it is not unreasonable to assume they have a few back doors to snoop. Even using Tor and being on the dark web does not grant full anonymity if you are connecting to any server put in place by the NSA.  It might be end-to-end encrypted but it must pass through points on the network that are owned or monitored by the NSA or FBI. It would be naive to think otherwise.

Hundreds of criminals worldwide have been arrested after using a “secure” messaging app…..created by the FBI!

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

Or the government would need to get their spending down to strictly Constitutional functions and not ask for so much.

Stop paying people just to exist as they have this past year and continue to do so even with COVID-19 lifting. And stop choosing winners and losers in the marketplace with subsidies and bailouts to failing businesses, failing banks and investment firms, ag firms paid to not grow crops, artists who can pay for their own clay and oil paints.  And nobody likes to hear this, but ultimately, something will have to be done about the big fiscal killers of Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid.

Myself, I would gladly forgo everything I’ve paid into the last three programs  if I never seen the acronym “F.I.C.A.” on a paystub again.  Let me put my earnings into a balanced, private set of portfolios and I could earn it all back fairly easy in time for maybe a little retirement or at least a comfortable continuing career.

A fantasy that it’ll happen in today’s climate, but a young curmudgeon needs dreams too.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

They cut off heating oil in Alaska in the dead of winter.

A big problem in Alaska is that, although they are a source of oil, they can’t get the oil to their refineries via roads.  The have to sail it around their coast and to do that, they face a big legal barrier.

The Jones Act a.k.a. The Merchant Marine Act of 1920, requires that ships carrying goods from one U.S. port to another have to be U.S. flagged, U.S. built, and manned by at least 80 percent U.S. crew members.

The shortage of U.S. ships capable of hauling petroleum around the icy waters of Alaska means that the oil companies either have to pay more to U.S. shipping companies or depend on foriegn ships, which puts oil security at risk if it is a potentailly hostile power.

The best bet of all would be repealing this ridiculous Protectionist nonsense completely and letting the oil flow free across the seas to and from any port of call, regardless of nationality as long we are not officially at war.  And if Alaska and the oil companies could have more roads, that could help too.

Oh, here’s the link wher I found that, complete with links to other article on the subject too:

Ameeica’s Shipping Laws Made The Gas Crisis Worse

America’s Shipping Laws Made the Gas Crisis Worse

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Added link to story

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Robert,

Redundancy and reserve supplies are the easy answers. But these companies are cash cow cheap asses.

Sad to say, those companies in these days and times could end up as the Sears & Roebuck of petroleum.

If I were a petroleum C.E.O., I would feel I owe it to my customers, my employees, my shareholders, and above all myself to keep the oil flowing.  Cybersecurity and redundant, resilient systems are a relatively small price to pay for continued and growing market share.

As the Brits might say, to do otherwise is Penny-wise and Pound-Sterling foolish.

Unseen
    Participant

@theencogitationer

Maybe you’re ready for a cyber attack, an alien invasion, or the zombie apocalypse but the public will never follow your lead in any numbers and the government can’t just throw them under the bus in the name of a principle that works in a far more regimented society that’s nothing at all like America.

Unseen
    Participant

Yes, I was thinking about that. The FBI or NSA would be unlikely to disclose how that was done. I am speculating here but I suspect that the code used to transfer the funds had a “bug” attached to it that told the FBI the bank (or digital wallet) the bitcoins were sent to. Similar to a bug placed in a briefcase given to kidnappers in the movies when a ransom is being paid. Bitcoin transactions use different types of encryption techniques and some of the journey is done in “public” to keep the blockchain data intact (the digital ledger used to verify “hashed” senders and receivers). At some point in the journey to the “kidnappers” the transaction was carried out on the US banking system. The FBI can intervene because a crime is being committed using (misusing) the federal banking system backbone.

They were following the journey of the transfer from the start so could intervene to see where it ended up and they knew the key used at the start of the journey. Given that the US military “invented” the Internet, it is not unreasonable to assume they have a few back doors to snoop. Even using Tor and being on the dark web does not grant full anonymity if you are connecting to any server put in place by the NSA. It might be end-to-end encrypted but it must pass through points on the network that are owned or monitored by the NSA or FBI. It would be naive to think otherwise. Hundreds of criminals worldwide have been arrested after using a “secure” messaging app…..created by the FBI!

I suspect this gang don’t like bein’ screwed over, so we may see them escalate in some fashion or other.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.