Does history attest to the accuracy of the prophecy of the book of revelation ?

Homepage Forums Theism Does history attest to the accuracy of the prophecy of the book of revelation ?

This topic contains 136 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  michael17 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 137 total)
  • Author

michael17
    Participant

Hey Michael, I hope you are not part of that FAA ‘oversight’ crew. I designed avionics for decades and well it was trending hard towards the fox guarding the chickens well before I retired. The FAA was the exact opposite of omnipresent, omniscient and omnipotent , LOL. And well we all know what happened. Your exercise in curve fitting the dots of generic symbolic language to historical events is as weak as it gets. How about a nice game of chess

I play at ICC http://www.chess.com   No worry, that’s not the agency I work for 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  PopeBeanie. Reason: bq fix(es)

Mensa entrance is 148 but rather like “fight Club”, the unwritten rule is not to disclose your IQ.  Some days though I can be as thick as a short plank 🙂

The beautiful women I know take solace from living once and would crack a rib laughing (yes, that rib) if the slightest thought of any unearthly gods entered their minds. It would not happen.

St. Augustine, beloved by the Catholics:

What does it matter whether it be in the person of mother or sister; we have to beware Eve in every woman.

St.Gregory of Nazianzum, a 4th century archbishop of Constantinople:

She was the first in the transgression therefore keep her in subjection.

or even Luther:

No gown worse becomes a woman than the desire to be wise.

Yes, religion really does hold women in high regard.

jakelafort
    Participant

Michael, are you gonna just duck, dodge and evade?

How did you come to believe in god? What is your evidence? Why is the bible reliable? How can a text authenticate itself? Why shouldn’t prophecies be clear to all? If an all powerful creator has something to tell us why be abstruse? Failing to communicate with clarity makes the prophecy known to few if any. if K sera sera, why prophesy? It is not going to change anything. Are we to believe that god acts without purpose or design? Also if the future is fixed why pretend we humans have free will and then punish us for doing what we can not help but do? If the future is not fixed then how do you get around the issue of having knowledge of a future event when that event is built on a very specific unfolding? I have other questions but that will do it for now.

If you climb the eighth hill of Rome, The Janiculum, named after the imaginary god Janus, you get a great view of the other seven hills. Hope that does not mess with your numerology too much.

michael17
    Participant

Michael, are you gonna just duck, dodge and evade? How did you come to believe in god? What is your evidence? Why is the bible reliable? How can a text authenticate itself? Why shouldn’t prophecies be clear to all? If an all powerful creator has something to tell us why be abstruse? Failing to communicate with clarity makes the prophecy known to few if any. if K sera sera, why prophesy? It is not going to change anything. Are we to believe that god acts without purpose or design? Also if the future is fixed why pretend we humans have free will and then punish us for doing what we can not help but do? If the future is not fixed then how do you get around the issue of having knowledge of a future event when that event is built on a very specific unfolding? I have other questions but that will do it for now.

At the time of the writing persecution was throughout the empire so the written letters had to be written coded as not to be conspicuously badmouthing the Empire. Whereas the book of Daniel translated the visions in the text.      I was an atheist even after Look magazine published the appearance of the Virgin on the roof of a Coptic church in Egypt before a crowd of thousands, mostly muslim. The only plausible explanation that scientist gave was earthquake activity.:https://youtu.be/nMEWxRB-1dc  

Well that cause me to slowly question my atheism, despite later attributing it to spiritual wickedness in the sky.

In the book of Jonah, a city did take heed to a prophecy and was spared but Jonah was pissed. Also  the husband Jezebel took head to prophecy against him and got his life extended by decades.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  michael17.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  PopeBeanie. Reason: bq fix(es)

jakelafort
    Participant

It is clear you got nuthin Michael. Bone dry.

I am not even gonna bother to critique your thoughts.

I had an image in a cabinet that could be perceived as Jesus. I should have sold tickets.

michael17
    Participant

It is clear you got nuthin Michael. Bone dry. I am not even gonna bother to critique your thoughts. I had an image in a cabinet that could be perceived as Jesus. I should have sold tickets.

Actually, I had a skeptical  reaction to the scientific explanation to this 3D moving object suspended above the roof your image in the closet won’t hold a candle to that phenomena. Even the scientist at least acknowledged the phenomenon, witnessed by a half million people and was sensational around the world.

michael17
    Participant

If you climb the eighth hill of Rome, The Janiculum, named after the imaginary god Janus, you get a great view of the other seven hills. Hope that does not mess with your numerology too much.

Thanks for the informative comment. I’ll have to get back to you.

michael17
    Participant

Mensa entrance is 148 but rather like “fight Club”, the unwritten rule is not to disclose your IQ. Some days though I can be as thick as a short plank 🙂 .

