Amazing scientific facts most people will find hard to believe

Homepage Forums Science Amazing scientific facts most people will find hard to believe

This topic contains 23 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

Give a fact and some article in support of it. Not something only a PhD or a person with specialized knowledge could comprehend, but an article or, better, a brief video in support.

Of course, I’ll start. It literally rains diamonds on Saturn. And Neptune and possibly on the other gas giants as well.

• This topic was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Unseen.

Davis

I think  it’s particularly interesting just how difficult it would be to “mine” those diamonds. Considering the amount of pressure it takes for those diamonds to form so quickly we would need some space ship made out of a near indestructible material just to get down there (and survive air compression on the way) AND the ability to reach Jupiter’s escape velocity when leaving. You’d also need some interesting aerodynamics to navigate the near tornado currents in the atmosphere. Since it would be beyond impracticable to bring the fuel required to escape it would need some exotic propulsion technology. Also, that near indestructible material that makes up the ship would also have to shield people from the insane amount of radiation the planet emits. I would imagine one day if we developed transporter technology that we could just transport them but perhaps by then we would also have developed replicator technology making it pointless?

Apologies for starting off topic but you just reminded me of this short story, The Diamond Maker, that I read over 45 years ago.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The whites around our eyes may be there to help humans communicate and cooperate, by showing directions of things to others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20150808-gorillas-with-human-eyes

Unseen
    Participant

I think it’s particularly interesting just how difficult it would be to “mine” those diamonds. Considering the amount of pressure it takes for those diamonds to form so quickly we would need some space ship made out of a near indestructible material just to get down there (and survive air compression on the way) AND the ability to reach Jupiter’s escape velocity when leaving. You’d also need some interesting aerodynamics to navigate the near tornado currents in the atmosphere. Since it would be beyond impracticable to bring the fuel required to escape it would need some exotic propulsion technology. Also, that near indestructible material that makes up the ship would also have to shield people from the insane amount of radiation the planet emits. I would imagine one day if we developed transporter technology that we could just transport them but perhaps by then we would also have developed replicator technology making it pointless?

Despite the increased supply, the costs involved and the time commitment would likely make those diamonds far more expensive than paying poor Africans a pittance to mine them. In Russia and elsewhere they are mined just like other minerals with heavy machinery.

The satellite technology that allows companies to locate likely places to look for oil is now doing the same for diamond-mining companies.

Much of the expense of diamonds comes from an artificial scarcity managed by the friendly folks at deBeers and Russia, among others, who sit on vast holdings of unmined as well as mined diamonds to keep prices inflated.

Read more here.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Unseen.

Unseen
    Participant

The whites around our eyes may be there to help humans communicate and cooperate, by showing directions of things to others. http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/20150808-gorillas-with-human-eyes

I’ll have to try that sometime. LOL

Also, when you do an eyeroll because someone is doing or saying something stupid.

Unseen
    Participant

It sure looks like birds were hip to quantum mechanics long before genius human scientists.

_Robert_
    Participant

That is amazing how birds navigate. I swear we get the same painted buntings to our feeder every year…

Sunfish (Mola Mola) dive to depths of up to 650 feet to snack on jellyfish and are the largest bony fish (5,000 lbs). I have seen them floating at the surface, but never had I imagined they could go that deep.

https://blog.nature.org/science/2017/11/27/meet-the-magnificently-weird-mola-mola/

Unseen
    Participant

Maybe this one isn’t astounding, but I bet most people think of a large wolf as being about the same mass as a German Shepherd, which, for a large male is around 90 lb according to most kennel club standards. Incredibly, that’s about half the weight of a large Timber Wolf which could weigh 175 lb. Look at how big the head of this Canadian Timber Wolf is compared the woman’s. Basically, just his face is about as big as her entire head.

(BTW, Timber Wolf is aka Gray Wolf.)

Unseen
    Participant

Hippos are now an invasive species in Colombia.

Davis

I was actually thinking of some case in the future where we relied on diamonds for some form of technology and needed an abundance which would make diamond mining so essential. In fact scientists believe there are even diamond planets. I suppose we could even make our entire wardrobes out of diamonds couldn’t we? What would the new status symbol be for the insanely rich? Dark-matter earings?

Unseen
    Participant

I was actually thinking of some case in the future where we relied on diamonds for some form of technology and needed an abundance which would make diamond mining so essential. In fact scientists believe there are even diamond planets. I suppose we could even make our entire wardrobes out of diamonds couldn’t we? What would the new status symbol be for the insanely rich? Dark-matter earings?

The price of diamonds is artificially high due to the market manipulation of the de Beers Company, the Russians, and a few others. It’s like the oil cartel.

Unseen
    Participant

What color is a zebra? Because they often have a large white belly patch, many would say that they are white with black stripes. However, science says the opposite.

And why are zebras striped at all? It’s all about an insect.

_Robert_
    Participant

Unseen
    Participant

Since _Roger_ didn’t explain, I’ll say that during WW2 they used to camouflage ships this way. This doesn’t appear to be a warship (I could be wrong) but from a distance, a ship painted like this especially with terrain in the background would make it very hard for a submarine commander to identify it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.