A Better Place

Homepage Forums Atheism A Better Place

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Glen D 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

_Robert_
    Participant

Had a rush of suicides and sudden deaths locally. Just about everyone says “he/she is in a better place”.  I just wanna ask where exactly do you suppose that is? The beloved dead are “looking down” on us. I wanna tell them the earth is spinning you morons, there is no ‘down’. Even people who accept evolution believe in “heaven”. Unless single celled animals go to heaven as well there had to be a cutoff for eligibility , right? If an Australopithecus saw the light in a prophetic moment does that count? Adult Children. “Rest in Peace”…right…

JadeBlackOlive
    Participant

Bull feathers! We got the same nonsense when my in-laws died, & all I could think of was what the heck is better than the life they loved, & had the great time with every day?

_Robert_
    Participant

I was watching a rerun of some sort of John Lennon tribute. Sir Paul was looking up and talking to John as did several other musicians. I thought it was a bit ironic considering the lyrics to John’s song “Imagine”.

Unseen
    Participant

Want to know what death is? Anyone who’s been under general anesthesia knows what it’s like.

You go under and an operation happens that could take 15 minutes or five hours, but when you wake up, no time has passed. During the duration of the operation you effectively ceased to exist. You experienced brain death. Being truly dead is the same.

Only you don’t wake up.

_Robert_
    Participant

Just get a drink from the mini-bar down in the Dominican Republic and complete knowledge will be yours!

If you have too many slices of lemon with those drinks you could end up in a bitter place.

Glen D
    Participant

A better place?

As far as I’m aware, when brain function ceases, you’r dead. IE no longer aware , of anything., so you will have no idea of where you are..

There are two choices; into the ground or into the furnace.

Harder to argue any kind of consciousness once one is reduced to a small box of fine ash. The skull often doesn’t burn to ash, so is specially pulverised  so as to take up less  space and to prevent  the bereaved from freaking out.

I have a phobia about being buried alive. My sister in law is a “White Lady” funeral director, so I asked her. She opined that a live burial was unlikely. What she  actually said was ” Put it this way; if you’re not dead when we get you, you bloody well are when we’re finished with you!” (here in Oz, soley for profit reasons, the deceased are routinely embalmed)

To answer the question: If you are in extreme pain, or  just totally  fed up, I guess being dead would be better place to be.

I’ve always thought it most unfair that: If a Christian  is wrong, he/she won’t know about it.If we atheists  are wrong, and YHWH  is real, we’ll be acutely and most unpleasantly  aware. –yet another reason to suspect God does not exist. Albeit, not as strong as the existence of the Babel fish.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Glen D.

_Robert_
    Participant

I’ve always thought it most unfair that: If a Christian is wrong, he/she won’t know about it.If we atheists are wrong, and YHWH is real, we’ll be acutely and most unpleasantly aware.

Yes, Blaise Pascal worked that out long ago. We really should join the worship team.

Glen D
    Participant

Yair, the idiocy of Pascal’s wager. Seems to be based on the assumption that God is especially stupid ,and overlooks basic Christian teaching that god can see into everyone’s heart. I mean really,  that anyone could get away with lying to god , as Christians describe him.

Irrelevant to me. I read perhaps 40 years ago the honest atheist who has lived good life  will have no  probs getting into heaven.  Added to that is my recent discovery that the notion of an eternal hell is a Christian invention.  I think I’m covered regardless.–Tell ya what though, I’m going to be royally pissed off if I’m mistaken

Davis
    Participant

Yes, Blaise Pascal worked that out long ago.

In reality the reverse of Pascal’s wager makes a whole lot more sense. Live as though our Earthly time is all we have. If you live as though there is no afterlife, then you will make the most out of the only being you have. If it turns out that we do live on some magical plane after we die, then at least you’ve spent your Earthly time the best you could. Either way you benefit so you might as well behave as though there is no afterlife.

It makes a WHOLE lot more sense. Especially since the negative consequences from taking up Pascal’s wager are the highly immoral and inhuman thoughts and actions that come along with God belief. However still, this wager and Pascal’s wager are still bullshit. None of them are actually good reasons to believe or not believe in something. This has to be worked out through reason. Not threats. Or extreme maybes.

Glen D
    Participant

Want to know what death is? Anyone who’s been under general anesthesia knows what it’s like.

Indeed. (I have)

Also if you have ever experienced a dreamless sleep. (I have, and still do, regularly)

Davis
    Participant

Anyone who’s been under general anesthesia knows what it’s like.

Indeed. Under certain kinds of anesthetic, it’s like nothing happened at all between going under and coming back to Earth. It’s slightly creepy. But I think a more interesting comparison is simply: before you were born. Remember what life was like before you were conceived? That’s what death is like. Nothing to fear.

Davis
    Participant

Even people who accept evolution believe in “heaven”.

Yeah, and Elvis is a live and living in Tweed, Ontario. He performs twice a year. You should go check it out.

Glen D
    Participant

Even people who accept evolution believe in “heaven”.

Yeah, and Elvis is a live and living in Tweed, Ontario. He performs twice a year. You should go check it out.

Well yair, Evolution is officially accepted by Catholics. No conflict is seem with the Book Of  Genesis, which is not seen as literal.

At the Catholic school I attended, we were taught Catholics have no problem with evolution or Genesis, because we don’t know just how long the days of creation were.

The Hindus also have a cosmological belief of aeons between the Yuga ages. (we are currently in Kali Yuga, which is not good, at all) This based on the notion that time for the gods is very different, and consists of vast numbers of human years.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  PopeBeanie. Reason: bq fix
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.