Sunday School

Sunday School 20th February 2022

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Thursday was a busy day for the Federal Courts.

Americans support religious freedom — as long as it’s convenient for everyone.

Bill Donohue, the head of the Catholic League (who once said this), has decided to not give any of his money to the poor.

It is now the turn of Portugal to deal with the abuse of its children by Catholic priests.

Slovakians are rapidly becoming more atheistic.

I am going to enjoy listening to the theologians argue this case.

This is a pathetic attempt at arguing for the Christian God.

Catholics combat Satan with the sweet aroma of Christ.

Janet Folger Porter is going to save Ohio.

World of Woo: Tarot Cards.

Environment: We’re all radioactive – so let’s stop being afraid of it.

Anti-evolution laws and the future of vaccines.

On arguing the valuelessness of religion.

A site you might like to bookmark.

Long Reads: Great, the Big Quit has hit pastors too. What the routine of war brings to Happiness. The Tribal threat to Liberal Democracy.

Sunday Book Club: Notes from Deep Time: A Journey Through Our Past and Future Worlds.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video: Meandering around inside my head.

Have a great week everyone!

Strega

Thanks, Reg!!!!

Unseen
    Participant

Regarding the misbaptism story, apparently the Catholic deity is a strict literalist for whom intent means little or nothing.

All those people who got misbaptized and have since passed on. Imagine their disappointment when, instead of arriving at a pearly gate they found themselves instead treading lava in a sea of eternal hellfire.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Unseen.

Unseen
    Participant

Regarding Tarot cards. I collect Tarot decks. I don’t believe any of the spiritualistic bullshit surrounding them, HOWEVER modern Tarot decks are done by highly talented graphic artists. For example,…

Unseen
    Participant

Here’s another Tarot deck, the Santa Muerta deck:

Autumn
    Participant

I have a couple of Tarot decks for the same reason.

I do find many ‘spiritual*’, mystical, arcane (whatever word one wants to use) practices have some value in the right perspective. Tarot may not reveal any hidden secrets on its own, but the cards can be used as an intuitive approach to meditating on your past, present, and future. As someone who is over analytical and prone to neurotic thought patterns, at times I’ve found drawing a few cards and just writing down what comes to mind in association has been a useful way to get me out of my headspace.

I find with many practices most of us would deem ‘woo’, there is a hazy line between elements that are (in moderation) productive for human psychology/ intuitive emotional processing, and basically just running away from reality into fantasy.

*used the word ‘spiritual’ because I know it’s y’all’s favourite word.

Unseen
    Participant

I own somewhere around 8 or 10 decks and some of the cards are so gorgeous, I wish they were all available poster size. Santa Muerta (Holy or Sacred Death) is a real “thing” in Mexico. and it turns out there are Santa Muerta posters and/or wall coverings available on Amazon. I think I recognize some of them from the Santa Muerta Tarot deck.

I like all that artwork. I have done Tarot readings and Astrology predictions for people who believed every word I said. It was easier than I thought it would be once I got friends to put the word out that I “really had a grift gift for it”.

Afterwards when I told people I was only doing an experiment, I got mixed reactions. Some accused me of manipulation while about 40% said I should keep it going because I “really do a a gift for it”. Nobody was charged any fee which only enhanced the idea that I must be genuine.

This is not the first time this has happened in the Catholic Church. I am trying to locate an article I wrote about a previous instance. I am surprised that the Creator of the Universe had not intervened early on to prevent this. Even if they all get re-sprinkled they will still have to confess all their sins again. All of them! I hope they kept a list. I have advised Catholics in the past to keep a written account of them and tick the ones they got forgiven. It would be very useful for them now. I don’t want them to miss out on billions of years living with only other Catholics. I must away and find a theologian to discuss this with. It is much more than a mere ecumenical matter!

Unseen
    Participant

I like all that artwork. I have done Tarot readings and Astrology predictions for people who believed every word I said. It was easier than I thought it would be once I got friends to put the word out that I “really had a grift gift for it”. Afterwards when I told people I was only doing an experiment, I got mixed reactions. Some accused me of manipulation while about 40% said I should keep it going because I “really do a a gift for it”. Nobody was charged any fee which only enhanced the idea that I must be genuine.

The tarot-reading community needs a licensing system of some sort because the cards do have meanings, sometimes only obliquely relating to the imagery of the card.

A reading typically begins with an interview of some sort, if only to determine what brings the subject to the reading, which the reader then uses as a guide to interpreting the cards.

Even so, while the reader throws out the common interpretations of the cards, the actual interpretation is typically (and slyly) left to the subject. No “professional” reader goes way out on a limb and declares “Your partner is cheating on you” or “Someone dear to you will suffer a tragedy in the next few days.”

The general public has a tendency to misread the cards which is why the reader is needed.

The Death card is one of the better examples. If the Death card turns up in a reading, it does not mean that you or a loved one is doomed. Rather, it can mean that something is coming to an end, that you are heading in a different direction or are undergoing a fundamental change in your life.

The Hanged Man probably comes in second in terms of being misunderstood. He’s typically represented as hanging by one foot. This can signify a pause, a surrender, a letting go.

Then there’s The Tower, typically depicted as on fire or crumbling. This can mean an upheaval, chaos, an awakening, or revelation.

And of course these cards have somewhat opposing meanings if they are dealt upside down.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.