When will the Feds give up on "You should never pay a ransom"?

Homepage Forums Small Talk When will the Feds give up on "You should never pay a ransom"?

This topic contains 36 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

The Russian ransom terrorists specifically choose victims that will NEED to pay the ransom. So, we’ve got to pay the ransoms until the Feds come up with a practical solution.

What IS the solution?

_Robert_
    Participant

1)Mandatory reporting of attacks

2)Laws against paying ransom

Bitcoin has finally found a practical use, LOL. Note that the attack on the pipeline was against their billing system. They shut their own pipeline so they could still be paid by their customers. If they are not allowed to pay ransom they will have to make their systems robust.

Who know what the US is doing in the cyber wars? We may be doing similar things.

Unseen
    Participant

1)Mandatory reporting of attacks 2)Laws against paying ransom Bitcoin has finally found a practical use, LOL. Note that the attack on the pipeline was against their billing system. They shut their own pipeline so they could still be paid by their customers. If they are not allowed to pay ransom they will have to make their systems robust. Who know what the US is doing in the cyber wars? We may be doing similar things.

Many victims will have to pay the ransoms, and not for selfish reasons. They cut off heating oil in Alaska in the dead of winter. They lock up the Chase Bank’s computers. They shut down drinking water to Los Angeles or Chicago.

What choice is there but to pay the ransom, Bob?

If our hackers can figure out who they are and either screw them over or a hit team kill them dead…I see little choice.

And they research these gigs. They know what the victims can afford to pay.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Unseen.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

What the petro companies and distributors need are Intranets that run parallel to the Internet, side-by-side, but never touching.  The moment a hack is detected, the Internet is cut off, the Intranet is engaged, and the hackers no longer have control of anything!  And as a backup for control via Intranet, have manual over-rides ready.

People who learn to drive on straight-drives can transition to automatics easily.  People who learn to drive on automatics have a bear of a time learning to drive a straight-drive.  Technology and learning that is backwards-compatible is always the way to go in an emergency.

Also, there shouldn’t be just one pipeline supplying a region, but a spider web of pipelines that can allow for plug up of damage and rerouting around damage, just as the World Wide Web does the same thing with data.

Finally, to make the web of oil pipelines complete, have multiple nodes of supply.  Oil supply shouldn’t be limited to just Alaska and Texas.  See if the Appalachian Mountains can dredge up some Black Gold in the same territories as the old coal mines.  Give the meth-heads and Fenty-fans up there something better and more lucrative to do with their lives!   Maybe I have some weird aesthetics, but I think an oil-rig off Myrtle Beach and Carolina Beach would look much better than their multiple “Bike Weeks” anytime!

And yes, carry on with no negotiation with or ransom to terrorists.  Those responses are what insurers call creating a moral hazard i.e. it’s enabling shitty behavior which just gets you more of it.

_Robert_
    Participant

Redundancy and reserve supplies are the easy answers. But these companies are cash cow cheap asses. Private infrastructure monopolies should be required to be secure. Russians and Chinese cyber assholes are not that clever, this shouldn’t be that hard to make secure. We make it easy for them. Also, lay on the sanctions. Assume Putin is behind it, no evidence needed. He has shown his colors many times.

Unseen
    Participant

While the block chain makes it easier for unidentified terrorists to hold systems for ransom, does it also provide security options we never had before as well?

And I still think that if some hackers are holding my region’s water or sewage system, or some major hospital’s internal network for ransom, there is no real choice but to pay.

And remember: These are the good guys relatively speaking. What about a military adversary who would just love to send the U.S. back into the 1800’s.

_Robert_
    Participant

While the block chain makes it easier for unidentified terrorists to hold systems for ransom, does it also provide security options we never had before as well? And I still think that if some hackers are holding my region’s water or sewage system, or some major hospital’s internal network for ransom, there is no real choice but to pay. And remember: These are the good guys relatively speaking. What about a military adversary who would just love to send the U.S. back into the 1800’s.

The billing system for that pipeline was probably some piece of crap 20-year old software running on some desktop PC connected straight to the internet. The pipeline people probably secured that system in less than a week after the ransom was paid. The attackers may have had inside help as well. Time for corporate America to start clearing people who work on or use targetable systems.

Also, I would not be surprised if the CIA/NSA/FBI/Homeland Security/US Military knows who the perpetrators are already. If a few of these jokers should suddenly “evaporate”, that would send a signal and buy some time for us to clean up these vulnerable systems.

Unseen
    Participant

The billing system for that pipeline was probably some piece of crap 20-year old software running on some desktop PC connected straight to the internet. The pipeline people probably secured that system in less than a week after the ransom was paid. The attackers may have had inside help as well. Time for corporate America to start clearing people who work on or use targetable systems.

