Sunday School

Sunday School 3rd April 2022

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Autumn 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Will the Christian Right’s love affair with Putin be wrecked by his invasion of Ukraine?

The Cuddly One has made yet another apology for crimes against humanity. This time it’s for the deplorable conduct of members of the Catholic Church in Canada.

I agree and I never let these moments to dissent pass over me.

When you believe God is on your side, nothing is off limits.

Two new empirical studies on the influence of Nones in law and religion cases.

Nearly 240 anti-LGBTQ bills filed in 2022 so far, most of them targeting trans people.

Should Americans be able to wear their faith on their sleeve or on the 50-Yard line?

Saudi Arabia must lift Raif Badawi’s travel ban.

World of Woo: 6 tips to fact-check and identify misinformation online.

Environment: The IPCC Report and “The Physics of Climate Change” by Lawrence Krauss.

The Human Genome Project is finally finished.

Wow! The Milky Way is almost as old as the Universe itself. Look up at some of it this April.

If an exoplanet has life on it, how would we know?

Study conspiracy theories with compassion.

10 myths about Evolution.

Long Reads: Why teachers are afraid to teach history. 20 Days in Mariupol. Fuck Work.

Sunday Book Club: Horizons: The Global Origins of Modern Science.

Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil……

Podcast: Journey of the Mind: How Thinking Emerged from Chaos.

Coffee Break Video: New Rule: Bath Salt Conservatism with Bill Maher. Jim Al-Khalili: How to live a more rational, scientific life. April 5th – A conversation with founder of the Open Russia movement and Putin critic Mikhail Khodorkovsky.

Have a great week everyone!

Strega

Thanks, Reg!!!

_Robert_
    Participant

re: Environment: The IPCC Report and “The Physics of Climate Change” by Lawrence Krauss.

Greenland’s ice sheet is melting at an accelerating rate. The tipping point value of temperature rise, beyond which its complete disappearance (over the course of centuries) is uncertain. It could be as high as 7 degrees Celsius, or as low as 1.5-2 degree Celsius. The loss of Greenland’s ice sheet would raise sea levels by 7 meters. This has happened several times in the past.

At 4 or 5 meters my house is a navigable seaway.

The sand that some people have their heads buried in is about to become rather wet. I don’t understand why permission is given to continue to build along some coastlines like further south along the Keys. My family recently sold the condo up in PCB and climate change was part of the reason for doing so.

Here is another good article on the topic. And if you really want to cheer yourself up check out this interactive map

jakelafort
    Participant

Robert, Florida isn’t seaworthy.

Reg, good time to sell as R.E. is appreciating like a humdinger and a hootenannie. Although the buy back some other place is a stinger. But this whole topic is of interest to me. I mean the herd mentality that oh i guess everything is fine and jim dandy cuz nobody else seems worried.

Can you imagine the panic? When there is no denying that Florida is doomed to Davy Jones locker there is gonna be a mass exodus.

_Robert_
    Participant

Robert, Florida isn’t seaworthy. Reg, good time to sell as R.E. is appreciating like a humdinger and a hootenannie. Although the buy back some other place is a stinger. But this whole topic is of interest to me. I mean the herd mentality that oh i guess everything is fine and jim dandy cuz nobody else seems worried. Can you imagine the panic? When there is no denying that Florida is doomed to Davy Jones locker there is gonna be a mass exodus.

When the barrier island starts flooding, I’ll sell my house for billions of rubles.

Unseen
    Participant

@Reg

I think I must need a new drug, because it looks to me like you reference the “nones” story twice. If true, is that what one of my philo profs called, “attempted proof by repetition”?

Unseen
    Participant

My Sunday School contribution this week falls under the heading, “Fighting off Woo.”

Dr. John Campbell is a levelheaded, “just the facts, m’am,” unbiased expert source on Covid information. You might want to subscribe to his Youtube channel. Here he goes over the recently-released Pfizer documents that the FDA wanted to postpone revealing for 55 years. It reveals a lot of injurious side effects that received little or no discussion by the CDC or the mainstream media. Minor media attempting to talk about them were deplatformed by Youtube, Twitter, and other social media who increasingly seem to have become an unofficial arm of the government’s PR apparatus.

Unseen
    Participant

re: Environment: The IPCC Report and “The Physics of Climate Change” by Lawrence Krauss.

Greenland’s ice sheet is melting at an accelerating rate. The tipping point value of temperature rise, beyond which its complete disappearance (over the course of centuries) is uncertain. It could be as high as 7 degrees Celsius, or as low as 1.5-2 degree Celsius. The loss of Greenland’s ice sheet would raise sea levels by 7 meters. This has happened several times in the past.

At 4 or 5 meters my house is a navigable seaway.

Oh, Bob, you’re so glass-half-empty. Think of the navigation and business opportunities:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/02/ice-melting-arctic-transport-route-industry/

TheEncogitationer
    Participant

Reg,

One of my many small dissents is with something I deal with at work and in commerce: it is the salutation “Have A Blessed Day.”

My Picardian response is always: “I’ll Make It So.” 😁

_Robert_
    Participant

Here it is.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/adverse-events.html

FDA requires healthcare providers to report any death after COVID-19 vaccination to VAERS, even if it’s unclear whether the vaccine was the cause. Reports of adverse events to VAERS following vaccination, including deaths, do not necessarily mean that a vaccine caused a health problem. More than 559 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines were administered in the United States from December 14, 2020, through March 28, 2022. During this time, VAERS received 13,637 preliminary reports of death (0.0024%) among people who received a COVID-19 vaccine. CDC and FDA clinicians review reports of death to VAERS including death certificates, autopsy, and medical records.

OK, so around 1.2% of US people who got COVID-19 died. 0.0024% MAY HAVE DIED from getting the vaccine. The real number may be much less. Now if you are older than 65 your odds of dying from COVID are much, much greater.

So a quick and dirty order-of-magnitude of dying from COVID vs the dying from the shot = 1.2/.0024= 500 to 1. I’ll take those odds.

Without the vaccine, once hospitals hit 110% capacity, the death toll would have been astronomical. Not that one million dead Americans is something to sneeze at. When was the last time something killed a million of us?

Some more here Robert on “One in a million“.

Unseen
    Participant

@robert

The most accurate indicator of the Covid death count would seem to be excess deaths. In other words, we know how many deaths are normal on average before Covid, any increase in that figure is folks who probably would still be alive had Covid not come along. Covid functions as straw that figuratively broke someone’s back. I don’t know how anyone could resoundingly refute excess death figures, unless they could come up with something quietly killing people in parallel with Covid. Something totally under the radar.

Autumn
    Participant

The Cuddly One has made yet another apology for crimes against humanity. This time it’s for the deplorable conduct of members of the Catholic Church in Canada.

On April 1st, apparently. When he got back to his papal chambers, I imagine one of his advisors said, “You forgot to say ‘April fools’ at the end. They’re going to take you seriously.”

Fuck Work.

This has been my stance for some time with the caveat that a distinction between employment and work is preserved. There is plenty of work that needs to be done, yet we can’t seem to find the time or resources. Meanwhile, we’re employed to do many unnecessary and at times problematic things to prop up our current economic system(s). So, fuck employment.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.