Popularity of Hallowe'en

Homepage Forums Small Talk Popularity of Hallowe'en

This topic contains 29 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Davis 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

_Robert_
    Participant

As I was brushing my teeth with pumpkin spice toothpaste I was thinking how when I was a kid Hallowe’en was a fun but campy affair. Now it is so huge and the 2nd biggest merch holiday. The Church was not a fan back in the 60s/70s and made up ‘all saints day’ to wage a war against Hallowe’en. I also used to welcome the fall harvest weather as Hallowe’en was usually cool even here in the South. Now it is liable to be hot as hell and our jack o lantern just melts in a pumpkin-rot mess that momma flies are looking to raise their maggots in. Spits out toothpaste.

Davis
    Participant

There was no Haloween as a kid in Germany or the UK. Only in Canada. And I remember it was cold, one year it was -10ºC/14ºF and we had to wear our winter jackets and even snow pants. The only thing they could see was our face, which was often a cheap plastic mask (the cool dress up part under our jackets no one could see). By trick or treating for at least 2 hours we pulled in a full pillow case. There were a few people who made their houses a haunted house. Some were lame, some were helarious or super super scarry. I remember in one we were blind folded and had our hands put in a bowl (probably spaghetti and jello and boiled eggs) and told it was witches eyes and zombie brains etc. Which I think would probably have you end up in court these days for traumatizing children but then it was crazy fun. Then on the way home we’d steal a few pumpkins and bash them in the middle of the street and brag the next day about how bad ass we were. My brother spent the night going to a farmer and buying a crate of bad eggs (yeah I know, you’d think that stuff only happens in the movie but some douchey farmers actually sell these crates around halloween to kids). And he and friends would egg peoples houses after they closed up for the night. I was told the principals house was egged multiple times and his trees toilet papers. Not sure if it was true but wouldn’t at all be surprised if it were. My parents went to a nice pub for a party though never dressing up (though my mother wore a clown nose one year). They said it was always a fun night. I was a teenage mutant ninja turtle that year but don’t remember which one (my mom probably bought the cheapest one). At school we cut out pumpkin shapes from orange paper and drew things on it. At home we all carved a pumpkin each. Mine were shitty, my brother made art. My father’s was perfectly symetrical. And that’s the halloween I remember. The school events, the colours, decorations, sounds, super hero or princess costumes (almost none of my friends dressed up as ghosts or zombies). Being told to do a funny trick for the candy. Yelling out trick-or-treat 200 times. The smell of the fallen rotten leaves. The scary music in the background. Someone on the porch of a house dressed as a manequin who jumps out and scares you when you approach the door (awesomely scary). Sorting your enormous pile of candy at the end and trading with friends the next day. What an utterly fabulous awesome holiday. I hope it never ends and I wish I could still go trick-or-treating.

They started doing it a little in Spain and it is utterly boring as hell. No trick-or-treating. Nothing in school. Just a few parties in some bars, the few people dressed always in a very macabre outfit (zombie, ghost, witch, vampire). No pumpkin, candy, orange and black colours. Just spookey music, low lights and expensive haloween themed drinks. I went one year in my scottish kilt and vest and nobody had any idea why. I told them you can be anything you want on haloween and they just didn’t get it. Though people lifted up my kilt all the time without asking. A lot of my friends say it’s a stupid holiday. And if you celebrate it like that, yeah, it’s an extremely stupid one. Without carving pumpkins, getting or giving away candy, the music, colours and fantasy….what’s the point?

Please tell me they still do trick-or-treating and leave out pumpkins and do activities in school!

Jody Lee
    Participant

Halloween is big here. My 10yr old still trick or treats. I just hung out our porch skelly. My favorite thing is just how eery the month can be. Dark, foggy October mornings are the best. Leaves everywhere, spider webs glistening in the sunrise, colored mums in bloom. Ah, think I’ll take my coffee to the porch and watch the dew evaporate and then listen to the chickens.

jakelafort
    Participant

Atheist family and iconoclastic so no celebrating nuthin…get-togethers for thanksgiving and walked some halloweens to gather CANDY.

Where is the value in holidays? Is tradition for sake of tradition a good tradition? Is it perdition to carry on a tradition borne of some mythical, exploitative or sordid mission?

A celebration without any basis except the thing in itself. FRIENDS….FAMILY…sweet!
    But holidays? naah. maybe a little woop de doo for birthdays..after that i say stop the music.