Also, I would not be surprised if the CIA/NSA/FBI/Homeland Security/US Military knows who the perpetrators are already. If a few of these jokers should suddenly “evaporate”, that would send a signal and buy some time for us to clean up these vulnerable systems.

True, many companies are still running crappy old software. I’m pretty sure anyone who is a facile FORTRAN programmer/troubleshooter can make a tidy living. Might be true of BASIC as well.

I wonder if we have assets in Russia that could make an unfortunate accident happen to these ransomers.

However, forget the private ransom terrorists, I’m far more concerned about hostile state actors causing major disruptions to vital goods and services or worse actually destroying the same.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Unseen.

_Robert_
    Participant

Awe, that is just too bad, guess the crypto isn’t so secure after all !!!

Justice Dept. Recovers Most of Colonial Pipeline Ransom – The New York Times (nytimes.com)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/07/us/politics/justice-department-colonial-pipeline-ransom.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Bitcoin faces fresh scrutiny as police call for new powers to freeze crypto assets in the U.K. – MarketWatch

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bitcoin-faces-fresh-scrutiny-as-police-call-for-new-powers-to-freeze-crypto-assets-in-the-u-k-11623084973

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

In my meager 1 bed 1 bath apartment, I have:

A 50-gallon water heater and a 6-foot water hose;

Several gallons of pre-bottled water under my pantry;

A bag of charcoal, sand, pebbles, paper and cloth to make filters for standing water;

Aquatabs and Neutralizer in case I have to break into the creek water;

A mini outdoor grill to boil water;

Antimicrobial wet wipes and waterless hunter’s soap, shampoo, and conditioner;

A bucket of cat litter, a bag of baking soda, and a folding shovel for waste disposal (always 400 + yards away from any water source;)

Toilet paper and fast-food napkins;

A whole collection of First Aid supplies for everything from little boo-boos to sucking chest wounds, plus training in First Aid, the Heimlich Maneuver, CPR, and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation;

A regularly updated medicine chest of prescriptions and supplements;

Everyday non-perishable provisions;

Disposable paper plates and eating ware;

Eight layers of op-sec between me and the outside world;

Silent but deadly weaponry after all that is breached;

And a translator app that can say “Nuts!” to any ransom-demanding State or Non-State actor in Russian, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, Persian, or dozens of other languages.

All within easy reach of any American of any income.

Uh, no, no ransom for Putin, Xi, Sulayman, or Khameini.

jakelafort
    Participant

Speaking of crypto innovations a new company is turning horse racing into a digital affair. Having watched a race i would say it is on a par with baseball-no it is worse. But of course people are paying big money to own these crypto horses.

Unseen
    Participant

Unseen, In my meager 1 bed 1 bath apartment, I have: A 50-gallon water heater and a 6-foot water hose; Several gallons of pre-bottled water under my pantry; A bag of charcoal, sand, pebbles, paper and cloth to make filters for standing water; Aquatabs and Neutralizer in case I have to break into the creek water; A mini outdoor grill to boil water; Antimicrobial wet wipes and waterless hunter’s soap, shampoo, and conditioner; A bucket of cat litter, a bag of baking soda, and a folding shovel for waste disposal (always 400 + yards away from any water source;) Toilet paper and fast-food napkins; A whole collection of First Aid supplies for everything from little boo-boos to sucking chest wounds, plus training in First Aid, the Heimlich Maneuver, CPR, and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation; A regularly updated medicine chest of prescriptions and supplements; Everyday non-perishable provisions; Disposable paper plates and eating ware; Eight layers of op-sec between me and the outside world; Silent but deadly weaponry after all that is breached; And a translator app that can say “Nuts!” to any ransom-demanding State or Non-State actor in Russian, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, Persian, or dozens of other languages. All within easy reach of any American of any income. Uh, no, no ransom for Putin, Xi, Sulayman, or Khameini.

Well LOOK AT YOU!!!

Seriously, not everyone is going to be as prepared/paranoid as you. Just fuck ’em, or what?

_Robert_
    Participant

We have a Berkey water filter and a free flowing spring well. Also a private pond full of fish and a veggie garden. About 50 lbs. of beans and rice. An SKS and a brick of ammo. That’s is as ready for the zombies as we will ever be.

Let’s follow this story from El Salvador about its adoption of bitcoin as legal tender.  That should make for a stable economy!

jakelafort
    Participant

If El Salvador blazes a bitcoin trail will others follow? Sounds insane but so what?

Here is the horse racing article.

Campbell: Future Talk — Digital Horse Racing With ZED Run?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.