Sunday School 5th December 2021

Homepage Forums Sunday School 5th December 2021

This topic contains 43 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Autumn 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Strega

Is that a Deepak Chopra quote?

Simon Paynton
    Participant

I think it’s Morgan Freeman.

Unseen
    Participant

The reason mathematics is a toolset for understanding the world, is that it captures logical properties of the world, and so, it has to be discovered, just as the world has to be discovered.

Mathematics cannot tell me the real length of the coast of Great Britain. Measured in meters, it’s one length. Measured in millimeters, it’s far longer. Measured in Planck lengths…? Tell me what mathematics has helped me to understand about the length of the coast of Great Britain? I seem to know less in some regards.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by  Unseen.

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Tell me what mathematics has helped me to understand about the length of the coast of Great Britain? I seem to know less in some regards.

The kind of length we are familiar with is linear, i.e., a one-dimensional straight line or two-dimensional curve within a two-dimensional plane.  The coast line of Great Britain is like a mathematical fractal in the sense that the closer we examine it, the longer it gets.  Fractals have a fractional dimension between 1 and 2, so they are not things we can measure with normal linear, 1-dimensional centimetres and inches.

The idea seems to be that the more wiggly the fractal curve, the more the length of that curve (e.g., a coastline) approaches infinity.  The more you focus in on this wiggly curve, the longer it gets.

If a line is 1-Dimensional, and a plane is 2-Dimensional, then a fractional dimension of 1.26 falls somewhere in between a line and a plane. And this describes the Koch Curve – it’s wigglier than a straight line, but it doesn’t fill up a whole 2-Dimensional plane either. As we’ll see soon, the more of a plane that a fractal covers the closer its dimensions is to 2.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Fellow Unbelievers,

Here’s a story from Canada I’ve been keeping up with when I get a chance amidst some other chaos:

QAnon’s “Queen of Canada” Calls For Followers To Kill People Vaccinating Children
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7ddgm/qanons-queen-of-canada-calls-for-followers-to-kill-people-vaccinating-children

Fortunately, this Neo-Reactionary/Rad-Fem real-life Bond Villian Romana Didulo was arrested, as was at least one of her “duck hunter” minions:

A follower of a prominent QAnon conspiracy theorist was arrested following reports that he posted a threat about his daughter’s school
    https://www.insider.com/qanon-queen-of-canada-fan-arrested-school-threat-police-said-2021-12

Here is the point on the graph where believing in absurdities meets committing atrocities, where swinging one’s fist meets somebody else’s nose.

This is the line in the sand we must never allow anyone to cross if we are to have a free and civilized society.

Individuals have the right to believe and express any absurd and even hateful crap that they choose. They have a right to peaceably assemble and associate or not associate as they choose. They have a right to keep and bear arms for legitimate self-defense, actual hunting, and harmless sport.

What no one has a right to do is communicate threats, form violent gangs, and use arms to kidnap and murder the innocent.

And while extortion, false imprisonment, and unjustified killing with premeditation and malice aforethought is wrong against anyone, it is especially evil when directed against people who provide health-saving, life-saving medicines and treatment to children.

It is worst of all when done under color of a divinely-appointed title for some “higher cause” or “greater good,” as was the case with this “Queen of Canada” Romana Didulo.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (“The Mounties”) have a reputation that they “always get their man.”

I am equally glad that they got this delusions-of-grandeur psycho-bitch and one of her “duck hunter” sheeple. I hope that The Mounties clean out the rest of the Wannabe “Duck Dynasty” and hope everyone stays aware of other threats like them.

@stregaMath is a tool, not a mystery to be unfolded 🙂

I have been reading the AP Calculus book that my niece is studying. It is a mystery to me 🙂

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Marge and Homer’s ice cream argument, or why meta-ethics matters.

The question remains, what is goodness?  What does it mean to be good?  I think that goodness falls within three domains: 1) maximising the well being of the group or team as a whole (respecting order and tradition, responsibility, duty, etc.); 2) maxising the well being of individuals and interpersonal situations (rights, respect, fairness, egalitarianism, compassion); 3) strengthening sacred values (can be anything we find of infinite value).

In each one, the good of something is being maximised, by achieving goals (moral values) using policies for achieving those goals (virtues).

jakelafort
    Participant

Enco: Individuals have the right to believe and express any absurd and even hateful crap that they choose. They have a right to peaceably assemble and associate or not associate as they choose. They have a right to keep and bear arms for legitimate self-defense, actual hunting, and harmless sport.

