Sunday School

Sunday School June 21st 2020

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Reg the Fronkey Farmer 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Let’s start with tackling a potentially serious problem that’s been bugging me all week. If we have the DNA of Jesus could we recreate an army of identical babies? If we make enough of them, we could all have a personal relationship with our very own Jesus.

Gender differences are evident when it comes to Church support for COVID-19 restrictions. In Oregon the largest outbreak is from a Church that ignored restrictions.

Does it matter if we call them Evangelicals or Christian Nationalists? Just how Christian are they if they continue to accept illegal and secretive bailout bribes from the Trump Administration?

In Britain atheists have the lowest mortality rates from COVID-19. I suspect the main reason for this is that they heed Scientific advice.

More children than ever are being taught the facts about Evolution without the interference of any ridiculous religious beliefs. However some Christian schools are spending millions of taxpayer dollars on attempts to destroy the minds of teenagers. Exploring ‘Other Ways of Knowing’: The new religious threat to Science Education.

Trump’s Bible photo op caused an immediate drop in support.

Franklin Graham recently gave a perfect example of how Christians think that “allowing” one group of citizens to have equal rights is a denial of their rights. It is religious privilege masquerading as religious freedom. Yes, pious Jesus worshipers are the real victims here.

This weeks’ Woo: Homeopathy is such pathetic nonsense.

Climate Crisis: Coronavirus exposed the fragility in our food system.

Happy Summer Solstice! We humans have been celebrating it for a long time.

If I can’t have my own personal baby Jesus then I will settle for an Irish King God!!

36 Alien Civilizations in The Milky Way? The Science behind a ridiculous headline. (see also first “long reads” article below).

It was World Refugee Day last week. Next time you want to buy a gift online make a point of looking here for something different. Juneteenth had its anniversary this week.

Would it matter if we discovered we were living in a computer simulation?

We pause to remember Sarah Hegazi.

“Where knowledge is a duty, ignorance is a crime,” Thomas Paine insisted.

Long Reads: My dad launched the quest to find alien intelligence. The Confederate Ghost that still whispers to Evangelicals. Forensic genealogy: how police are using family trees to solve cold cases.

What, you can’t get hold of Buffy? Then we better call Ava, the Warrior Nun!

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video: Why I left an Evangelical cult. Zain in Norway and the first time he saw a deer alone on the street. Is Freedom of Speech harmful for college students?

Have a great week everyone!

As it was World Refugee Day yesterday, I will re-post a poem by Warsan Shire that I first posted 5 years ago:

no one leaves home unless
    home is the mouth of a shark
    you only run for the border
    when you see the whole city running as well

your neighbors running faster than you
    breath bloody in their throats
    the boy you went to school with
    who kissed you dizzy behind the old tin factory
    is holding a gun bigger than his body
    you only leave home
    when home won’t let you stay.

no one leaves home unless home chases you
    fire under feet
    hot blood in your belly
    it’s not something you ever thought of doing
    until the blade burnt threats into
    your neck
    and even then you carried the anthem under
    your breath
    only tearing up your passport in an airport toilets
    sobbing as each mouthful of paper
    made it clear that you wouldn’t be going back.

you have to understand,
    that no one puts their children in a boat
    unless the water is safer than the land
    no one burns their palms
    under trains
    beneath carriages
    no one spends days and nights in the stomach of a truck
    feeding on newspaper unless the miles travelled
    means something more than journey.
    no one crawls under fences
    no one wants to be beaten
    pitied

no one chooses refugee camps
    or strip searches where your
    body is left aching
    or prison,
    because prison is safer
    than a city of fire
    and one prison guard
    in the night
    is better than a truckload
    of men who look like your father
    no one could take it
    no one could stomach it
    no one skin would be tough enough

the
    go home blacks
    refugees
    dirty immigrants
    asylum seekers
    sucking our country dry
    niggers with their hands out
    they smell strange
    savage
    messed up their country and now they want
    to mess ours up
    how do the words
    the dirty looks
    roll off your backs
    maybe because the blow is softer
    than a limb torn off

