The nicest bigot I’ve ever met

Homepage Forums Small Talk The nicest bigot I’ve ever met

This topic contains 60 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by   1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author

Participant

Please don’t take the remark about “hike up your big-girl panties” personal or as a yard-dog come-on. It means “get your courage up” and most people who use the saying say it to men, women, transgendered, or people who identify as attack helicopters.😁

If you’re gonna use a transphobic dogwhistle as a joke, you should at least get the other terminology right. Other wise it kind of confuses what side of the joke you’re on.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Autumn,

It is neither Transphobic nor is it whistling dogs or any other living thing except for beings with funny bones. Presumably, funny bones are not removed in transitioning.

In fact, the meme was the creation of Isabel Fall, a Trans Woman Sci-Fi writer, who caught a bunch of shit for it from her self-proclaimed Trans “community”:

I Sexually Identify as an Attack Heliocopter–Wikipedia
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Sexually_Identify_as_an_Attack_Helicopter

Besides, if the Twitterati proclaims in Oxford Debate style: “Be It Resolved: Generation X Does Not Exist,” then what are you getting hung up about? After all, I’m not here in Strawberry Fields, forever or ever.🍓🌿🍄😎

Methinks you might doth protest too much about erasure, M’Lady. Tut-tut. ☝️😁

Participant

Autumn, It is neither Transphobic nor is it whistling dogs or any other living thing except for beings with funny bones. Presumably, funny bones are not removed in transitioning. In fact, the meme was the creation of Isabel Fall, a Trans Woman Sci-Fi writer, who caught a bunch of shit for it from her self-proclaimed Trans “community”: I Sexually Identify as an Attack Heliocopter–Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Sexually_Identify_as_an_Attack_Helicopter

I’ve read the story (I have the issue of Clarke’s World in which it first appeared). The story—likely an attempt to subvert the transphobic meme positively in a trans narrative—came well after the attack helicopter ‘joke’ had come into circulation.  Unfortunately, no one knew she was trans at the time of publication. While authors shouldn’t generally have to disclose things about themselves they don’t want to, questions of own voice narrative are valid, especially when incorporating bigoted language into your works. The reaction against Fall was too harsh. I wish the internet were different, but it’s not. If you understood the pressure trans people are generally under, you’d understand why the story title would summon up such a visceral reaction and also why the criticisms against Fall both before and after her gender identity was revealed hit her so hard.

The meme itself existed as a means of mocking/ dismissing trans identities and perceived SJWs. It draws a faulty parallel between being transgender and be trans[insert nonsense here]. There are many different iterations of what people supposedly ‘sexually identify’ as, but [Apache] attack helicopter was the most common iteration for a time, likely stemming from a copypasta from around 2014.

What’s hilarious is even the wikipedia article you linked clearly states this much and refers to ‘attack helicopter’ as a transphobic meme. Did you even read it?

Besides, if the Twitterati proclaims in Oxford Debate style: “Be It Resolved: Generation X Does Not Exist,” then what are you getting hung up about? After all, I’m not here in Strawberry Fields, forever or ever.🍓🌿🍄😎

Methinks you might doth protest too much about erasure, M’Lady. Tut-tut. ☝️😁

I’m making fun of you. First I was making fun of the lazy way you dismiss so-called ‘cancel culture’ while rarely taking a moment understand what it is you are dismissing. I wasn’t calling you a millennial because of your age: I was mocking how you were exhibiting the same behaviour you tend to deride by recycling a stereotypical aspect of so-called SJWs. It became funnier when you doubled down with ‘but no, my thing is real and also I’m Gen X’. At that point I was just making a relatively common joke about how generation X sort of seemed to disappear from social consciousness past the age at which you were all regarded as shit stains by the generations preceding you. It’s the forgotten middle child generation. I was suggesting there was a reason everyone was happy to forget with the sort of behaviour you exhibit.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Jake,

Like the cussed young curmudgeon that I am, I read the article about restrictive covenants, against all of what you think about what you like to call my “fairy tales.”

And you know what? It made my point for me. The very article you cited said this:

The National Housing Act of 1934 also played a part in popularizing these covenants. Passed during the Great Depression to protect affordable housing, the Housing Act introduced the practice of “redlining,” or drawing lines on city maps delineating the ideal geographic areas for bank investment and the sale of mortgages. Areas blocked off by redlining were considered risky for mortgage support and lenders were discouraged from financing property in those areas. This legislation was intended to ensure that banks would not over-extend themselves financially by exceeding their loan reserves, but it resulted in intensified racial segregation.

The Housing Act encouraged land developers, realtors and community residents to write racial restrictive covenants to keep neighborhoods from being redlined. This trend can be seen on the red-lined “residential security maps,” which essentially divided cities according to their racial demographics in order to determine the economic desirability of certain neighborhoods.6 This practice provided a financial justification for racial restrictive covenants and allowed for their popular use. On top of this, redlining made it exceedingly more difficult for non-Whites to purchase property because financing was refused in the only neighborhoods they were able to live.

In other words, restrictive covenants were largely an externality that was a result of government policy, not Free-Market Capitalism.