I know the feeling. The other day I couldn’t correctly operate a lottery ticket machine and I was quickly corrected by a security guard making a mere fraction of my earnings. But that’s good it keeps us humble 🙂

Not long to wait now! What do you make of Paula White? Agree or think she is nuts or just a Liar for Jesus to line her own pockets?

jakelafort
    Participant

Michael, you have skeptical reactions to rationalism of any stripe that contravenes your highly idiosyncratic and tendentious fantasy.

If you were a proponent of space men visiting us (at least that fantasy is within the realm of possible) a ufo(s) that could not be identified would buttress your fantasy.

Did the gremlins that were perceived by pilots during WW2 prove their existence? Do the little space men with big white heads perceived by many prove their existence? Do the many historical cases of mass hysteria prove the phenomenon?

Am gonna stop…gotta stop reaching for the cheese that is your idiocy. Wait, spiritual wickedness in the sky? WTF!

PopeBeanie

The only truth wrt religion I’m certain of is that mortal human beings wrote all scriptures. The latest, supremely influential contribution to scriptures came from Muhammed (peanut butter upon him), riding on the coattails/wings of Gabriel (and other widespread mythology of the time) to achieve maximum credibility in his neck of the woods/desert and political era.

I was going to mention Sir Isaac Newton’s fascination with eschatology, whose IQ was surely monumental. Humans and some earlier hominids developed their own increasingly incredibly powerful neural software updates (i.e. culture), creating language, useful tools, grand-scale agriculture/hunting skills/politics, art, music, fiction… and gods and religion in attempts to explain all the things that previous species couldn’t explain, much less ponder. We all know how crazy cultures and subcultures evolved over thousands (and hundreds of thousands) of years. Imagining and proposing (or declaring) connections in nature and life experiences could sometimes usefully inform intellectual and technological progress, but included, and still includes (now more than ever) an increasingly large wasteland of intellectualized/cerebrally-derived BULLSHIT.

I ask myself what is this undying meme about proving that traditionalized scripture written by mortal human beings is true? The meme isn’t limited to scriptures, but takes on all kinds of myth, metaphysics, pseudo-science, and cultural constructs, e.g. political and economic systems… especially where prophesy matters so much, because proposed connections and predictions are just as exciting and self-reinforcing via faith as betting one’s life savings at Las Vegas. There is an ultimate “prize” (Heaven), perceived and wished to be right around the corner, and we just know we’ll be proven correct someday, or maybe the journey is full of purpose even in avoidance of Hell.

This has been going on for millenia. Science kinda does this too. But religions insist that faith in scripture (and one’s chosen or invented interpretation of it) trumps any doubt or other interpretation of it, even to the extent at times of shunning or executing its non-conformers. Peer (or overlord) pressure trumps independent evaluation. Newton had to keep his genius evaluations to himself when they conflicted with current, traditional religious authorities.

Michael, not only are prophecies written by fallible mortals, but they require constant fallible mortal interpretation and fallible mortal evaluation as to their purported truthiness. Why would a just and infallible God not make His plans more clear from the beginning, and/or why would He watch his creation destroy itself?

_Robert_
    Participant

Doubt and reason-over-faith are always the worst offense to the scriptors of religion; even though doubt and reason serve us well in every other capacity.

Confide in Jehovah with all thy heart, and lean not unto thine own intelligence

What a crock of shite.

michael17
    Participant

Michael, you have skeptical reactions to rationalism of any stripe that contravenes your highly idiosyncratic and tendentious fantasy. If you were a proponent of space men visiting us (at least that fantasy is within the realm of possible) a ufo(s) that could not be identified would buttress your fantasy. Did the gremlins that were perceived by pilots during WW2 prove their existence? Do the little space men with big white heads perceived by many prove their existence? Do the many historical cases of mass hysteria prove the phenomenon? Am gonna stop…gotta stop reaching for the cheese that is your idiocy. Wait, spiritual wickedness in the sky? WTF!

You must know that you cannot photograph mass hysteria nor does it cause luminous 3D beings to appear in the sky illuminated. There was never a peer reviewed paper publish explaining how earth quakes could induce 3D animated bodies in the sky. The scientist should have been honest and said simply, we don’t know.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  PopeBeanie. Reason: bq fix

You must know that you cannot photograph mass hysteria…

I have seen it often among groups of believers. Groups of people that want or need to believe in something will allow themselves to believe it (whatever “it” is at the time).  This is certainly true of Catholics and Evangelicals. It is why the portmanteau “sheeple” was coined. We are a gullible species when we don’t exercise critical thinking.

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos (another one of my tattoos).

Did you know that “gullible” is the only English word not in the dictionary? Though I have heard that you won’t find “love” in the dictionary too.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.