Your thoughts on so-called critical race theory

Homepage Forums Politics Your thoughts on so-called critical race theory

This topic contains 48 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Autumn 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Autumn
    Participant

Davis, All right, so where am I wrong on CRT?

A good start in criticizing critical race theory would be to criticize critical race theory. Crazy, I know. But that’s how I roll.

At present, you haven’t really made substantive claims against what it is. You’ve made claims against characterizations of it. You’ve made claims against things tangential to it. You’ve made claims in line with rhetoric against the twitter version of it. But I can’t quite see where you’ve addressed it directly let alone made any substantive arguments.

Unseen
    Participant

Davis, All right, so where am I wrong on CRT?

A good start in criticizing critical race theory would be to criticize critical race theory. Crazy, I know. But that’s how I roll. At present, you haven’t really made substantive claims against what it is. You’ve made claims against characterizations of it. You’ve made claims against things tangential to it. You’ve made claims in line with rhetoric against the twitter version of it. But I can’t quite see where you’ve addressed it directly let alone made any substantive arguments.

What she said. ^

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

The “third option” didn’t appeal to the Athenians because then the enemy could get a second bite at the apple of warring against Athens. That was their logic, like it or don’t.

Naturally, you release the P.O.W.s after you’ve defeated your enemy and you’ve kicked the tires and looked under the hood of the peace offering.

That’s another shortcoming of Religion, Philosophy, and Political Theory: Not enough life-hacks.

Unseen
    Participant

Naturally, you release the P.O.W.s after you’ve defeated your enemy and you’ve kicked the tires and looked under the hood of the peace offering.

I’m sure the WWII German military included soldiers who participated in WWI. I can think of one very famous one in particular. Had he been a prisoner of Athens, there’s a good chance there wouldn’t have been a WWII.

Davis

That’s another shortcoming of Religion, Philosophy, and Political Theory: Not enough life-hacks.

Yeah. Political theory only led up to many of the rights and freedoms we enjoy everyday. But that pales in comparison with political theory’s terrible lack of life hacks: like how to keep a bag of rice properly closed or the best method for keeping your shoes odour free. It is scandalous that universities get all this money but contribute so little to the creation of youtube videos that show ingenious and cheap ways to keep your house in order.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Davis.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

I’m sure the WWII German military included soldiers who participated in WWI. I can think of one very famous one in particular.

That famous “You Know Who Else…” was a Chancellor then Dictator during World War II, not an active military fighter.  It’s not like he was on the scene of the front lines running over France or seiging Stalingrad.

Had he been a prisoner of Athens, there’s a good chance there wouldn’t have been a WWII.

Well of course not.  If he was a P.O.W. in ancient Athens, he’d have been dead by WWII. 😁

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Robert,

Exactly.   A person’s chosen pelt and actual behavior and demeanor  matters much more than their birth pelt and an assumed behavior and demeanor.

A well-fitted work uniform or a business suit and a thoughtful way of speaking commands more respect and makes fewer false impressions than sagging pants showing droopy drawers or “tramp stamps” and slurred speech that curses and demeans everyone around.  And all this holds true regardless of the person’s conditions of birth.

It’s “the content of character” not “the color of skin” that matters.  “Critical Race Theory,” however, says just the opposite.

Unseen
    Participant

Unseen,

I’m sure the WWII German military included soldiers who participated in WWI. I can think of one very famous one in particular.

That famous “You Know Who Else…” was a Chancellor then Dictator during World War II, not an active military fighter. It’s not like he was on the scene of the front lines running over France or seiging Stalingrad.

Had he been a prisoner of Athens, there’s a good chance there wouldn’t have been a WWII.

Well of course not. If he was a P.O.W. in ancient Athens, he’d have been dead by WWII. 😁

Hitler was the head soldier of Germany in WWII and very eligible for capture and being held prisoner had it been manageable.

As for your second reply… Yeah, I remember how college freshman argue over their first beers, too.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

On a more serious note, I contend that, whenever and wherever possible, it is best to keep enemies alive, miserable, and distant.

(I say “distant” for self-preservation, “miserable” for spite, and “alive” so you have an alibi when the inevitable shuffling off the mortal coil happens.)

So, of all options, sending P.O.Ws back after a war is over is the best option.

The U.S. actually did have German P.O.W.s on the mainland doing work during World War II.  The P.O.W.s liked doing such things as laying roofing tiles on top of houses in the shape of the Häkenkreutz (literally translated “Twisted Cross,” the German term for “Swastika.”)

