Sunday School

Sunday School 6th June 2021

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  TheEncogitationer 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Creationist and Liar for Jesus Kent Hovind sues the U.S. government for more than half a billion dollars.

Is it a sign of his God’s judgement that Rick Wiles got Covid? (Rick is spelled with a silent “P”).

In Nigeria, followers of the Religion of Peace continue their campaign of hatred and violence towards those unable to believe in their imaginary God.

Who would win in a bar fight; Superman or Jesus?

A deluge of safety concerns has kept the second replica ark from sailing.

During the Covid pandemic religion may have helped protect the mental health of theists but it also allowed more people to die.

World of Woo: Anti-vaxxers and social media profits.

Environment: The damage caused by the ship sinking off the coast of Sri Lanka.

I am amused when people seem shocked that I don’t bother with any social media.

Dunning-Kruger meets fake news.

Is consciousness more than just the output of brains?

In defense of the universal values of Science by Lawrence Krauss.

Why most of us dislike hearing our own voice.

What does the universe expand into?

Science should be at the center of all policy making.

New evidence points to a much earlier arrival time of Humans into North America.

The entire Human Genome has now been fully sequenced.

Humans aren’t overpopulated. We’re aging and shrinking. (see video below too).

Long Reads: Michael Shermer on understanding the unidentified. What we lose when we work from home.

Who was Faye Schulman who died recently?

This week I will order this book: Secular Surge: A new fault line in American Politics.

Some photographs taken last week. Some pictures sent from Mars.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Podcast: The future of medicine.

Coffee Break Video:  Hans Rosling discusses population. Being 97 years old has been an interesting experience, said the philosopher.

Have a great week everyone!

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

Unseen
    Participant

I’ve always wondered about Mighty Mouse vs. Batman or Rocky the Flying Squirrel vs. The Hulk.

Unseen
    Participant

Consciousness, to my mind, is properly understood as an epiphenomenon of the brain. Like a rainbow, it happens given sufficient conditions, in the case of consciousness, in a brain. I grant I may be proven wrong someday, but I doubt we’ll ever get much further than that.

Ironically (distressingly?), similar sufficiencies may end up being possible artificially, which would mean, for example, that a machine might be conscious.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  Unseen.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  Unseen.

I don’t call them cyber-criminals or hackers. They are terrorists. They should be hunted down like terrorists. If it means launching a tactical drone strike on a house in eastern Europe then do it. Damaging the industrial and commercial systems of another country is potentially an act of war. Holding the databases of the national health service to ransom by encrypting them means a curtailment of crucial operations and in turn some people will die. This is an act of war if it is state sponsored. All bitcoin transactions over $10K need to be declared and any bank not doing so should be charged with assisting terrorism.

We can talk about putting in more secure networks and locking down ports on firewalls but that is a different discussion as it almost victim blaming.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Fellow Unbelievers,

Kindest and highest thoughts on this D-Day for all those on this day in 1944 who fought, bled, and died on the shores of Normandy and beyond.  .

They did all this so that the tyranny of Nazi Totalitarianism could be first routed then driven back until it no longer occupied a square inch of dirt on the face of the Earth and still doesn’t to this day!

All the way, Airbourne!  Anchors Aweigh!  Tip of the Wing!  And Semper Fi!  Hoo-Ah!

TheEncogitationer
    Participant
    Reg,

I don’t call them cyber-criminals or hackers. They are terrorists. They should be hunted down like terrorists. If it means launching a tactical drone strike on a house in eastern Europe then do it. Damaging the industrial and commercial systems of another country is potentially an act of war. Holding the databases of the national health service to ransom by encrypting them means a curtailment of crucial operations and in turn some people will die. This is an act of war if it is state sponsored. All bitcoin transactions over $10K need to be declared and any bank not doing so should be charged with assisting terrorism.

We can talk about putting in more secure networks and locking down ports on firewalls but that is a different discussion as it almost victim blaming.

I am fully 100 percent behind getting the terrorists responsible for the Colonial Pipeline shutdown.  Although I personally wasn’t badly inconvenienced by the gas lines, emergency vehicles can be and that definitely can cost lives. One thing to be cautious of in cracking down on terrorists, however, is curtailing the civil liberties of the innocent in so doing.

Terrorists ultimately want to scare individuals into giving up their freedom and changing how individuals in a free society operate in their daily lives and draconian police-state measures are exactly how that happen.