or the words are more tender
    than fourteen men between
    your legs
    or the insults are easier
    to swallow
    than rubble
    than bone
    than your child body
    in pieces.
    i want to go home,
    but home is the mouth of a shark
    home is the barrel of the gun
    and no one would leave home
    unless home chased you to the shore
    unless home told you
    to quicken your legs
    leave your clothes behind
    crawl through the desert
    wade through the oceans
    drown
    save
    be hunger
    beg
    forget pride
    your survival is more important

no one leaves home until home is a sweaty voice in your ear
    saying-
    leave,
    run away from me now
    i dont know what i’ve become
    but i know that anywhere
    is safer than here.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

_Robert_
    Participant

In Britain atheists have the lowest mortality rates from COVID-19. I suspect the main reason for this is that they heed Scientific advice.

I was in no less than 4 rock bands, averaging about 1 gig per week. Plenty of time for that, being retired. When I learned the virus had reached our area around mid March, I informed band leaders I am quitting effective immediately because I  have mild COPD (I jog everyday to keep pneumonia away). They had no idea what I was talking about. Band practice is typically a 3 hour session in a sealed 10’x10′ room with a huffing drummer and spewing vocalists. Gigs have the band sometimes closely surrounded by heavy breathing drunk bar patrons. Sure, I miss it and they all hate me  but their emotion-based thoughts find no purchase with a rational atheist, LOL.

Yeah, I understand that. I was recently asked by a Christian client (a Zoom call) if I felt I had overreacted to the “whole virus thing” and wondered “now that we have beaten the pandemic” why I was not making more regular site visits yet!!

By “overreacting” he was referring to my face mask and gloves which are mandatory when visiting the business he works for.  Thinking he was being smart he asked if I was a fan of the CSI shows.

Yes, I am all for Common Sense Initiatives.

Unseen
    Participant

Yeah, I understand that. I was recently asked by a Christian client (a Zoom call) if I felt I had overreacted to the “whole virus thing” and wondered “now that we have beaten the pandemic” why I was not making more regular site visits yet!!

I had to remind myself that you’re not here in the United States where we’re still in the so-called First Wave with hot spots cropping up mostly in the so-called “red” (Republican) parts of the country, where many actually believe Trump’s lies.

Just before flights to the US were stopped, I was considering moving to Florida for 3 months as lockdown was already in place in Ireland. I can work remotely from there without my clients even knowing I am away. I have done so in the past but I think I am glad it all got locked down the day before I booked my ticket.  Oklahoma is doing bigly on the testing!! Good to know Mike Pence is in charge.

‘Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.’

In 1918 an influenza pandemic hit San Francisco with about 45,000 infections and 3,000 deaths. Doctors at the time recommended that people should wear masks. However, a new movement sprang up called the Anti-Mask League. They saw it as unconstitutional and against the principles of individual freedom. Conspiracy theories about population control and profiteering by the mask manufacturers were rife. Read more here.

I think the reason President Trump did not want to be seen wearing one in public is because it might make him look vulnerable. He should lead by example but then again it is clear that he does not care about anything but his image.

“I had one on before. I wore one in the back area. I didn’t want to give the press the pleasure of seeing it”.

He said that at the Ford plant in Michigan.

I recently saw a photo of a protest where one sign read “Masks are for criminals”. The sign holder was wearing a t-shirt with the Batman logo on it 🙂

_Robert_
    Participant

Trump does not look like the picture of health either. He might have a very bad time if he gets a whiff of that bug. The British PM almost made the ultimate ‘Brexit’ himself.

In time we shall see if the Trump rally(s) become spreader events. Perhaps then he will get the picture.

_Robert_
    Participant

Yes, in Arizona you could be ejected from a Target store for not wearing a mask but walk across the road to a Trump gig and cheer your potential executioner all evening.  His rallies ARE super spreader events. He will have to ask Mike Pence to stop the testing or the numbers will keep going up.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.