Which nationalities consider religion most important

Homepage Forums Theism Which nationalities consider religion most important

This topic contains 28 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  JadeBlackOlive 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

PopeBeanie

Davis
    Participant

Wow. With a couple notable exceptions (exceptions that seem to define the rule) there appears to be, by total coincidence…a fascinating correspondence by how important citizens think religion is…with total dysfunction as a country. The closer you approach 100% the more likely you live in a failed state.

PopeBeanie

The closer you approach 100% the more likely you live in a failed state.

I looked into Ethiopia today, found it quite interesting wrt religious mix and its purported secular government, and so added it as an AZ topic. Not knowing beans more about them, I wish them luck, especially those in an apparently really really small secular minority.

_Robert_
    Participant

Of course for the US it’s the South and Midwest that drive that number. Living in coastal urban areas of the US probably feels more like The UK, Spain or even France.

jakelafort
    Participant

Yes it would be interesting to know the breakdown by state. Presumably parts of California, most of MA and CT, Del. etc have vastly different responses. In fact it is as though the USA is two nations.

Davis
    Participant

Ethiopia is a bit of an anomaly in the area and they have diligently improved their political and economic system. But religious strife is a MAJOR problem, especially between Christians and Muslims near the Somali and Djibouti border. Their government may be secularish…but their defense policy most certainly is not. That’s not to mention sectarian conflict and tribal conflict. It’s all so tragic. Everyone I know who travelled there says its an incredible country. A treature trove of touristic sites that are virtually empty, for those who dare to backpack around. Food, art, music, wildlife are supposedly amazing. The Ethiopians I’ve met have been elegant, soft spoken and very kind. I have not the slightest doubt that religion seriously hinders their development. Isn’t it almost always that way?

JadeBlackOlive
    Participant

I’m in small city Canada, & see little in the way of religious practise here. Lots of places of worship, but most seem to be at home doing yard work, or going fishing, camping etc.,  on weekends.

Strega

I’m in Vermont. It is apparently the least religious state in America. I know this, because when I first met the insurance commissioner here, he greeted me with, “Welcome to the Godless State!”  And sure enough if you google ‘the godless state usa’, there we are. Vermont.

Still, something like 25% are regular churchgoers. It amazes me because where I grew up in England, nobody admitted to going to church other than for weddings, christenings and funerals.  Being ardent about your religion is considered bad taste, as if you were warping on about your stamp collection or something.

Vermont is a wonderful place.

Unseen
    Participant

Of course for the US it’s the South and Midwest that drive that number. Living in coastal urban areas of the US probably feels more like The UK, Spain or even France.

More or less true, but the insane Electoral College system gives rural Americans living in the less populous interior states a little extra oomph.

jakelafort
    Participant

I am in CT Strega. Love me some Vermont…go there to climb a mountain or get out of ugly CT for a day. New England is famous for the cold shoulder, the good fences make good neighbors notion. Is it like there in Vermont?  Cuz my limited exposure there is of really friendly and non-pretentious people.

Ricardos
    Participant

Brazil is very religious!

Strega

Vermont only has 650k or so population, so everyone feels their opinion counts.  For the longest time there was a banner across Main St with the words “Hate does not grow well in the rocky soil of Vermont”.

jakelafort
    Participant

Home grown businesses seem to grow well in that soil. Seems like Vermonters have to take the initiative to get by. Not a lot of industry there. Does seem from what i have read there are a lot of drugs though.

Davis
    Participant

When you drive from Ottaws to NYC…most go via upper New York state. It is depressing land and unfriendly Hicks. To Boston is via NH which is insanely cheap gas for Canadians but otherwise meh. But I always chose via Vermont and took multiple long detours sometimes getting lost. Very beautoful territory all year long. Nothing but super friendly people. We got lost…first place we saw was a rural fire station. The invited me to join them on the couches where they were playing console games and offered me pizza. Everyone in their 20s and smoking hot. They printed off a map and showed us how to get back on track. In a cafe in Middleburg, our neighbouring table just interrupted us and started talking (something that takes some getting used to). Asking us lots of questions and spilling the beans on their whole life story. In most shops people were very nice, had virtual Canadian accents and had nat. public radio playing in the background. If it weren’t for all the American flags on people’s front yards…you’d never know. They also have a very european style social assistance by US standards. Didn’t see a single visible minority. Not even when I passed through the airport once (where they were very friendly). Quite a white place. I wonder why.

Strega

Southern Vermont has a reasonably present African American community. I wonder if the very northern states are as populated with those immigrants who came in via the southern border or descended from slavery as the southern ones.

Regarding the opioid crisis, most of the drugs seem to come up through our southern border or west across from New Hampshire. Weed is now legal here, inasmuch as you can have a certain number of plants and a certain amount of produce without fear of prosecution. It hasn’t changed much, other than there are a few more headshops now.

I haven’t come across much in the way of hate. Neither racial, sexual, or even political. We have  some Trumpers, but not enough to actually affect anything. The churches all carried rainbow flags when same sex marriage became legal, and some still fly them.

Nowhere is perfect, but I’ve spent time in 22 of the states here and I’m a massive Vermont fan.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.