TA Oldies but Goodies

The Doctor and the Farmer

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  PopeBeanie 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

PopeBeanie

Link to full discussion of The Doctor and the Farmer on ThinkAtheist.com

The Doctor and the Farmer
    Posted by Reg The Fronkey Farmer on July 10, 2014 at 3:18pm
    in Religion and the Religious, Atheism and Atheists

Hello Bob, I wonder would you mind elucidating these points a little further which you made here:

Similarly, for me, God is a useful idea. There are communities of people who study and talk about God. Just like with energy, there’s a whole, vast literature about God, some of it pretty firm, some of it more speculative, a lot of it hard for outsiders to understand without extensive study.

We had recently mentioned opening a separate discussion on what your understanding of God is. I am an ex-Catholic and having grown up in Ireland and lived here for over 40 years I thought I knew all about what a Catholic believed. However I have no understanding of what your definition of God is. I have no problem understanding what you mean when discussing Physics but I am lost when it comes to figuring out what you mean by “God”. Anytime we have asked you to explain you appear to avoid the question by the use of analogies as to how Science works. That might not be as you see it but it does appear that way to me.

“God is a useful idea” is the same (to my ears) as saying “God is a concept”. An idea is abstract and subjective. The idea of God is an idea. The concept of God is a concept. To me, it does not seem that you believe in a “real” God but rather in the idea of one. This also seems strange to me as you have a very clear understanding of scientific concepts and I cannot “get” how you can and also maintain that “God” is still useful to answer the bigger questions.

I understand all the ontological arguments from Anselm to WL Craig on one hand and Big Bang Cosmology to Quantum Mechanics (which nobody understands :-)) on the other but I don’t want to go down the road of Science vs. Religion until we get to grips with what your actual beliefs are, if that’s ok with you.

So would you mind defining what (or who) God is to you and what your basic beliefs are?

Note: anyone can join this discussion but let’s aim to stay focused on the nature of belief.

Link to full discussion of The Doctor and the Farmer on ThinkAtheist.com

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.