It's not Russia, it's Putin

Homepage Forums Politics It's not Russia, it's Putin

This topic contains 203 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Unseen 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 204 total)
  • Author

This is also a good conversation.

_Robert_
    Participant

Sachs is a real conspiracy flake moron who needs to be fired, lol.

Wiki-Sachs has repeated COVID-19 disinformation by China by stating publicly that COVID-19 came out of “US lab biotechnology”. ….

In August 2022 Sachs appeared on the podcast of anti-vaccine conspiracy theorist Robert F. Kennedy Jr…..He received criticism for comparing vaccine mandates to the Holocaust on the podcast.

Most of the world’s population lives under the feet of non-democratic authoritarians. And the number is increasing every day. Americans have become so entitled they have no idea what they have nor what it will be like when it is gone. This extreme belief in misinformation and partisanship to the point of siding with a bad acting dictatorship over ones’ own leading democratic country is a bad omen for all free people.

Unseen
    Participant

@robert

That Covid came out of a U.S.-run or maybe -financed research lab is a possibility. It’s becoming clear that Covid-19 didn’t occur naturally.

BTW, the Lancet recently issued a report assessing the possible causes of the disease and noted the likelihood of there being an unnatural component in its genome. Unnatural obviously means something the result of human intervention…in a well-equipped lab. Not something that would come out of a Chinese wet market or by some nut job in his basement lab.

Sachs, who headed Lancet’s study explains their findings:

This is interesting:

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  Unseen.

Unseen
    Participant

@Reg

I like Al Jazeera as an alternative source of news. I know when to suspect their coverage a bit, but oversall they are a good and respectable news source. I also watch DW News (Germany), France 24, and sometimes even RT News which isn’t always Russian propatanda. Al Jazeera, DW News, and France 24 all have many many good videos on a wide variety of topics.

jakelafort
    Participant

If Sachs is coming out with conspiracy misinformation particularly in re to covid then fuck him. Then again a person can be fucked as to one opinion and have a well-reasoned and informed in another area.

However as to the threat of escalation of nucs and the repercussions i think it is a major concern. I also think that it is not far out that there is a media narrative towing the party line. On the other hand it is so much work to read/listen to various sources to form one’s own well grounded opinion that unless it is your job or you are so inclined it brutal getting to the bottom of shit like this.

Revealing the hidden casualties of one elite Russian regiment in Ukraine – BBC Newsnight.

Unseen
    Participant

The Lancet isn’t a publication known for its hysterics. lf you pay attention do Sachs’ video, I don’t think you’ll find any hint of him trying to engineer a conspiratorial conclusion. I’d say one of the very few conclusions is that Covid-19 is highly unlikely to have developed genetic modification that made it so contagious out in nature. It’s the sort of modification (gain of function) a scientist can do in a lab.

Here, a very respectable interpreter of scientific and medical documents, Dr. John Campbell, discusses the Lancet report and there are many things to be concerned about, one of which is the possibility that the U.S. was somehow involved in making Covid a highly contagious disease:

_Robert_
    Participant

If Sachs is coming out with conspiracy misinformation particularly in re to covid then fuck him. Then again a person can be fucked as to one opinion and have a well-reasoned and informed in another area.

Nope, not for me. Once you are exposed as a crackpot you have zero credibility over anything in my book.  Again, we have someone with zero evidence talking shit. Where’s your evidence, doctor? Remember what the Watergate investigators went through to develop evidence before shooting their mouths off? What happened to all that? Now anybody can just say anything.

So, we have this generation of old farts (who grew up when the news media had real sources and a reputation to defend) and they so are conditioned to basically believe anything they consume. The age of misinformation is upon us, and they are drinking from a firehose.

My friend in the city of Zaporizhzhia (under the ‘Deadly missile attack’ heading) took these photos. The first is from his house on the opposite side of the bombed building. The second taken 3 hours later when it got daylight. I have other photos that I won’t post. The Ukrainian media posted that 3 civilians died but that is so a not to sow any more panic. I have a recording of the air raid sirens and 3 blasts on WhatsApp from earlier that night. If anyone can suggest a way of posting an mpeg here I will upload it. Bombings in the city now for about 15 nights in a row.

Unseen
    Participant

So, we have this generation of old farts (who grew up when the news media had real sources and a reputation to defend) and they so are conditioned to basically believe anything they consume. The age of misinformation is upon us, and they are drinking from a firehose.

We need to throw away labels. Labels like “crackpot,” “conspiracy theorist,” “liar,” and so on at least long enough to consider if they might be onto something. Such labels short-circuit our thinking process and can be used as cover by some to do nefarious things.

Example: the theory that perhaps the United States was the bad actor in the case of the Nord Stream pipelines eco-terror events. We are all to ready to assume those bad guys, the Russians did it and invent convoluted reasons as evidence Russia did it involving Putin’s multidimensional chess. Reasons with no evidence. The notion that the United States did it has some logic behind it. The logic doesn’t need to be convoluted. It’s plain as day. No, it’s not proof, but anyone who can’t admit it’s a possibility based on what we know (military operations in the area, the U.S. benefitting in several ways) is someone blinded by their attitudes toward the players in the situation.

