Does God Exist

Homepage Forums Small Talk Does God Exist

This topic contains 56 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Simon Paynton 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Participant

What do you think of his response?

I think he embodies what I think and believe for the most part better than anything or anyone I’ve ever heard.

I have not listened to any of his political stuff at all because I’m staying out of politics. But his lectures and stuff about clinical psychology and using archetypes as metaphor for demonstration of how to live a good life are amazing….

jakelafort
    Participant

This man is a charlatan.  He is a complete lying bullshit artist.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

When asked, do you believe in God, I think it’s fair enough for him to answer “I don’t know what believe means, or what God means”.  I agree that we can live “as if” God exists, and really that’s what I do, since I’ve got my own religion worked out.

“Logos the word” I think refers to “reality”, since the Word is about rationality, and rationality refers to reality.  So, reality is hard like a rock, which accounts for what he is saying about Logos being hard to wrap one’s head around and get used to.

I agree that heaven and hell are real on Earth as our individual experience of the world.

_Robert_
    Participant

“There is far more going on than we can know”

How the fuck does he know that? So at some point we just give up on learning about our universe and just acquiesce to the god of our choice? Science answers our questions as opposed to religion, that hit a brick wall 300 years ago. It’s just of no use anymore and those who cling to it look like voodoo witch doctors to me.

tom sarbeck
    Participant

Robert, religion is of much use for people who want to take from others, especially for taking from unhappy others.

_Robert_
    Participant

Robert, religion is of much use for people who want to take from others, especially for taking from unhappy others.

Yes, let me rephrase….religion is of no use to us in terms of knowledge

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Personally I think he’s right, we can live “as if God exists”, for two reasons:

– the biological pressure to thrive;

– the law of moral cause and effect (karma).

Unseen
    Participant

Will someone put his theology in a nutshell, in a few words? What is his “God” like? A theistic personal deity or some sort of Tillich-esque abstraction that doesn’t actually give a shit if someone murders a baby?

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  Unseen.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Apparently he can’t be pinned down on what he believes God is.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-Dr-Jordan-Petersons-religious-beliefs

jakelafort
    Participant

His theology is self-aggrandizement.  If he can give a defense to mindless theists it makes theists feel a little less awful about their attachment to the irrational past they cling to.  And in so doing he acquires followers.

Participant

@unseen it doesn’t really matter that much “what” because he said himself he doesn’t want to be put in a “box.” He’s a clinical psychologist. That is his lense through which he views the world. @jakelafort..WOW! Are you sure we’re talking about the same guy? I don’t even know what you are talking about. Can you spell out an example for me?

Participant

He’s not a theologian

Strega

No

jakelafort
    Participant

I think so Bellen.

I first heard him on a podcast with Harris.  It was so painful to listen.  I thought to self Peterson is either dumb as smoke off shit or he is a charlatan.  He appeals to all sides.  That is why he won’t be boxed in.  Once he is identified with a particular box he loses those who are inhabit a different box. He does not know what people mean by god and by belief?  Bull fucking shit he does not.  If he says something definitive he alienates some of his followers.

I despise obscurantism. Being so vague and failing to take a position on fundamental issues creates a shield against criticism.

He talks with the same vagueness and caprice just as any theologian does. They start almost every answer by claiming the wording of the question is problematic. They then waffle on using as much non plain English as possible to sound as erudite as possible before giving their definitive answer to the supposed difficult question.

When they speak to me in such a manner I always ask them “So why the egregious sesquipedalian loquaciousness? You are being an ultracrepidarianist“. That usually shuts the bullshit valve off for a few minutes so they are forced to come up with a straight answer.  “I mean you are the one telling me that I am wrong not to believe in the god you believe in so please explain to me what you mean by the term God in a few sentences. How can you believe in a god you cannot define?”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.