Sunday School

Sunday School 13th February 2022

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  TheEncogitationer 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Students protest at school when a Liar for Jesus was invited to break the law.

Billy Graham Rapid Response Team puts boots on the ground in Calgary.

Protests against religious discrimination continue in Sydney.

The caliber of future Texan senators is improving!

New Zealand’s Catholic church admits 14% of clergy have been accused of abuse since 1950.

Well spoken, Harrison Mumia, president of Atheists in Kenya Society.

America has a choice between democracy and Christian nationalism, says author of new report: “We can’t have both”.

How dare Joe Rogan use free speech to talk about different opinions!! I think I might agree with JP?

The Clergy Project that I first posted about in 2011 is still going strong.

World of Woo: True Harriet, we are yet to eat inorganic meat. I shall correct my use of the word.

Environment: More of the Antarctic ice shelf has disintegrated.

Can you find any problems with this Creationists’ argument on free will?

Modern humans arrived in western Europe about 10,000 years earlier than previously thought. Neanderthal extinction was not caused by brutal wipe out.

Symmetry is beautiful, but asymmetry is why the Universe and life exist.

A spinal implant allows a paralyzed man to walk again.

Long Reads:  Secularism needs the media to stop reinforcing the Christian Right’s framing on issues and failing to challenge religious privilege. The gods are not winning but something needs to be done now to keep Church and State separate. And what about Amy Coney Barrett’s long game? Fringe theories stack so just how do weird beliefs work?

Sunday Book Club: The Importance of being Interested.

Some photographs taken last week.  Wildlife photos of the year.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Podcasts: The Future of American Democracy with Sam Harris and an intelligent guest panel. Censorship of controversial claims is not good for society with Michael Shermer. Battling the Virus of Bad Thinking.

Coffee Break Video: TED – Fact checking the Bible. What if women never had to give birth again? Mars in 4K resolution. Quantum experiments are blurring our understanding of time.

Have a great week everyone!

Strega

Thanks, Reg!

Unseen
    Participant

@Reg

Whenever I hear that smug narcissistic authoritarian troll JP I want to take a nice blackthorn shillelagh to his kidneys. Instead, how about Jimmy Dore who is, BTW, somewhere to the left of Leonid Trotsky:

and

or how about Russell Brand, the British comic who’s become one of the best leftist political commentators around:

or

Sam Harris. I hope you all know who he is:

Simon Paynton
    Participant

Whenever I hear that smug narcissistic authoritarian troll JP I want to take a nice blackthorn shillelagh to his kidneys.

Left wing and woke people accuse him of being alt-right, because he’s not left wing or woke (as in, authoritarian left).  He’s a moderate progressive by politics.

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg and Fellow Unbelievers,

I try not to comment about on-going incidents of cancel/call-out culture, because, hey, one life to live. Since this 15 minutes of huckle-buck appears over, though, I will say Joe Rogan was almost a victim of a serious smearing.

Joe Rogan really is just a conversationalist and a very good one, considering he helped introduce The Four Horsemen of Atheism to a popular audience and did a lot of personal lambasting of religion in his stand-up act. (Parenthetically, he was hilarious with the rest of the cast of NewsRadio, a Nineties comedy classic which is still on the air on the HD rabbit-ears station RewindTV.)

And unlike Gwyneth Paltrow, Joe Rogan wasn’t peddling a $75 a cover Goop Magazine and quack remedies and seminars for Hundreds or Thousands of $Dollars. Gwyneth needs to stick with being Pepper Potts in the Marvel movies and ditch the Woo-Witchery.

And one thing I would never do with any celebrity is turn to them for medical advice unless they are also medical professionals who show their homework.

So far in the COVID-19 crisis, the biggest most dangerous purveyors of Misinformation, Disinformation, and Malinformation (MDM *GROWL!* 🦁) has been the very government agencies and bureaucrats tasked with fighting the pandemic/endemic. And yet some want these agencies and bureaucrats to have the power to shut down anything they deem MDM.

Cervantes said it best: “Who watches the Watchmen?”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.