What no one has a right to do is communicate threats, form violent gangs, and use arms to kidnap and murder the innocent.

Good plan Enco. Allow the Jew haters in Nazi Germany to have their say. We’ll get to em by kristallnacht, OR NOT. Lets allow Champions of conspiracy theories to have free reign. All speech is free meanwhile their numbers swell so that the line in the sand is certain to be long. And the laundry list of hate groups can spew racist rhetoric indefinitely as long as they’re only making de facto threats against an entire racial or ethnic group. The numbers of KKK members only reached 4 million so it is cool to make hate speech cool. But hey once it comes to threatening an individual in that group we draw a line. Speech is sacrosanct and innocent citizens die because of the mindless application of a constitutional right.

Lets wait until a nuke is on the verge of launching. Lets set the tinder box ablaze and then draw a line.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

Those “Aryan Pure Supermen” couldn’t find anything more stylin’ and profilin’ to ride than a U-Haul? And they had to take several trips riding everyone back and forth? That sounds like they have a pathetic grasp of logistics.

Don’t get me wrong, people need to be aware of them, but pointing and laughing and making a pocket comb moustache at them is all these guys rate for this march.

The QAnon Queen and her “duck hunters,” however, were a very different story. Not merely did they make kidnapping and death threats to medical personnel serving children, but they send extortion letters to “cease-and-desist” vaccine efforts to businesses and governments across national borders. This puts them clearly in the category of international terrorists and they deserved all they got and no doubt will get.

In either case, I flash my vaccine bandage and say this:

Kyle delivered. Me, I just lay in wait. Maybe whittle and duct tape some crossbow ammo.😎

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Look, Jake,The Mounties got the pageboy-haired Queen and one of her minions and with a little forensic data-digging, the rest will follow. And The Mounties not only “got their men (er, persons,)” but struck the G-for-Goldilocks Spot on civil liberties.

And the Klan of which you speak is no more than a few thousand anymore, vastly less than they were in the Twenties.

All-in-all, while “eternal vigilance is the price of Liberty,” we’ve also dodged some big bullets and have the luxury to take vigilance in shifts, with many more people and technology on the side of Enlightenment.

So, take a little break and celebrate this victory so you don’t burn yourself out! Bet on a Canadian-named horse and enjoy your windfall!

jakelafort
    Participant

Enco, your eternal vigilance is tantamount to Chief Inspector Clousea.

You did not know the numbers of KKK at its height, didya?

We are going down the drain. We are free to do that.

Autumn
    Participant

So, take a little break and celebrate this victory so you don’t burn yourself out! Bet on a Canadian-named horse and enjoy your windfall!

Victory? The deeper issue is radicalization. The RCMP are ill-equipped with deal with that. In the previous election the People’s Party of Canada—an irrational, knee-jerk reaction of an ultra rightwing movement—gained momentum earning just shy of 5% of the popular vote in the last election. What’s strange is the number of people who crossed from the fairly progressive NDP to the PPC over Covid-conspiracy paranoia despite the PPC being nearly the antithesis of the NDP platform.

Are we going to be overrun by radicals anytime soon? Likely not. But with each issue of this nature, political discourse gets more and more fractured. We’ve created so much media that panders to people’s emotions (fear in particular) and what they want or need to be true rather than presenting the most accurate information available. And as a result, we end up with these weird, delusional factions with saviour complexes arming themselves up for some fantasy war against the oppression of their own wild imaginations.

The fact that we need the RCMP for this shit feels more like a failure.

jakelafort
    Participant

Autumn, welcome back to the place where everybody knows your name.

Autumn
    Participant

I was busy making my way in the world today. Sometimes it takes everything you got. I figured taking a break from all my worries sure would help a lot.

Also, I was in a particularly secular mood today. The federal government criminalized conversion therapy on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity today. In a strange twist, Conservative Party members in the House of Commons and the Senate put forward motions to fast-track the legislation. Skipping the political play-by-play, it’s a sign that party leadership really wants to stop being saddled with the dead weight of their regressive (predominately religious) voter base (even if they don’t want to lose their votes).

jakelafort
    Participant

Autumn you are so cheerful.

In the USA that legislation might be deemed an infringement of free exercise.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.