WAKE UP WOKE PEOPLE!

Homepage Forums Science WAKE UP WOKE PEOPLE!

This topic contains 107 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  TheEncogitationer 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 108 total)
  • Author

Unseen
    Participant

Apparently, this guy is a comedian, but it seems to me that he makes a lot of sense.

_Robert_
    Participant

He’s pro clean energy and anti-Putin. Compared to a US conservative, he IS “woke”. But the rest is all useless, derogatory rhetoric. He’s anti-destroying of artwork. Well so am I. BTW, throwing soup on the glass case protecting a painting is a harmless stunt. Making fun of Greta T, a young girl who is influencing young people all over the world to be aware of their possible bad future, however, is just plain cruel and idiotic. His wife is pregnant because he’s “old school.” What exactly does that even mean? Is he making fun of gay men who want to be parents?

His straw man argument that poor people seeking to build wealth must necessarily destroy the planet is at odds with his developing clean energy statement. Bejing knows all too well about air pollution. At some point, if the city becomes uninhabitable will that government survive that?

So exactly what makes a lot of sense here?

Participant

His wife is pregnant because he’s “old school.” What exactly does that even mean? Is he making fun of gay men who want to be parents?

I assume he’s referring to transgender men and non-binary people who get pregnant.

His straw man argument that poor people seeking to build wealth must necessarily destroy the planet is at odds with his developing clean energy statement.

I agree with the notion that you can’t likely address climate change without addressing wealth inequality (locally or globally). I don’t think the point was that these things are at odds, but rather people who are barely eking out an existence aren’t going to have the means and motivation readily accessible to effect change if their consumption habits are defined by true necessity. The point is sloppily made, but perhaps some leeway can be granted given the speech is brief and more entertainment focused.

But the rest is all useless, derogatory rhetoric.

Agreed. It was mostly incoherent bullshit. The bit where he sort of implies he’s coming from a rational standpoint while the woke are all feelings > reality would have been the funniest bit were it parody.

Unseen
    Participant

I think he’s right that innovative technologies will turn out to be the best and maybe the only way we will successfully address climate change. Changing the world’s industries will have a far bigger impact on addressing climate change than switching to ecars and going back to paper shopping bags. And when that happens, it will be through innovation and technology.

_Robert_
    Participant

I think he’s right that innovative technologies will turn out to be the best and maybe the only way we will successfully address climate change. Changing the world’s industries will have a far bigger impact on addressing climate change than switching to ecars and going back to paper shopping bags. And when that happens, it will be through innovation and technology.

Yeah, where will all that research money come if we keep the price of oil cheap? Conservatives are such people of science, LOL. I agree that ecars are not gonna save us if their electricity comes from coal-fired plants.

Participant

The major innovation that likely needs to occur is efficient and reliable energy storage that scales well to support large infrastructure. But even if we design it, we’ve rationalized/ come to accept high cost for energy, so better energy solutions aren’t going to be sold cheaply any time soon (even assuming it could be produced affordably). Research is currently publicly funded to a certain degree, but a lot of the funding likely comes from investors who are going to expect a decent ROI should a solution become practical and marketable.

But the fact that he was targeting this talk at the ‘woke’ is bizarre in the first place. Certainly, there are many people of all political/ philosophical stripes who have a fairly naïve understanding of environmentalism; however, on balance is it the ‘woke’ or your average conservative who is more invested in addressing wealth inequity, accessible and affordable clean energy, and the space where these two issues intersect?

Simon Paynton
    Participant

The consumer tends to get blamed for not being green.  But what is the consumer to consume?  What the consumer is given has to be green in the first place.

I suppose an essence of conservatism is that it doesn’t like change or threat to the status quo.  So it’s not surprising if conservatives are more resistant to the idea of going green.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

So what was the “Be It Resolved” proposition that they were debating?

Participant

The consumer tends to get blamed for not being green. But what is the consumer to consume? What the consumer is given has to be green in the first place.

I’m loath to use the term ‘virtue signalling’, but I do think this is where much of the shaming comes in when we’re talking about every day consumer habits. Consumers can do a certain amount to create demand for and support brands and services that promote sustainability. We can also, in many cases, opt to consume less. But ultimately, manufacturing and supply chain are so complex that even if anyone does try to shop ethically, eventually greenwashing will get the best of them. Or even if not greenwashing, then things that are counterintuitive. And then there are all of the things that it would be extremely difficult for consumers to impact through purchasing habits or voting habits in cases where legislation, regulation, and public funding are relevant.

_Robert_
    Participant

Medicare and Social Security are also too woke and are now on the chopping block in congress. Millions of Americans will wake up soon enough and go, huh?

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Robert,

Greta’s parents are the ones who made her a sideshow freak when they should have got the poor girl help.

A daily browse of Human Progress would do her and many others a lot of good:

Human Progress
    https://www.humanprogress.org/

Or, if nothing else, a good Foghorn Leghorn Cartoon:

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Unseen,

Well, options on transportation and good storage are part of innovation and technology, albeit EVs are not a good one for a variety of reasons.

As for grocery bags, the German-based stores Aldi and Lidl have the right idea: You can have paper, plastic, or vinyl…as long as you pay for them.

This gives customers incentive to keep the bags and reuse them for future visits (and reuse always uses less energy and resources than recycling.)

Also, as a side benefit, it makes customers aware that the cost of business capital always falls on the consumer, so you see less littering, grazing, and shoplifting. Aldi and Lidl always struck me as friendly, clean stores, even though brand selection is less than bigger stores.

Unseen
    Participant

Unseen, So what was the “Be It Resolved” proposition that they were debating?

No idea, but I don’t think knowing that would change much for us here.

Unseen
    Participant

As for grocery bags, the German-based stores Aldi and Lidl have the right idea: You can have paper, plastic, or vinyl…as long as you pay for them.

Here in Oregon plastic grocery bags are banned and there is a fee for using the store-supplied paper grocery bags, so people are encouraged to bring their own reusable bags or spend money to buy bags. Seems to be working.

jakelafort
    Participant

Fleece the police. Increase without surcease. I hate you meeces to pieces. Rip Van winkle had to tinkle so he woke and spoke. His harridan wife had caused too much strife so he slept again until he was one hundred and ten.

When at one hundred ten he woke again he had no friend. They had died. He missed the ride. So he slept the eternal sleep. If you listen acutely you can still hear his tall tales in the Catskills.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 108 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.