Sunday School

Sunday School April 12th 2020

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  PopeBeanie 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I have often noted that keeping believers away from their cults for 3 or 4 weeks can greatly help to rid them of the delusion. It is because they have the time to think for themselves without the echo chamber noise of group-think. Over time groups tend to become polarized and only confirm each other’s biases rather than investigating the reasons for having any doubts. Hopefully during self-isolation thousands of theists will cure themselves of their religious virus and we can improve on these figures.

With coronavirus infections linked to religious gatherings, debate rages over worship amid pandemic. This Christian has no concerns for her neighbors because she is covered in the blood of imaginary Jesus. Conman Kenneth Copeland has summoned God to fart the virus away while Liar for Jesus Franklin Graham sees it as a punishment from his God. (The virus that is, not the farts). Some churches will do anything to keep an audience. Some Christians are even suing to be allowed to increase infection rates.

How do the vain Evangelical missionaries justify risking human life in Brazil during a pandemic?

The unjust suffering of thousands of children abused by the Catholic Church reminds The Cuddly One of the suffering of Jesus. I wonder if George Pell will now keep the books for La Luz Del Mundo? If Bernard McGarty joins they could have their own little Trinity.

Is it wrong for the government to send stimulus money directly to churches?

Little Sisters’ Supreme Court case could grant religious groups carte blanche to ignore the Law.

Survey finds lack of knowledge about religions’ figureheads.

This weeks’ Woo: 5G networks and the immune system.

Climate Crisis News: Newly engineered enzyme can break down plastic to raw materials.

The 19th century roots of modern Medical Denialism. Doing battle with cognitive dissonance.

Where do new genes come from?

The Universe might not be expanding at the same rate in all directions. Does Time really flow? Experiment finds that gravity still works down to 50 micrometres.

On a unified theory of evolution.

On minds when not encumbered by analytical thought.

Would you stand up to an oppressive regime or would you conform?

Long Reads: The Terri Schiavo case. A family cut off for 40 years in the Russian wilderness. A ‘Liberty’ Rebellion in Idaho. Seven reflections on isolation.

This week I am reading this book: Deaths of Despair and the Future of Capitalism. (more).

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil…..

Coffee Break Video: The physics that suggests we have no free will. Richard Dawkins & Daniel Dennett in conversation at Oxford. And for Easter I hope you enjoy, Weekend at Jesus’s.

Have a great week everyone!

I know some people might be offended by the “Weekend at Jesus’s” video  when they realize that Jesus, at 6:30, confuses a simile for a metaphor. For that I am truly sorry.

@jakelafort.

Giving your proven command of written English l am happy that “Exaptation” has added to it. Its usage may have a certain patavinity in academic circles and in debate it may even sound like an obfuscation to outsiders and lead to accusations of ultracrepidarianism. It can pay dividends to not become lexiphanic when discussing Evolution as one can stand accused of sesquipedalianism by those that suffer from hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia . Please don’t consider any of this information as floccinaucinihilipilification.  I think I am turning into an epistemophiliac or logomaniac but that it OK when dealing with those peaky knipperdollings*

* an archaic word for a religious fanatic.

Oh how long is this lock down going to last anyway??

onyangomakagutu
    Participant

I hope it ends sooner.

Jody Lee
    Participant

“Religions are patriarchal circle jerks.” 🤣🤣

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Jody Lee.

@jody – I agree. I am going to build a new clothes line in the back garden after watching that. 🙂

_Robert_
    Participant

“Religions are patriarchal circle jerks.” 🤣🤣

Agreed. Even though it seems like women (in general) are more religious than men. Probably helps with the kids or maybe because Jesus is hot !

_Robert_
    Participant

This bug reveals religion for what it is, nonsense.

Viruses come from domesticated or caged animals. This is why Native Americans succumbed to European diseases and not vice-versa. North America did not have animals suitable for domestication nor did they have pandemics before Europeans ‘conquered’ them. Bison, wolf, moose or bears will not cooperate with people.

Jody Lee
    Participant

@robert… I would guess that the gender gap varies according to each religion.

_Robert_
    Participant

@robert… I would guess that the gender gap varies according to each religion.

Yeah, I guess so…This would pretty much end all the worship..and the best part is if they object they are fat shaming

PopeBeanie

Well I just spent a good portion of it looking up words. I only knew two of them! And that was only because I learned enough Latin and Greek in a medical terminology class to make good guesses.

PopeBeanie

Around when Sarah Palin was running for VP with McCain and pushing the idea that Obama would create Death Panels that would decide who should live or die as a result of his promised health care reforms, I made a bumper sticker: Palin/Schiavo 2008.

Waitasec, @regthefronkeyfarmer, that Schiavo link goes to a Paula White article.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.