Are Miracles being performed in Jerusalem?

Homepage Forums Theism Are Miracles being performed in Jerusalem?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Glen D 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

michael17
    Participant

There is person by the name of Todd White, who allegedly performed miracles on the streets of Jerusalem if you can believe these videos:

https://youtu.be/bw8k7P0mZ9I

https://youtu.be/V_1EPmA9bLw

Do a critical analysis and voice an opinion.

• This topic was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  michael17.

_Robert_
    Participant

You pulling our legs man?

michael17
    Participant

You pulling our legs man?

I wouldn’t, but the question, Is he?

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  michael17.

“The road to Lourdes is littered with crutches, but not one wooden leg.”

Émile Zola.

michael17
    Participant

“The road to Lourdes is littered with crutches, but not one wooden leg.” Émile Zola.

Nor one glass eyeball. But he is claimed to have generated missing genitalia in Africa. I want to see the evidence.

I want to see the evidence. 

Yes, don’t we all, Michael17 🙂 That is all anyone wants when they don’t take assertions and hearsay on faith alone. When someone makes a claim without any collaborative evidence it is reasonable to doubt its veracity. When someone makes supernatural claims without any collaborative evidence it is reasonable to dismiss it out of hand.
    If I was a Christian I would be annoyed with those who claim to represent Jesus in order to make money or boost they own popularity. As an atheist I absolutely dismiss any claim by any human to be able to call upon the Creator of the Universe and His Son at will in order to cure humans who don’t believe in Him.
    Why don’t these charlatans cure some atheists for a change?  I mean we don’t believe Jesus is God just as the Muslims don’t believe it. If they were a bit more John 7:17 or Matthew 6:5 it would help. Just an amateur Peter Popoff.

michael17
    Participant

I want to see the evidence.

Yes, don’t we all, Michael17 🙂 That is all anyone wants when they don’t take assertions and hearsay on faith alone. When someone makes a claim without any collaborative evidence it is reasonable to doubt its veracity. When someone makes supernatural claims without any collaborative evidence it is reasonable to dismiss it out of hand.
    If I was a Christian I would be annoyed with those who claim to represent Jesus in order to make money or boost they own popularity. As an atheist I absolutely dismiss any claim by any human to be able to call upon the Creator of the Universe and His Son at will in order to cure humans who don’t believe in Him.
    Why don’t these charlatans cure some atheists for a change? I mean we don’t believe Jesus is God just as the Muslims don’t believe it. If they were a bit more John 7:17 or Matthew 6:5 it would help. Just an amateur Peter Popoff.
    Even if he healed an Atheist, it would not be  enough evidence unless he restored a body body part.

_Robert_
    Participant

But he is claimed to have generated missing genitalia in Africa. I want to see the evidence.

Now that may be the first time I would turn down an opportunity to see the evidence.

If the healer had accidentally touched him twice he might have ended up with a spare! Then he really would be pulling the other one.

Davis
    Participant

He’s a hypnotist/social-pressureist. People have been doing it for years. Some of his victims actually experience change (in their minds) and believe something miraculous happened. It’s not that hard to motivate people into believing incredible things based on a good show and huge smiles and confidence. Others simply go along with whatever the hypnotist is saying, even if they doubt it and know that no miracle has been performed. There is a larger than life character doing these miracles in front of a camera and sometimes an audience. The next day, the man with a bum leg will have chronic pain again. Meanwhile the people who don’t need a miracle performed, who wont realise the next day that their problem isn’t actually solved…now think he is a miracle worker and many will support him and some will follow him. A few will (eventually) give him tons of money.

Here is a clip from the show “Miracles for Sale” by Derren Brown.

PopeBeanie

It’s not that hard to motivate people into believing incredible things based on a good show and huge smiles and confidence.

Oh man, visions of Scientology popped up just now.

PopeBeanie

Here is a clip from the show “Miracles for Sale” by Derren Brown.

Haha, right after that clip, youtube fed me an ad for an “acupuncture pen“. Isn’t science wonderful!? (I am just kidding here about the ‘science’, folks.)

Glen D
    Participant

Try again:

Old Emile was not entirely  correct; Since Bernadette Soubirous saw her lady in 1858, there have been a few over 60 “officially recognised” cures . But yes, no prosthetic limbs.
    How many pilgrim have been to Lourdes? 200 million or more? 60 cures seems such a small number—
    .—-especially when you consider the rate of the spontaneous remission of disease is 1:30,000. IE you have a better chance of spontaneous remission than of a cure at Lourdes.

I love a good miracle. My favourite Christian miracles were performed by St Joseph of Cupertino. When he prayed he would often go into at trance, and levitate, inside and out. His brother monks became quite accustomed to Joe flitting around the church ceiling. If they were quick, they could grab hold of his rope belt and stop him from floating away.

No, really, I’m not making this up. There’s even a picture! So it must be true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_of_Cupertino

Of course India remains arse deep in miracle workers of all kinds. Is it just me, or does anyone else see a strong correlation  between  ignorance, religiosity, superstition and religion?

Thought for the day:

“Religion: Man’s attempt to communicate with the weather” (grafitto Cambridge 2000)

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Glen D.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Glen D.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.