As I said, we need to stop hiding behind labels long enough to fairly consider the available evidence.

“Conspiracy theorist.” It has two meanings, basically. 1) Someone who prefers to believe conspiracy theories over more reasonable explanations. This is virtually a mental disease for some people. The flat or hollow Earth theories, for example, or that the Jews or Jesuits are the puppetmasters of history. 2) Someone who thinks they have evidence for a possible conspiracy. A theory in much the same sense of theory as how we use it discussing evolution. In other words, an explanation that comports with the evidence and hopefully implies ways to confirm or disconfirm it, at least in theory.

Finally, I hear people assuming that “conspiracy” is always a bad thing. Not so. For example, if you’re living under a despot, to overthrow him and free the country’s people will almost always require forming a conspiracy.

_Robert_
    Participant

The Lancet isn’t a publication known for its hysterics. lf you pay attention do Sachs’ video, I don’t think you’ll find any hint of him trying to engineer a conspiratorial conclusion. I’d say one of the very few conclusions is that Covid-19 is highly unlikely to have developed genetic modification that made it so contagious out in nature. It’s the sort of modification (gain of function) a scientist can do in a lab. Here, a very respectable interpreter of scientific and medical documents, Dr. John Campbell, discusses the Lancet report and there are many things to be concerned about, one of which is the possibility that the U.S. was somehow involved in making Covid a highly contagious disease:

Unseen, it takes about 5 seconds…

John Lorimer Campbell[2] is a British YouTuber and retired nurse educator who has posted YouTube videos commenting on the COVID-19 pandemic since January 2020 on his channel, Dr. John Campbell. Initially, his videos received some praise, but later they veered into containing misinformation, such as the suggestion that deaths from COVID-19 have been over-counted, repeated false claims about the use of the anti-parasitic drug ivermectin as a COVID-19 treatment,[3][4] and misleading commentary about vaccine safety.[5][6][7] By January 2022, his videos had been viewed more than 429 million times.

Not a working epidemiologist. Misleading the blind and living off the view count. Telling the morons what they wanna hear and making a living from it. Are you ever gonna post something real…instead of appeals to fake authority?

By January 2022, his videos had been viewed more than 429 million times.

How much money does 1 million views on YouTube earn?

Using Forbes’s estimated pay rate of $5 per 1,000 views, a YouTube video with 1,000,000 views can make upward of $5,000. Let just use $2500 per million, a more typical estimate. This piece o’shit has earned 500 x $2500 = $1,250,000. But you think this nurse is a leading Covid researcher. Sad and pathetic.

jakelafort
    Participant

Robert, I appreciate your take but i think it is not the best approach. Although i concede in matters of religious nonsense i won’t assess claims of a religious nature from a religious crackpot.

I say attack the idea not the speaker. Your approach is a kind of reversal of argument from authority fallacy. And in this day and age of ideology and echo chambers i notice how prevalent the tendency to dismiss anything from the enemy camp. So for Trump haters even if an orange squirrel stumbled on a nut the haters will dismiss the nut cuz it was a Trump claim. Same goes for right wingers with lefties. It is just not the best way to proceed. For instance i do not like Chomsky. But i have come across some of his opinions where i agree. I can’t just dismiss it cuz it is a Chomsky claim.

_Robert_
    Participant

Robert, I appreciate your take but i think it is not the best approach. Although i concede in matters of religious nonsense i won’t assess claims of a religious nature from a religious crackpot. I say attack the idea not the speaker. Your approach is a kind of reversal of argument from authority fallacy. And in this day and age of ideology and echo chambers i notice how prevalent the tendency to dismiss anything from the enemy camp. So for Trump haters even if an orange squirrel stumbled on a nut the haters will dismiss the nut cuz it was a Trump claim. Same goes for right wingers with lefties. It is just not the best way to proceed. For instance i do not like Chomsky. But i have come across some of his opinions where i agree. I can’t just dismiss it cuz it is a Chomsky claim.

If Chomsky came on a public program and flippantly stated/suggested the US blew up the pipeline and presented no evidence beyond hearsay, I would be very surprised based on his past work and dismiss all of his future claims as unreliable as well. He would not do that, now would he?

Unseen
    Participant

@robert

I remember Dr. Campbell, who seldom does anything other than read and interpret learned documents, actually saying that Covid deaths are certainly undercounted since so much of it depends on reporting and since often people die of something other than Covid who might have lived were it not for Covid. I’d like to see him saying they were overcounted in general. Perhaps he might have referred to some particular situation.

So, he gets a lot of views. He’s lucky.

jakelafort
    Participant

Robert,

If the claim has no substance beyond hearsay and unnamed sources then credibility may be the only criteria to assess a claim.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 204 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.