This was obviously not a good look for morale during wartime and there’s no telling what other sabotage would be possible with P.O.W.s on the home front used as slave labor.

The mere thought of having someone else’s life in your hands is always a perilsome one.  Civilized people finally understood that.  The rest will have to come along too.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Davis,

Well, Kant was famous for his daily constitutionals.  He could have done some real good for the world by passing on how to warm up, how to pace yourself, and how to avoid a painful cracked plantar fascia.  (The last insight would have done me better years ago than a nebulous Categorical Emperative.  Fortunately, the cracked plantar fascia healed itself, but avoiding it would have been optimal.)

Davis

Nebulous Categorical Emperative (sic)

The categorical imperative in practice, is the absolute opposite of nebulous. I simply don’t see anything remotely fuzzy about forming a moral law and never breaking it. Enco…honestly, do you ever read up on or learn about any of the stuff you seem to dislike? Honestly, don’t you think it would be helpful to know, even just once in a while, even the bare facts (unfiltered) about some of the shit you trash talk?

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Davis.

jakelafort
    Participant

I saw the e. E is not close to I on the keyboard. It is not the first time i had a strong suspicion that Enco is not first hand familiar with his bugaboos. Regurgitation is unworthy of you.

Enco how about living some of the ideas you espouse? As it stands you are religious without being religious.

Unseen
    Participant

Unseen, On a more serious note, I contend that, whenever and wherever possible, it is best to keep enemies alive, miserable, and distant.

(I say “distant” for self-preservation, “miserable” for spite, and “alive” so you have an alibi when the inevitable shuffling off the mortal coil happens.)

So, of all options, sending P.O.Ws back after a war is over is the best option.

When is a war really over, E? Did the Persians sue for peace? The Spartans? Nowadays, we sign peace treaties. The Germans ended WWI with a peace treaty. Did they honor it?

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Unseen.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

Actually the First World War had an Armistice, not a peace treaty.

Some contend, on that basis, that WWI officially never ended, even though the powers of Austria-Hungary, the Germany of the Kaisers, and The Ottoman Empire no longer exist.  Weird, I know.

Of course, Recip Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey is waving the schimtar like he wants The Ottoman Empire to make a comeback, so maybe things will heat up yet again and we’ll be singing “Over There, Over There” in autotune with an electronic marching band.  Damn, I hope not.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Addendum and correction for brevity

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

To get back to the original topic of the thread, (I wasn’t avoiding it, just called off by another thought-provoking topic,) if people all over the nation and now world are outraged at “Critical Race Theory” whether out of misunderstanding or because they understand it all-too-well, the common denominator is both “Critical Race Theory” and it’s proponents.

If “Critical Race Theory” is misunderstood, it is the job of the proponents to make it understood.  And since the controversy came up in the context of schools, yes, contrary to the cliche of SJWs, it is the job of teachers to educate and make themselves clear.

But if “Critical Race Theory” is as I understand it, then it is a real problem and the proponents are still the source.

“Critical Race Theory” is a problem because it makes everything about “race” and “race” should not be a consideration in any rational human endeavor, not education, not thought, not science, not culture, not business, not non-profit endeavors, not everyday human relations, not government or laws, nothing.

I’m not part of the crowd who says “There Oughtta Be A Law…”  People who want access to the ideas of “Critical Race Theory” should have access to them or any other idea, no matter how ridiculous it may be.

But, just as we don’t teach “Creationism” in a biology class, just as we do not teach Astrology, Flat-Earthism, or Geocentrism in an Astronomy or Earth Sciences Class, just as we don’t teach Alchemy or Phlogiston in Chemistry, just as we don’t teach Home Economic students to run personal budgets like Congress runs the U.S. National Budget, just was we don’t teach Perpetual Motion in shop class, just as the School Nurse doesn’t practice Accupincture, Chiropracic, Faith-Healing, or Voodoo, so also a school is not and should never be order along any idea that makes “race” central, including “Critical Race Theory.”

Everyone in a school, from the custodian to the principal to all teachers and students in between is an individual, not a member of some racial or tribal beehive collective.  All thoughts, words and deeds are chosen by and belong to individuals and individuals should to be judged by those exclusively, not by immutable traits of birth.  Everyone should advance, achieve, pass, fail, live, or die, as individuals.

If school authorities and personnel insist on acting otherwise, anyone with children needs to pull their children out of that institution and taxpayers need to call for ouster of those officials.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.