Unseen
    Participant

As I was brushing my teeth with pumpkin spice toothpaste I was thinking how when I was a kid Hallowe’en was a fun but campy affair. Now it is so huge and the 2nd biggest merch holiday. The Church was not a fan back in the 60s/70s and made up ‘all saints day’ to wage a war against Hallowe’en. I also used to welcome the fall harvest weather as Hallowe’en was usually cool even here in the South. Now it is liable to be hot as hell and our jack o lantern just melts in a pumpkin-rot mess that momma flies are looking to raise their maggots in. Spits out toothpaste.

I hate the taste of pumpkin. Is there nothing that can’t taste like pumpkin? I wasn’t aware of the toothpaste. Let’s have a contest: what is the most disgusting pumpkin + something else combination, real or imaginary? Pumpkin scrambled eggs? Pumpkin fish & chips (deep-fried pumpkin instead of potato)? Pumpkin-flavored guacamole?

Unseen
    Participant

Look, I celebrate Xmas (as opposed to CHRISTmas). It’s a family togetherness thing only. No prayers, no saying grace, no going to a Christmas Eve or Morning service.

But actually, if Christians think Halloween is some sort of satanic ritual, I’m all for celebrating it just to annoy them.

jakelafort
    Participant

Pumpkin is yuck..but pumpkin seeds i can eat for hours on end…spitting the shells, savoring the salt..yum.

jakelafort
    Participant

pumpkin gum with essence of skunk flavoring…i might as well fess up here and now…i love love love the smell of skunk…on a halloween walk wafting on the cool crisp air announcing its presence in a respectful way.

It is one of my favorite scents..if there were a skunk candle i would be all over it..but i dont like the smell of skunk cabbage. Do you?

Unseen
    Participant

pumpkin gum with essence of skunk flavoring…i might as well fess up here and now…i love love love the smell of skunk…on a halloween walk wafting on the cool crisp air announcing its presence in a respectful way. It is one of my favorite scents..if there were a skunk candle i would be all over it..but i dont like the smell of skunk cabbage. Do you?

You are sick. What next? You also love the smell of a fire fart? That’s the kind of fart that’s so strong and pungent that it burns your sinuses and brings tears to your eyes.

jakelafort
    Participant

Looky here Unseen, one man’s sick is another’s yeefeckinhaw!

I met only one other who likes it and a few who are neutral. That is an interesting topic…the scents we love and hate.

Cut grass is overrated. Gas is overrated. I don’t mean farts Unseen. The stuff at the pumps. Wood burning in a fireplace or in the woods is fantastic. Yes the ambiance aids in the perception of the smell. Crackle of the woods, embers into the heavens with glistening stars against stark background. Log cabin or log homes also dope as a mutha.

In a suburb of northern Atlanta lurks a make-up effects creator for “The Walking Dead”. The local townsfolk reckon that he is the one behind the Zombie horde that wanders around a local forested area for just a few hours each Halloween. Zombies have been seen hanging by the neck from trees while others have very slowly chased children around the park, much less dangerously than a real scary priest. Sometimes the stupid zombies bump into the trees and candy falls from their bodies. The kids love it.

_Robert_
    Participant

Holy Shit, priests work in pairs, LOL. Years ago I won some free beers for being a pretty good Edward Scissorhands. Made scissors from paint stirrers. We never get trick-or-treaters around here.

_Robert_
    Participant

Does anyone actually like these?

Davis
    Participant

One of my dogs really wanted to make friends in the back yard and her tecnique was to run after them and bark. She never made any friends. But she did end up with porcupine quills in her face (several times) and got sprayed by a skunk twice. The first time she came in the house and after 10 seconds we kicked her out. It still took a very very very long time to wash that smell out and air out the house (when it was below freezing outside). It happened once again but this time she ran all over the place in the house and she stunk up everything. It cost 100s of dollars to get the carpet clean and to bring a lot of things to the drycleaners. We smelt like skunk for several days.

If you think smelling the skunk smell is desirable…then try smelling it on an animal running around your house. It is beyond foul. It’s not just the shitty essence of it. The fumes burn your eyes and nose. And in it’s potent sprayed form…it is a burning metalic odour that is offensive beyond its toilet smell. You actually have this feeling in your brain that it is beings singed by the fumes. I imagine for the dog, being sprayed in the face…must have been a total nightmare. Extremely painful and for a dog…beyond overwealming considering how sensitive their noses are. Even if you have romantic memories of a skunky after smell lingering in the country air…there is nothing nice about its “essence”. It is meant to be painful and offensive. In it’s pure form it is toxicity.

Davis
    Participant

Ahhh. If I hadn’t heard the comment about Edward Scisor hands, I would have thought you were “the crow”. Not being able to trick-or-treat. Sorry to hear that man. That is a major loss of opportunity. Make sure your kids can. It is utter bliss.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.