Sunday School

Sunday School June 26th 2022

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Gallup: Belief in God in America.

Catholics in Malta were prepared to allow another grieving mother die. However, she has since been airlifted to Spain. Catholics in Poland are happy to allow women to die and now pills have become the new battleground. Ireland still has legacy issues with Catholic power but women now have rights over their own bodies. Mongolia has made vast improvements over the last 20 years in reproductive health, including abortion services which have greatly improved women’s lives. If you know of any countries where a foreign State such as the Vatican exerts a misogynistic influence on the health of its citizens, let me know because women will be left to die there too.

The hypocrisy of Christian ‘religious freedom’ rhetoric post-Roe. Is gay marriage next after Roe?

The Cuddly One still says no sex before marriage, even after doing the household chores together. I won’t look forward to leaving the bins out any more.

SCOTUS has had a busy week. Maine has just been forced to fund religious education. It turns out that the separation of church and state—a principle enshrined in the Constitution—is, itself, unconstitutional.

Humanists in Nigeria are hoping to find some tolerant and peaceful Muslims among their bigoted and hate filled violent ranks.

When will African Churches apologize for witch persecutions?

How humanism helped me let go of God.

World of Woo: How extremism quietly flourishes on YouTube.

Environment: Airport whining proves it: we’re spoiled, and we aren’t ready for what’s coming.

Lesson for today: The Eliza Effect. (See also long read post below)

Japan Is submerging an enormous turbine in the ocean to produce “Endless” clean energy.

Why a meaningful life is impossible without suffering.

Rare opportunity to see 5 planets in the sky at once with the naked eye.

The first-ever quantum computer circuit has been created.

Why do most humans die around the age of 80. I stood on one leg while reading that.

Long Reads: We must restore our democracy so that a radical minority can no longer drown out the will of the people. Do we need a better understanding of ‘progress‘? How will we know when an AI actually becomes sentient? The anti-abortion movement has a long history of violence. The First Authoritarian – Karl Popper’s Plato.

Sunday Book Club: The Seeds of Life.

Podcast: Sam Harris – American Division.

Some photographs taken last week.  A polar bear says “Hello” to us.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video:  Life Is Precious . . . Unless It’s Not.

Have a great week everyone!

Strega

Thanks, Reg!!

I have a little gem for you from a Quorean (Jon Jermy) responding to a question on how atheists feel about whether their consciousness continues after their death.

My ‘consciousness’ is not an object, or a type of person. It’s a process — specifically the combination of certain physical processes going on in my brain and the rest of my body. When these stop, my consciousness will cease, like a fire going out when it runs out of wood to burn, or a car engine stopping because the ignition is turned off.

It makes no more sense to talk about your consciousness ‘going’ somewhere after you die than it does to talk about your digestion going somewhere, and continuing to turn mystic invisible food into mystic invisible excreta while it waits patiently to occupy a new gastrointestinal tract.”

Fantastic

Thanks Strega, that is a lot more eloquent that one of my replies, depending on who I am addressing.

A theist. What do you think happens after you die?

Me: Shortly after I croak, I will probably piss and shit myself a little and that is before I really start to get that bad bacterial smell going on. Just like we all will. It’s the last thing we all do! But I won’t be aware of this because my consciousness will have shut down before this happens.

Sometimes I might say “The reason people think their consciousness might survive death is because of the concept of the duality of mind and body. Some people still think that the mind exists independently to the physical brain. For years it was assumed that humans have souls that are independent of the body. But this is just redundant religious waffle. We do not have souls. We are just “a body”. The brain is just another organ in that body and the mind is a manifestation of what the brain does”.

It is easy to understand that our breath is the output of our lungs. Similarly our consciousness is the output of our brain. Asking where our consciousness goes after we die is like asking where our breath goes when we die. Nowhere….both organs shut down and production ceases.

…or something like that…

Strega

I see a fair amount of repudiation of post-life life as I surf, although I must admit the digestive tract analogy was refreshingly new to me.

I also have a favourite response to the question.

Theist:- “what happens after you die?”