It also mentioned the methods used in enforcing covenants such as blocking thoroughfares, shutting off utilities, littering property, and bullying children. All of these were and are already thoroughly illegal under ours and any other civilized system of justice and governments that don’t uphold these laws are homicidally negligent.

The article could have also added that, according to Martin Anderson’s The Federal Bulldozer,, “Urban Renewal” programs, starting with FDR’s New Deal and continuing into the Seventies, destroyed perfectly good neighborhoods and communities that were open to all “races,” nationalities and creeds, and forced minorities into crowded, dirty, crime-filled public housing. Some even went so far as to refer to “Urban Renewal” as “Negro Removal.”

The article could have mentioned Federal and State use of Eminent Domain, which frequently targets the poorest of homeowners in favor of both “public goods” like sports stadiums and in the post-Kelo era even for private developments of Government Cronies. Also, there’s Federal and State asset forfeiture, which are used to confiscate private property on mere suspicion, a frequently-used legal tool used in the absurd, failed “War On Drugs.”

The article could have also referenced the Federal Government’s own role in stoking racism, first with segregation of the military, then Woodrow Wilson’s segregation of Federal Civil Service, and FDR’s internment of Japanese-Americans, the seizure of their property, and their defamation in War Propaganda, even though Japanese-Americans were among our most loyal fighters against Mussolini in WWII.

Without all of these government policies, who knows how far along our Nation would be in both prosperity and improved human relations?

jakelafort
    Participant

Enco, the cussed curmudgeon who aint ever budging…here is a quote from a history article..Racially restrictive covenants first appeared in deeds of homes in California and Massachusetts at the end of the 19th century and were then widely used throughout the U.S. in the first half of the 20th century to prohibit racial, ethnic, and religious minority groups from buying, leasing, or occupying homes.

It wasn’t legislation that was the genesis of racially restrictive covenants. It was free markets. It was freedom of contracts and it was directly responsible not for the legalized racism. And as i mentioned deeds to homes were only a part of the business of racism. One word in an ad to a club or resort conveyed to all that undesirables stay the f. out. RESTRICTED. Back then everybody knew what it meant. So as i indicated the contemporary mores were reflected in the business practices of the times. Nothing has changed. So the Kanye thing is incidental.

You wrote…In other words, restrictive covenants were largely an externality that was a result of government policy, not Free-Market Capitalism. That is simply not true. As aforementioned racially restrictive covenants predated the redlining legislation by many many decades and had become widespread along with many other forms of discrimination. Did the Fed. gov. make things worse? Yes. As i’ve indicated many times the law is largely a reflection of the power. So protect banks or protect minorities? Easy. That the government is terribly flawed and consists of powerful and baleful interests is no surprise and does nothing to make your case.

I am not going to critique the rest of your stuff except to say this. The government and business are for practical purposes oft times indistinguishable. Business influences legislation far too much. To assume that there is something independent and pristine in business makes no sense. Business are almost exclusively acting in their own interest. When they could pay workers subsistence wages and work employees to death without repercussions that is what they did. When they made greater profits from using slaves both before and after emancipation that is what they did. If they pollute rivers and natural resources and it is less expensive than conscionable business practices that also… And it just goes on and on. There is nothing about economics of free markets that inures to the benefit of underprivileged, marginilized and otherwise vulnerable groups. Not until the mores change and it is in the financial interests of the businesses do they act in unison. I will say the money is power and the best defense against being a victim is money. I guarantee that Blacks in affluent neighborhoods are being treated with far greater respect by cops than Blacks in ghettos. So to the degree that in theory everybody can make it in Murica there is a defense against second class citizen status. Of course it is far from an even playing field..

_Robert_
    Participant

I suppose Slab city (out in the desert) is a libertarian experiment.

https://youtu.be/ILcUScfebJ4

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Robert,

Those are the Undead spawn of LBJ’s “War On Poverty” and of “The War On Drugs” that’s been waging since the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906 and The Harrison Act of 1916.

For a real attempt at a multi-racial quasi-Libertarian society that fought against both North and South in the Civil War, read about The Free State of Jones and see the super eponymous movie:

The True Story of ‘The Free State of Jones’–Smithsonian Magazine
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/true-story-free-state-jones-180958111/

It consisted of fugitive slaves and draft-dodgers fleeing the Confederacy and lasted about 9 years. Much more impressive than Hippie Communes and the Occupy/CHAZ/CHOP Autonomous Zone/bum jungles.

There was also a Libertarian seasteader with a fantastic house sloopnoff the coast of Thailand. The only oversight is that he didn’t have artillery or mini-nukes to keep the Thai Government at bay.

With those play-purties, you could tell them: “I’m here! And if you don’t like it, Phuket! 😎😁

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  TheEncogitationer. Reason: Spacing

_Robert_
    Participant

They seem more like the result of trickle down Reaganonics and maybe the war on drugs. However; some of them were professionals. I find it interesting… they say they hated all the rules and regulations and the first thing they do out there is set up boundaries, rules and expectations, LOL.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Jake,

Did you learn to Gish Gallop from your horses on the track? And Gish Gallop in the same lane at that? Over and over and over? How do you keep your vertigo?

