Please remind me, why do we need pitbulls?

Homepage Forums Small Talk Please remind me, why do we need pitbulls?

This topic contains 71 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  jakelafort 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

American was great (unless you had the wrong skin color) in the 1950’s -1980’s when much of Europe and Asia were rebuilding from piles of rubble. Now it is a relatively backward thinking society, full of religious zealots. Pretty much last place now on human wellness, education, racism/sexism, climate change, wealth equality, and pandemic response. Can’t even make a decent fucking movie anymore. So yea, there are two paths we can go by. Is there really time to change the road we are on?

Setting aside the staggering human cost, if one simply looks at all the money America blew on the Afhanistan conflict (not officially a war), think of all the nice things Americans might have had with that money. Anytime you propose something to improve Americans’ lives, the reply is “How ya gonna pay for it? Print more money?” When they spend money on the military, it’s never how it will be paid for.

Those military-industrial lobbyists do a really good job, don’t they?

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Davis,

I see that, regarding my position, you have the attention span of a startled Pitbull, so I’ll pass on responding to all that yipping.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

I have heard it said that the U.S. Government could confiscate the entire wealth of Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg, and Jeff Bezos and the top 30 Billionaires in the U.S. and it still wouldn’t pay for the War in Afghanistan.

But it gets deeper than that.  Confiscating that much wealth wouldn’t pay for the bigger War in Iraq, and both wars are part of the larger Defense spending, and all of it is dwarfed by our Government’s spending on Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, and every other social welfare spending item that is regarded as an “entitlement.”

In fact, the Government could confiscate the wealth of every Billionaire in the nation…and it still wouldn’t pay all of Bernie Sanders’ proposed Three Little Kittens Mittens and Pie Acts that he wants for the U.S.:

WALL STREET JOURNAL: EVEN CONFISCATING ENTIRE WEALTH OF ALL US BILLIONAIRES COULDN’T PAY FOR DEMOCRATIC SPENDING PLANS

Wall Street Journal: Even Confiscating Entire Wealth of All US Billionaires Couldn’t Pay for Democratic Spending Plans

Spending more than you have is a problem that no one of any pay grade can solve.  It is true for an individual and it is true for a nation.

But we keep doing what we’re doing and getting what we’re getting and going where we’re going and “I swear she must believe it’s all Heaven sent.”

Enjoy our Unofficial National Anthem!  No standing for the Flag or kneeling for the Cross required, just do like me and sit down and think:

Davis

I see that, regarding my position, you have the attention span of a startled Pitbull, so I’ll pass on responding to all that yipping.

I’m sorry Enco, did you say something?

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  Davis.

Davis

Spending more than you have is a problem that no one of any pay grade can solve.  It is true for an individual and it is true for a nation.

Your math is extremely shitty there Enco. The money you confiscate from billionaires does not equal the total possible tax potential. Some of US’s taxes are insanely low. You could easily afford the kind of services offered in Norway. An example of taxes: Capital gains (insanely low), VAT (really low in some states), petrol tax, alcohol and cigarette taxes, speculation tax, corporate tax, business tax, income tax.

America can EASILY afford this shit. It is the wealthiest entity the world has ever seen. If tiny countries can do it, for America it would be a breeze and be done far more efficiently. Stop bullshitting us Enco with your excuses. You are ideologically against it. Just admit it. We know your position. You don’t want to contribute a share of your means to help out those who desperately need assistance.  It is clear to everyone here. I can respect someone who simply flat out admits that way more than someone who bullshits excuses and pokes tiny holes in how it works in other countries or fishes for a few examples of how things go wrong thereby dismissing the whole enterprise.

You don’t want to share to help others and find the idea of social services immoral. We got it.

Unseen
    Participant

@Enco

I’m not sure what all that has to do with pitbulls, but the bottom 99% aren’t asking for the 1% to pay for stuff INSTEAD OF US but to PITCH IN and HELP OUT with a fair share of the portion of their wealth they don’t need to stuff their faces and keep a roof over their head. Most of us can barely make do and, in case you hadn’t noticed, the wealth of the middle class has been on a precipitous nosedive for a while now while they get richer and richer. And one thing they do like to spend their money on is things to make our lives worse, like blocking legislation to bring down the cost of prescription medications and blocking Medicare for All so that the United States could upgrade its medical system to be on a par with those in Europe or even Cuba, which has a better mother and infant mortality rate than we do.

Anyway, back to pitbulls?

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  Unseen.

Davis

To return to pitbulls, on an entirely personal perspective: while the Staffordshire terrier my brother had was beautiful, and even sweet (until it wasn’t sweet), I don’t for a second believe that you couldn’t get virtually the same qualities and experience from a less dangerous breeds/mixes. Also, my brother was honestly the prototypical kind of person who would get a pitbul (not that all pitbull owners are like this): wanting to have and display tough and mean looking things. His friend had a boa-constrictor and he and his friends video-taped and watched laughing as they dropped live mice and rabbits into the boa’s aquarium, considered by them as one of the most “epic” experiences they ever had.

Unseen
    Participant

So many of the “epic” videos of pitbulls and other large and ferocious dogs involve one of two kinds of mismatch: either a big dog set upon some relatively defenseless creature like a smaller dog or a cat, or else a pack of dogs set upon some prey item. One on one well-matched encounters, when they occur, must not be terribly interesting. One of the few I do remember is of a mountain lion killing a wolf, but of course that wouldn’t interest the kind of ghouls who love to see dogs killing animals. I will show you this, because it was not fatal, but it does show that a pitbull, even one in the hands of a skilled trainer, can suddenly think it’s in the dogfight ring and attack, even with little or no provocation.

jakelafort
    Participant

It looks like the other dog is submissive. If there were no people to intervene i wonder if the Pit would have finished him.

Unseen
    Participant

120 lb pitbull/American bulldog mix kills woman who was watching it for a friend.

In case you’re wondering what an American bulldog looks like, it’s like an English bulldog with longer legs, more of a face, and a very athletic body:

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  Unseen.

jakelafort
    Participant

What a way to die. Gigantic spitter mauls ya to death. I wonder if Pits have been used as war dogs?

jakelafort
    Participant

First thing that pops up…it Bulls were used to represent the USA on WWI recruitment posters. They were used in the military too. The most well-known was Sergeant Stubby, the most decorated war dog to have served. Sergeant Stubby warned his troops of incoming attacks and even held a German soldier captive.

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.