Sunday School

Sunday School September 6th 2020

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I tend to avoid having breakfast with grumpy Baptists and Catholics! I have no interest in attending even a virtual prayer one where a virtual god will honor a virtuous man.

Dostoevsky wrote that “The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by entering its prisons.” When the religiously privileged are involved things get worse because they abuse minority groups. I am all for religious liberty once it is understood that such freedoms are not given by any god. Things may change though as many Evangelical voters are not going to vote for the man who has done more for religion than Jesus.

I have often posted about Blasphemy cases so I found this story to be most excellent!! I shall be taking legal action against religious hate crimes soon.

Casual sex is great if you take it seriously and many Christians agree with me.

Research shows how Public Schools discriminate against Atheist and Muslim families.

Poland struggles to deal with pedophilia in the Catholic Church.

This weeks’ Woo: Only one in ten medical treatments are backed by high-quality evidence.

Climate Crisis: Protecting half the planet could help solve climate change and save species.

Once religious, always religious? Atheism and Agnosticism explained. Dr. Alice Roberts on Humanism.

A beginners guide to Quantum Mechanics (because nobody understands QM).

Astronomers detect most powerful black-hole collision yet.

Long Reads: QAnon and deluded Christians. The Satanic Panic that preceded QAnon in the 1980’s. The future of civilization after Covid-19. On finding a Crazy Diamond that still shines.

This week I am reading this book: The Cross and the Swastika.

‘Slow down, you move too fast …’

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Coffee Break Video:  A talk about Empathy. Spotting fake Christians in their natural habitat.

Have a great week everyone!

Unseen
    Participant

My contribution to Sunday School this week…

A giant star just up and disappeared. One theory is that perhaps a giant star can collapse into a black hole directly without a supernova.

Read more here.

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

Thanks Unseen. There was quite a bit of talk about it here in Dublin at the time as the lead scientists are from a local University. More. There has been little news about it since.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Once religious, always religious?

This is interesting.  They say, once an anarcho-punk, always an anarcho-punk.  I find this is true.  Once a hippy, always a hippy.

Unseen
    Participant

Here’s another contribution to this week’s Sunday School: Are we standing in need of the next Einstein? Someone who thinks outside the boxes of Einsteinian/Newtonian physics and quantum mechanics, to look at things in an entirely new and fresh way. Because we still have HUGE unsolved problems starting with the entire Dark Matter/Energy thing.

‘“There are some dark clouds in physics,” Loeb told me. “People will tell you, ‘we just need to figure out which particles makes the dark matter, it’s just another particle. It has some weak interaction, and that’s pretty much it.’ But I think there is a very good chance that we are missing some very important ingredients that a brilliant person might recognize in the coming years.” Loeb even said the potential for a revolutionary physics breakthrough today “is not smaller — it’s actually bigger right now” than it was in Einstein’s time.’ (Read more here.)

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Unseen.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.