Arrests, searches, and seizures related to terrorism should always be based on probable cause, not on mere suspicion.  And while terrorists can use encryption and blockchain technology, these also can be used to protect civilians and law enforcement from vulerability to cyberattack and thus, we should never turn our society into a fishbowl or we open ourselves up even more to terrorism.

Pro tip: Multiple competing sources for providing needs, including health care, means that cyberhacking terrorists have a much harder time holding a whole nation to ransom.

Another pro tip: Finding, practicing, and passing on better ways of doing things is not “victim-blaming,” but instead, these are ways of transforming would-be victims into victors.

Teaching and practicing self-defense and security methods does not mean blaming victims of crime or terrorism, any more than teaching and practicing gardening, hunting, fishing, cooking, and food preservation  is “victim-blaming” the hungry, or teaching and practicing job skills, saving, and investing are “victim-blaming” the poor.

These are simply ways that rational people deal with irrational thugs.  And it is how rational people deal with a Natural Universe which, while open to thought and effort, doesn’t live, feel, think or care who lives or dies.

If humans are to live and do well, they have to exert the care, thought, and effort necessary to do so.  When they do, that is when they win the game of life.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg and Fellow Unbelievers,

If you derive inspiration from the story of Faye Schulman, there are six movies out there that you will absolutely treasure.  They need to be in a six-pack boxed set for all who still use DVDs and the set should be called:

Chutzpah!: Nice Little Jewish Boys and Girls (And Friends) Fight Back, Vie For Justice, And Make Good!

Here are the movies in my preferred order of viewing in acsending levels of triumph, although any order is fine:

Escape From Sobibor–Starring Alan Arkin, Harmut Becker, Rutger Hauer, Joanna Pacula, Jack Shepherd, Narrated by Howard K. Smith, this 1987 movie recounts the true story of an armed uprising and mass escape from the death camp of Sobibor in Poland.  (There was also a 2018 Russian film called Sobibor, but it is in Russian layered over German, so it’s hard to follow without closed captioning.)

Uprising— Starring Hank Azaria, Leelee Sobeiski, David Schwimmer (yes, Ross from Friends,) Donald Sutherland, and Jon Voight, this 2001 NBC television mini-series recounts the 1943 Warsaw Ghetto uprising.  The film footage of the woman on the building spire alone is worth watching.

Defiance— Starring Jamie Bell, Daniel Craig, George McCay, and Liev Schreiber, this is a partial recounting of the heroism of the Brothers Bielski, who saved the lives of thousands of Jews, recruited and trained them into the ways of Partisan resistance, and set up a hidden village of Parisan fighters in the woods of Belarus.

The Stranger— Starring Edward G. Robinson, Orson Welles, and Loretta Young, this 1946 film is about an FBI Agent John Wilson pursuing Nazi War Criminal Franz Kindler, who was the engineering mastermind of the Holocaust, who has assumed a new identity, infiltrated a small Connecticut town, and is about to marry the daughter of a U.S. Supreme Court Judge.  Though fiction, the character Franz Kindler was based on Hans Kammler, a Nazi architect of concentation camps who went missing after World War II.

Judgement In Nuremberg— Starring  Marlene Dietrich, Judy Garland, Werner Klemperer, Burt Lancaster, Maximilian Schell, William Shatner (in his first role as an Army Captain,) Spencer Tracy, and Richard Widmark , this 1961 movie is a fictionalized version of the Judge’s Trials of 1947, before The Nuremberg War Crimes Tribunal.  Lots of quotable, profound lines from this movie that ring true and hit home to this day.

and the Finale:

God on Trial— Starring Dominic Cooper, Ruper Graves, Eddie Marson, Jack Shepherd, Anthony Sher, and Stelan Skarsgärd, this 2008 movie recounts the inmates of Auschwitz-Birkinau who set up a tribunal to try none other than JHVH-1 His-Own-Self.  It was based on an incident witness by Holocaust Survivor and Author -Activist Elie Wiesel.  Though the single charge, in my view, was much too light, (God was only charged with Breach of Covenant,) the testimony against him was utterly ruthless and damning, even by the defense!  The verdict is obvious, but how they got there is where you have to wait and see.

Zachor (Hebrew for “Remember.”)

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Spacing, spelling and splicing

@theencogitationer – Thanks for those selections. I have only seen Defiance (twice).

Have you seen Life is Beautiful? I think it is a great movie.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

I’ve heard the title, but haven’t seen it.  Since you recommend it, I’ll have to check it out sometime.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.