Me: “Either we are totally extinguished, OR we all go to heaven because God is loving and forgiving so obviously he forgives everyone for whatever they’ve done, and we all float up to happiness. Oh yeah, and there’s no hell because there’s no need for one since everyone gets forgiven. “

Can you believe this response gets theists so riled up?  You’d think they would want joy for everyone …but apparently not.

It’s hilarious to hear a theist try to refute the loving and forgiving nature of their god – it’s like a gridlock in their thought processes and their eyes go a bit wild.

You should try it!

@- It’s hilarious to hear a theist try to refute the loving and forgiving nature of their god – it’s like a gridlock in their thought processes and their eyes go a bit wild.

You should try it!

I have been doing that for years 😊 Cognitive Dissonance Rocks!!

I also ask them how happy they are knowing that they will spend eternity with Muslims as you both believe in the same God. (Then I sit back and wait…)

When theists tell me that they will go to Heaven when they die, I will tell them that they are wrong.

No, you will stay dead until the Day of Judgement. Then you will have to wait your turn to be judged. It could mean that you remain dead for a centuries before you get resurrected. If you disagree, could you tell me where in your Bible it says this?  Depending on whether they know of the verse in Luke 23:43 will decide my next question.

Unseen
    Participant

A short poem on death:

When I am gone, I’m gone for good.
    Mourn me not more than a day.
    Go on your way, I think you should.
    You’ll catch up with me someday.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Unseen.

Unseen
    Participant

A grace to say before a family meal:

God is great. God is swell.
    We all must thank him
    or it’s off to Hell.

Before the meal….

May Allah be praised

So that my belly be raised

Between the chair and table

Afterwards…

May Allah be damned

For my belly is jammed

Between the chair and table.

I heard this when I was 7, on Xmas eve, at a neighbors house. I only just recalled it now that I read yours!

_Robert_
    Participant

Here we go. Abortion first. Birth control, LGBTQ rights, voting rights and immigration rights are next. The Vatican is running our highest court. Yet hapless ‘supposed’ liberal democrats with losing agendas are poised to give away the legislature next.

Unseen
    Participant

Here we go. Abortion first. Birth control, LGBTQ rights, voting rights and immigration rights are next. The Vatican is running our highest court. Yet hapless ‘supposed’ liberal democrats with losing agendas are poised to give away the legislature next.

State legislatures are the key, but WTF is the Democratic Party doing to take them back?

The Vatican is running our highest court.

Yes. I have often asked our government why the Vatican is allowed to dictate the Irish school curriculum when they pay no tax in this country. (Ireland)

I used to send a scheduled email every morning and when I got no reply after 6 months, I changed the schedule to every hour. I then took out a Freedom of Information request to see why I got no reply or if they had marked me as a spammer. Apparently I was “the bane of someone’s life”. They were lucky I was only in first gear 🙂

Atheist Ireland are doing great work in pointing this out.

All parents have constitutional rights in relation to the religious and moral education and formation of their children. The state only views Article 42.4 as an obligation to fund Catholic education and has never given any priority to the conditions to that funding which are a foundational pillar of the constitution.

As well as this, there is the explicit condition under article 44.2.4 that children have the right to attend publicly funded schools without attending religious instruction in those schools. This condition of funding is also routinely ignored.

“44.2.4 Legislation providing State aid for schools shall not discriminate between schools under the management of different religious denominations, nor be such as to affect prejudicially the right of any child to attend a school receiving public money without attending religious instruction at that school.”

The reason that there are so many Catholic-run schools, and the reason that minorities suffer discrimination in them, is because of religious privilege and not the Constitution. Atheist Ireland will continue to campaign for the constitutional rights of minorities.

I have successfully campaigned to get Bibles out of polling booths. If I see them ever again in one I will make sure I am arrested and make a mockery of the State in court.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Fellow Unbelievers,

Since death and naughty ditties are part of the thread, here’s one for every kid in Jesus Camp who wants to become a future Eric Robert Rudolph and every kid watching Palestinian State TV who is taught to want to be a murder/suicide-bomber on their version of Seseme Street:

If it scares them, good. It might be what triggers them to rebel against their teachers and ministers and search to find enjoyment in life on Earth.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Closing the link

Unseen
    Participant

The Vatican has nothing to do with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7knN2TXQPzw

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.