How do you explain that?

Homepage Forums Small Talk How do you explain that?

This topic contains 36 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  PopeBeanie 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Ivy
    Participant

Can you think of something we don’t yet fully understand or know the answer to?

There is something that happened to me a few years back that I simply cannot shake off….With out being super specific: I knew something was going to happen before it did. Something major. Something life changing. If not attributed to God telling me what other possible explanations could it be? It was a premonition that came true. A big one. The biggest of my entire life….it has been since this day that I turned back towards God….

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by  Ivy.

jakelafort
    Participant

Easy Peezy…lemon breezy…coincidences that blow our mind are inevitable…we don’t think twice or are even aware of the potential coincidences that fail to materialize. (This is like confirmation bias)

If you have one million potentials for coincidence and the odds of forming that connection are one in a million you have to expect the coincidence connection to hit on average once every million opps. But if you  narrowly focus on that million to one shot without looking at it in context you may think…holy fuck knockers…that means something…and it is easy to make the mistake of imputing agency and your tendency to be blown away is even greater when it is a coincidence involving a premonition…there must be agency you  think!

But naah…just start making predictions about things you feel are going to happen and watch them fail to materialize over and over.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The one time I knew I was going to find £10, to help someone with, I found it within half an hour.

_Robert_
    Participant

I suck at bowling. I don’t even enjoy it. I needed a PE credit in college and bowling was the only thing I could take and wouldn’t need a shower after. I think I averaged 140. Last class, last game I roll 8 strikes in a row. The “instructor” gets all excited and rounds up all the other students to watch me finish out. I couldn’t care less. I roll 4 more strikes…..a perfect game, the place goes crazy !

Best lesson an avionics engineer could ever have. I based my designs on meeting the appropriate probability of failure that might impact flight safety and then I worked hard to make it much better.

Hell, the probability that your daddy’s wiggler that “zygoated” you would just dry up on the mod green shag carpet is way higher than it finds your egg. We are all freaks of probability.

Davis
    Participant

I suck at bowling. I don’t even enjoy it.

No one does bowling like “keggling”. I was born in the Black Forest in Germany a place with gorgeous midaevil villages. They have their own mini-Oktoberfests in early winter. They dress up in their own version of Lederhosen (black without those stupid suspenders) often have free beer and sausages for visitors (always welcome) and they play a variety of ridiculous games (usually with the penalty of drinking an entire litre of beer in one go if you screw up…which most people do). The music entertainment is Schlager music (very annoying folk music if you aren’t drunk…super fun to dance to if you are). And lots of games are played. One game played in a few villages is a version of Keggling. There are nine pins in the form of a diamond (played outside). You have to throw a Zucchini vertically (almost as if you are throwing a boomerang). It has to spin at least three times before hitting the pins. Anyone experienced has to knock down all the pins. Anyone else has to knock down any pins at all. Failing to do this mean a litre of beer down the hatch. Spill more than, say, 50ml of that beer as you drink it…and you have to start again with a whole litre. There are several other ridiculous games varrying from village to village including driving nails into a tree stump and making birdcalls and so on. You have not lived until you’ve been to a village Volksfest, got drunk and threw a zucchini at bowling pins.

_Robert_
    Participant

No one does bowling like “keggling”

I kept re-reading that to make sure you didn’t say zucchini. But you did. It does not seem probable at all. What were the odds that a universe would be created where people in black Liederhosen would bowl with Zucchini? Is that proof of he that is best when al dente? Perhaps…we love our pasta with zucchini.

Davis
    Participant

It does not seem probable at all

Well throwing a Zucchini seems like the least incredible thing when you wake up the next morning in the festival tent on the floor soaked in beer and other grossness and your friends show you photos (or worse…videos) of what you did that night. If you think stupid vegitable games are ridiculous, the Swiss to some really bizarre stuff in their Folk festivals like throwing a Sheepshead down a very steep hill and chasing after it. Dressing up in super creepy animal or creepy people masks and costumes and trying to scare the children at night time. Throwing sausages out the top window of city hall.  Cutting a dead goose off a rope. And perhaps the most helarious and gross of all: Cow shit bingo. You can look it up if you really feel like seeing images of it.

PopeBeanie

If not attributed to God telling me what other possible explanations could it be?

I’d much rather just say “I don’t know” instead of concluding it must one of those many spirits or gods that we know for sure have been invented by humans to explain things they don’t understand. Are you not just picking the easiest one due to he/she/it becoming the most popular?

Simon Paynton
    Participant

My latest tarot reading, which I have transcribed, continues to come true to a T.  Put it this way, the items that she gave me are accurate, but incomplete, but not essentially so.  For 2019, it only runs up to September, and ends on the Star of Hope, which is about right.  I think that for a tarot reading to work, you have to be there, and maybe it just picks up on whoever shuffles the cards.  By that I mean, the person whose personal web of cause and effect maybe influences the chance fall of the cards.

jakelafort
    Participant

Simon that aint funny. It is too stupid to be funny.

Davis
    Participant

For a Tarot reading to work you have to hand over your hard earned money AND find some kind of hindsight explanation for how it works. You have to completely ignore and pretend cold-reading isn’t a time honored and very easy tradition. Put faith into a set of printed paper-plastic cards and money making swindlers that there is something more beyond their trickery and centuries old game.

Davis
    Participant

If not attributed to God telling me what other possible explanations could it be?

Like a gazillion billion schmillion other possible explanations…ones that don’t involve an imaginary invisible supernatural being in the sky chatting with you and granting you your wishes. How on Earth does anyone get to the point where the default and only logical sounding explanation is an imaginary invisible supernatural being in the sky chatting with you and granting you your wishes. How did the cosmos produce a planet of people who cannot fathom an explanation for stuff they don’t understand beyond an imaginary invisible supernatural being in the sky chatting with you and granting you your wishes?

Bill
    Participant

How about, since you had turned away from the god known as Yahweh, the one true God (maybe it was the Flying Spaghetti Monster, maybe it was Russell’s Teapot) was testing your faith and gave you a premonition to make sure you wouldn’t turn back toward the false one.

By the way, you failed.

Seriously though, it’s called a “coincidence”. Just move on.

How did the moon get there? Can any of you atheists explain that?

jakelafort
    Participant

1.  My premonition and its fulfillment is not a coincidence. It is providence-being informed by god of a future event so that i will not be surprised….or as a way to convince one who has doubts…or?

2. My premonition and its fulfillment is a coincidence. I and others from time to time have a notion as to a future event. The bearers of premonitions are wrong endlessly as to that contemplated future event.  Were that not true the bearer would never have to do a stitch of work.  Lotteries, stock markets and race tracks offer handsome rewards to those who see the future.

But what if premonitions only operate in personal matters such as meeting the love of one’s life at a French cafe, or a chance encounter with a long lost friend, or learning of a sudden that one is adopted? If god is behind premonitions and intends to inform the bearer then god being infallible and omniscient will never fail to fulfill the premonition.  But we know that is not true. So either god is not creating the premonition or god is fallible and therefore is not god.  Not god and a tiny percentage of premonitions panning out is consistent with the universe we know.

my silly little poem:

In a universe of countless incidents

The absence of coincidence

Is greater than any incidence

Of unexplained and inexplicable coincidence

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.