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Autumn,

How is it Transphobic if a Transgendered person uses it? And nothing about it rises to the level of Ye’s “Death Con 3” against Jews. And you’re Goddamn right the reaction against Fall was “too harsh.”

Laugh or don’t, but move on and let Fall move on too.

Truthfully, there is good and bad to be said about every generation.

Thanks to The Greatest Generation for Normandy and the smashing of Fascism and Nazism, but that “lock-box” ya’ll support is a Ponzi Scheme that won’t be here for the rest of us!

Thanks to the Baby Boom Generation for opposing the War in Southeast Asia, but calling the people forced to fight it “baby killers” was a real shitty look! And ramping up “The War On Poverty” to raise your kids and ramping up “The War On Drugs” after you had your fun were all some smooth Exlax moves!

Generation X did great by introducing a melding of many cultures together and by making Cyberspace the ubiquitous medium for that culture. But it’s also guilty of making the same Sysiphus stone of past generations keep rolling as well.

Millennials? Who’s to say? To their credit, they are the generation presently fighting the undeclared no-win brushfire wars of previous generations, so they aren’t totally the Snowflake stereotype. In fairness, much of the SJW/Wokeism came from the Greatest and Boomer Generations and only metastasized recently. Millennials are friendly to work with to my experience and can be very intense in whatever and wherever their interest takes them. We can only hope they do better than previous generations.

Humor helps it all go down better.

Participant

Autumn, How is it Transphobic if a Transgendered person uses it?

a) Transgender. There is no -ed. That’s antiquated.
    b) Transgender people can say and do transphobic things, ironically or unironically. Transgender people can actually be transphobic.
    c) While Fall wasn’t being transphobic (though she was using a transphobic meme), this doesn’t change the predominate usage of the term which is derogation.

And nothing about it rises to the level of Ye’s “Death Con 3” against Jews.

Who cares? It’s not a competition. If attack helicopter is worse, that doesn’t ease anti-Semitism, nor would the reverse reduce transphobia. It’s very unlikely you even understand the issues connected to ‘attack helicopter’. That would be a much longer conversation, I suppose.

And you’re Goddamn right the reaction against Fall was “too harsh.” Laugh or don’t, but move on and let Fall move on too.

It wasn’t a comedic piece. It was dramatic. Pretty much no one is still talking about this except concern trolling social conservatives. The initial outcry to the piece made sense. It’s just a shame it was so reflexive rather than affording Fall the time to explain. But then, if you understood what it’s like to be trans presently, you’d likely also understand why that wasn’t likely to happen.

Truthfully, there is good and bad to be said about every generation.

No one is actually talking shit about the various generations. I was making fun of you for your hypocrisy, not because of when you were born. I apologize if I gave the impression I was actually making fun of people or you specifically for when they were born. I have never subscribed to the belief that when a person is born is actually definitive of their character.

_Robert_
    Participant

Always puzzled how “the greatest generation” gave rise to fascism and weapons of mass destruction, deployed massive military attacks on civilians and maintained racism and sexism with all their might. Oh yeah, since the world didn’t actually end, they get credit for that, I guess.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Autumn,

So where’s the hypocrisy?

Participant

You habitually write off people you deem to be SJWs for doing the same thing you’re celebrating with regard to Ye. It’s not like you give substantive reasons for it at any point in time.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Autumn,

I told you what the difference was: Ye rose to the level of death threats against a whole people and had the means to fund people who could carry it out. Isabel Fall did not.

And if the Woke mob didn’t bother to ask who Isabel Fall was, how can they be expected to know whether the meme was even Transphobic in the first place?

And you know something else? They do make prostheses that move and articulate to a good degree with activity of the user’s brain. It’s just a short step from there to vehicles controlled by the same means. Maybe I’d want to identify as and be a helicopter!

No, not to initiate an attack, but to stave off the attacks of an irrational world gone mad!

Yep, just put my meat chassis in the deep freeze, upload my consciousness to the black box of the refurbished Apache, and I’m off!

The first thing I’d do is help the Ukrainians drive out every last Putineer by cratering every road leading in and every tank going around and giving the Vulcan ack-ack to any MIG coming my way!

After that, I’d fly Southwest to Vatican City with a banner reading: “Hey, Cuddly One! Get used to hearing: ‘What Am I Bid!'”

Then I’d fly over Mecca and Medina with banners in Arabic saying: “The amusement parks are coming soon, kiddies! Ask for Daddy’s Gold Card while he’s still got it!”

In the cities, I’d drop food bags for the homeless encampments and Pied Piper them right to the Mayor’s and City Council’s front yards, so the powers-that-be can see what they’ve created and what the rest of us have to live with and beside every day!

And I’d disperse Nitrous Oxide over every University and give them something they haven’t had in a long time: a good laugh!

Then when I needed a rest, I’d get back home, thaw out the meat chassis, reupload my consciousness, and have stories to recount for all! 😎

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.